Re: media sharing

  • tapeleg
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20 8:43 AM
      Hi Gwen -

      I'm going to first qualify this by saying that I don't know anything about the service, so I can't really tell you much about it. I'm sure they have help pages to get you though. But Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service) might be a solution. They have a free tier, but also scale to many sizes. Check it out at: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

      Dropbox isn't a media server, so that might not be a viable solution for you.

      Good luck.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

      > Help!
      >
      > I've been using mobileme to host my podcasts, allowing people to download them as a file share. The actual feed comes from my site, but the enclosure link is mobileme.
      >
      > Now, mobileme is killing idisk, which means we can't host and share things from it anymore.
      >
      > what do I do?
      >
      > any suggestions?
      >
      > the podcasts come out twice a month and are about 40mb.
      >
      > do I need web hosting JUST for the podcasts?
      >
      > I'm reluctant to do anything to mess with the itunes feed at all, which is working properly so long as I have the file in an enclosure link. I'm using blogger and eventually I'll want my own domain but as I said I'm a little scared of messing with it.
      >
      > Meanwhile, what should I do for file sharing?
      >
      > I like having them be files that people can download, because that way they can do it from my site or from my digest, as well as subscribe on itunes.

    • Calvin Powers
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24 2:25 PM
        I did a detailed analysis of all the costs associated with amazon s3 and I
        concluded that for my podcast at least libsyn was a better deal than amazon
        s3. The problem with s3 is you pay per byte downloaded and as your podcast
        becomes more popular it quickly becomes more expensive than libsyn. As I
        recall, if you're getting more downloads than 400 per episode, libsyn was a
        better deal.

        My attitude is that you should plan for success and therefore I want with
        libsyn instead.

        On the other hand, amazon s3's free tier might be just fine if you're not
        planing on that many downloads.