Re: [podcasters] media sharing

  • Calvin Powers
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2012
      The typical approach for most podcasters is to separate web hosting from
      hosting the MP3 files, which is typically referred to as "media hosting."

      The reason for this is that if you go to a web hosting company and put a
      bunch of 30-50Mb MP3 files on the site and they start getting thousands of
      requests for those files, the web hosting company is going to kick you out.
      No matter how much they advertise their service as "unlimited" this or
      "unlimited" that. The fact is that they depend on there being a very low
      bandwidth usage usage per web site and their terms of service contracts
      give them pretty much unilateral power to kick you out if the stuff you are
      hosting becomes too costly for them.

      The good news is that there are companies that specialize in hosting media
      files and they have not problem serving up your 30-50Mb files thousands of
      times a day. The two market leaders in media hosting for podcasts are
      libsyn.com and bluburry.com.

      I happen to use libsyn.com but I have heard nothing but good things about
      blubrry.com Their price structures are a little bit different, but very
      competitive with each other. So I'd recommend you look at both and move
      your files from mobileme to one of these over time. I just recently
      migrated about 50 episodes of my podcast from a web hosting service to
      libsyn. It took me a while because these services charge by how many Mb you
      upload to their service per month. So in addition to uploading my new
      episodes as they came out, I had to upload the old episodes and I had to
      plan carefully a schedule that would let me do both while staying under my
      monthly quota. Of course, as I uploaded the old episodes, I had to change
      the web pages for the episode to refer to the new location of the files on
      the new hosting service. That was tedious, manual, and error prone, but I
      got through it.

      Hope that helps,
      Calvin

      On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

      > Help!
      >
      > I've been using mobileme to host my podcasts, allowing people to download
      > them as a file share. The actual feed comes from my site, but the
      > enclosure link is mobileme.
      >
      > Now, mobileme is killing idisk, which means we can't host and share things
      > from it anymore.
      >
      > what do I do?
      >
      > any suggestions?
      >
      > the podcasts come out twice a month and are about 40mb.
      >
      > do I need web hosting JUST for the podcasts?
      >
      > I'm reluctant to do anything to mess with the itunes feed at all, which is
      > working properly so long as I have the file in an enclosure link. I'm
      > using blogger and eventually I'll want my own domain but as I said I'm a
      > little scared of messing with it.
      >
      > Meanwhile, what should I do for file sharing?
      >
      > I like having them be files that people can download, because that way
      > they can do it from my site or from my digest, as well as subscribe on
      > itunes.

    • Gwen Orel
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2012
        thanks, this is very helpful! I don't have thousands of listeners-- hundreds at most, not counting those on itunes (because I have no idea).

        I too would rather they not just flash play on the site, because it can crash people's pages.

        these are good suggestions.

        someone suggested dropbox as a short term measure--- do you know if people have to own dropbox for it to work?

      • tapeleg
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2012
          Hi Gwen -

          I'm going to first qualify this by saying that I don't know anything about the service, so I can't really tell you much about it. I'm sure they have help pages to get you though. But Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service) might be a solution. They have a free tier, but also scale to many sizes. Check it out at: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

          Dropbox isn't a media server, so that might not be a viable solution for you.

          Good luck.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2012
            I did a detailed analysis of all the costs associated with amazon s3 and I
            concluded that for my podcast at least libsyn was a better deal than amazon
            s3. The problem with s3 is you pay per byte downloaded and as your podcast
            becomes more popular it quickly becomes more expensive than libsyn. As I
            recall, if you're getting more downloads than 400 per episode, libsyn was a
            better deal.

            My attitude is that you should plan for success and therefore I want with
            libsyn instead.

            On the other hand, amazon s3's free tier might be just fine if you're not
            planing on that many downloads.