Mixing Without a Mixer

  • jfuscojr
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17 8:54 PM
      I just started a podcast and have 3 shows under my belt. I use a Blue Snowball USB mic for my voice. My co-host and I use Skype and record the stream to produce the audio.

      I have an intro I play and I insert audio clips from a soundboard at appropriate times during the show.

      I have software that allows me to simultaneously record the microphone stream and the speaker output. This allows me to capture both voices and the soundboard but my co-host doesn't hear the soundboard output.

      To overcome this, I use a laptop to play the intro and soundboard and have it as a third "caller" in Skype. This way, it gets recorded and both my co-host and I can hear it.

      Short of purchasing a mixer (and a non-USB mic) does anyone know of a way to get the soundboard output to be transmitted via Skype without having to use a separate computer to do it? The method I'm using really screws with the audio levels.

      I guess I'm really looking for a software mixer or patch panel of some sort.

      Thanks,
      Joe

      p.s. Both of my computers are running Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    • David Jackson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18 6:29 AM
        Using a program like podproducer.net as a sound board can help, but the
        problem is when you switch to "speakers out" as the input device for skype
        99% of the time you produce an echo in skype.

        Dave Jackson
        www.schoolofpodcasting.com

        --
        Dave Jackson
        www.davidjackson.org

      • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 18 9:20 AM
          I do the exact same type of broadcast too. I also have Windows 7x64, i have a usb M64 producer mic.  All I do is set up the stereo mix (what u hear setting) and use that has my mic in Skype.  No echo, guest or co host hears everything.  Also run through sam the same way because i am live.

          Ken aka DK
          voice over for commercial and book publications (providing voice over for commercials, and audio books)
          http://www.doublekradio.com
          Twitter  watercoolerDK
          https://www.facebook.com/doublekradio