Embedded Player in Email?

  • Calvin Powers
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2012
      Greetings all,

      I have a client that is starting a podcast and he wants to do something I
      haven't heard of before.

      He wants to send an email to listeners that basically looks like a
      mini-show notes page and in that email/mini-show notes page he wants to
      have an embedded player in the so that the reader can click a play button
      and immediately start listening to the episode.

      The email will be an HTML email, but I am guessing that many clients would
      not support flash players in the email message. But maybe they do.

      Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Any guidance?

      Calvin

    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2012
        The HTML that you can put in an email is much more limited than the HTML
        you can put in a webpage.

        The best thing to do would be to make the show an attachment. Some clients
        (like gmail) allow you to play mp3 attachments from the screen.

        On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Greetings all,
        >
        > I have a client that is starting a podcast and he wants to do something I
        > haven't heard of before.
        >
        > He wants to send an email to listeners that basically looks like a
        > mini-show notes page and in that email/mini-show notes page he wants to
        > have an embedded player in the so that the reader can click a play button
        > and immediately start listening to the episode.
        >
        > The email will be an HTML email, but I am guessing that many clients would
        > not support flash players in the email message. But maybe they do.
        >
        > Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Any guidance?
        >
        > Calvin

        Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
        airlock.
        http://www.nobiliserotica.com
      • Michael Sitarzewski
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 16, 2012
          I'd put a link directly to the audio file. Use something like RawVoice to track the clicks.

          It'd be way better to link to a full experience on a website too, so the user has a choice. The website should have a full blown player.

          Attaching a 20MB file sounds like a bad idea. :)

          On Mar 16, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

          > Greetings all,
          >
          > I have a client that is starting a podcast and he wants to do something I
          > haven't heard of before.
          >
          > He wants to send an email to listeners that basically looks like a
          > mini-show notes page and in that email/mini-show notes page he wants to
          > have an embedded player in the so that the reader can click a play button
          > and immediately start listening to the episode.
          >
          > The email will be an HTML email, but I am guessing that many clients would
          > not support flash players in the email message. But maybe they do.
          >
          > Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Any guidance?
          >
          > Calvin

        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20, 2012
            Calvin

            If your hosting your own site on wordpress you should try our powerpress
            podcast plugin. It has a HTML5 player with flash fallback. There is even
            a embed option you can enable that if you want people to share your
            video or audio like people do on YouTube you can turn on that option. It
            is critical that if you use a HTML5 player from a third party source
            that it have flash fallback.

            If you are using libsyn for your website hosting you are limited by what
            they make available which is why we recommend all podcasters have their
            very own .com and then of course host there media where they see fit...

            Todd.