OT: SD. MMC cards and sync speed?

  • Bill Kearney
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      Hi all,

      Anyone out there have observations on sync speeds with various
      devices? Via wired (usb1, usb2, firewire), wifi and removable storage
      (SD, MMC, etc)?

      This being on a win32 platform, not linux or macintosh. They're
      relevant, of course, so let's not wander down that thread.

      I'd like to get a jumpstart on what sort of SD and MMC devices and
      their reader/writers have good price/performance ratios. Using
      firewire and the price premium devices using it might incur is only
      worth it if there's significant ACTUAL performance gains.

      I'm not talking about sync to the devices themselves, at least not at
      this point. I'm thinking more along the lines of devices that support
      adding storage media via SD, MMC, RS-MMC, XD, MS and other removable
      storage media. A good number of devices now support such things.
      More importantly to me, my devices do.

      Making the 6am mad-dash before the commute syncronization of a gig of
      podcasts over wifi or usb is akin to watching paint dry. If I'm going
      to speed it up I'd prefer to know just where to push the envelope.

      Is there any performance difference pushing a gig of podcasts to an SD
      card (and then, which kind of SD) over usb2 vs firewire? Not that
      it's "technically" faster or slower based on the underlying
      transports, but that it's *measurably* faster or slower given actual
      testing. I'm well aware of the paper specs of firewire vs usb and
      that's not what I'm asking here.

      Should I get a PC card adapter to write the SD and MMC cards? Or
      should I get a firewire PC card and then an external firewire memory
      card writer? What will dump the data onto the cards *the fastest*?
      Again, *speed* is the issue here not necessarily portability or
      reusability of the writer device for being shuttled between desktops
      and laptops.

      I suspect things like this will make a great difference in helping new
      users get onboard with the idea of consuming postcasts. Granted, good
      content and wanting to be informed are probably BETTER factors. But
      when it takes a hour to sync up their audio device it may well dampen
      their interest.

      -Bill Kearney
      Syndic8.com