Other Distribution Channels (was: Living Off Your Podcast)

  • Nobilis Reed
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2012
      What other channels do you see for an audio podcast?

      I got approached by the folks at Playboy last year (for their Sirius radio
      channel) but they didn't have any money on the table, so I turned them down.

      Audio content seems to have three channels; podcast, terrestrial radio, and
      satellite radio. Are there others I'm missing?

      --
      Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
      airlock.
    • Todd Cochrane
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2012
        If Playboy or Sirius Radio approached me it would be worth the exposure
        to do it for free for a period if nothing else to build the web based
        audience. I would call them today and say is the offer still on the table.

        Distribution into Roku, Boxee, Samsung Smart TV, Google Tv has been our
        #1 growth areas for content consumption at RawVoice. Our members at
        Blubrry, TPN, ProMed, Travel Cast who take advantage of the free
        distribution are gaining new audience share.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23, 2012
          The other problem with the Playboy offer was that they wanted the right to
          do anything they liked with my audio, in perpetuity, with no obligation to
          involve me in any way. I might have signed if the contract were not so
          grabby.

          Maybe what I ought to do is figure out a way to easily create a video
          "version" for YouTube, first.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2012
            The way I look at things is what is going to give me the biggest
            exposure and the tradeoff of what I would be giving away. In Playboys
            case they would only have had access to what you created in the contract
            period and when the contract ended you would be able to add that
            affiliation to your resume.. I understand your hesitation but big
            opportunities only happen once or twice in a lifetime...

            Todd..

            On 2/23/2012 7:31 AM, Nobilis Reed wrote:
            > The other problem with the Playboy offer was that they wanted the right to
            > do anything they liked with my audio, in perpetuity, with no obligation to
            > involve me in any way. I might have signed if the contract were not so
            > grabby.
            >
            > Maybe what I ought to do is figure out a way to easily create a video
            > "version" for YouTube, first.
            >
            > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Todd Cochrane<geeknews@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> If Playboy or Sirius Radio approached me it would be worth the exposure
            >> to do it for free for a period if nothing else to build the web based
            >> audience. I would call them today and say is the offer still on the table.
            >>
            >> Distribution into Roku, Boxee, Samsung Smart TV, Google Tv has been our
            >> #1 growth areas for content consumption at RawVoice. Our members at
            >> Blubrry, TPN, ProMed, Travel Cast who take advantage of the free
            >> distribution are gaining new audience share.
            >>

            >> On 2/23/2012 7:04 AM, Nobilis Reed wrote:
            >>> What other channels do you see for an audio podcast?
            >>>
            >>> I got approached by the folks at Playboy last year (for their Sirius
            >> radio
            >>> channel) but they didn't have any money on the table, so I turned them
            >>> down.
            >>>
            >>> Audio content seems to have three channels; podcast, terrestrial
            >>> radio, and
            >>> satellite radio. Are there others I'm missing?

            >> have
            >>> channels.
            >>> --
            >>> Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
            >>> airlock.
            >>> http://www.nobiliserotica.com

            Todd Cochrane Geek News Central twitter: @geeknews 808.741.4923
          • Nobilis Reed
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 23, 2012
              **shrug** You can't eat exposure.

              Like I said, if the contract terms had been a bit more reasonable, I would
              probably have gone with it.