Re: [podcasters] Re: Need help locating a podcast hosting provider

  • Todd Cochrane
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 21, 2012
      In todays age it is "ridiculous" to have someone else manage your RSS
      feed, unless you plan on moving your site and or you are hosting on
      someones locked in platform. Never ever Never ever allow anyone to EVER
      control your rss feed. It is the lifeblood of your show. If a company
      goes out of business, changes priorities etc you are screwed.

      Look what has happened in the past companies have closed podcasters
      accounts, or went out of business and their audiences are then simply
      lost because that have had no way to redirect the existing feed.

      Todd..

      On 2/20/2012 10:21 AM, Dave Mansueto wrote:

      > It appears to replicate most of feedburner's offering. Auto posting to
      > twitter is a nicety that I don't remember from feedburner.
      > Feedburner's Wikipedia mentions deprecation of the service, I posted
      > the libsyn/feedburner recomendation hastily, then did my googling on
      > the state of it. I new that there were alternatives out there. But i'd
      > wait for some first hand podcast reports before I'd jump. I would want
      > to make sure that you can insert the iTunes feed change code to
      > transition iTunes to another feed so they can't lock you in.
      >
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, Stephen Nelson
      > <stephenenelson@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm not familiar with RapidFeeds. What are its advantages over
      > Feedburner?
      > >
      > > On Feb 20, 2012, at 12:05 PM, Dave Mansueto wrote:
      > >
      > > > Domain mapping is still available for a one time fee of $5. If you
      > were to go this route I would suggest that you inquire about this up
      > front with the support staff while coordinating the import of your
      > show into libsyn. It's an important feature that I hope they keep in
      > place.
      > > >
      > > > I'm looking into Rapidfeeds. Hopefully some of the members of this
      > board could provide some testament to the quality of their service.
      > > >
      > > > Its good to have options.
      > > >
      > > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dave Mansueto" <tacomancini@>

      > for the powerpress camp.

      > rss feed for a fee. That was previously a smart option.
      > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dave Mansueto" <tacomancini@>

      > It is a service that can be used as an all in one: rss creation, media
      > file hosting, a simplified podcast blog, stats etc. It can also be
      > used as a place to host just your media files with statistics. Many
      > folks use all the functions, and many use the hosting in conjuction
      > with the powerpress Wordpress solution (WP install on one server,
      > media files at libsyn)

      > control is your rss feed. That's what gets submitted to iTunes, and
      > what folks subscribe to in podcatchers. Controlling the rss feed, or
      > at the very least utilizing feedburner gives you the ability to leave
      > one service provider for another. The reality is that many folks keep
      > track of shows via facebook and twitter too, walled gardens that they
      > are. So making yourself as sticky as possible, and diversifying your
      > connections to your audience is important. Twitter, Facebook, email
      > lists, etc

      > And it's dang true the more you control your destiny(your domains,
      > websites media files) the better off you are. Using multiple services
      > means you are not at the mercy of one company. We all company's come
      > and go. But you want a solution that works for you.

      > feedburner and submit their feed to iTunes. We used to joke that
      > feedburner was a condom for your feed. It's an easy way to play it
      > safe and get going easily. But then have a plan to eventually move to
> [...]

    • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
      Message 55 of 55 , Feb 23, 2012
        Amen to that Todd, so true.  Its the time in the trenches spent learning and perfecting your craft and spend an amazing amount of time growing your listnership while not in front of the mic.

        Ken aka DK
        voice over for commercial and book publications (providing voice over for commercials, and audio books)
        http://www.doublekradio.com
        Twitter  watercoolerDK
        https://www.facebook.com/doublekradio