Re: [podcasters] Need tips for interview questions

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
      And stolen from another web site:

      1) Who are you? What do you do?

      2) What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine?

      3) What are the most important elements of good writing? According to you,
      what tools are must-haves for writers?

      4) What motivates you to write?

      5) Do you ever suffer from writer�s block? If so, what do you do about it?

      6) Do you have any advice for other writers?

      7) What is the message in your book? What are your readers� reactions to it?

      8) Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

      9) What are your current / future projects?

      10) What book(s) / author(s) have influenced your life and writing?

      On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hey folks!
      >
      > We've decided to add additional episodes for our podcast in the form of
      > interviews with authors. When we've done interviews in the past they've
      > been with political candidates and the question base is pretty straight
      > forward. There are some with writers that are also standard, but I wanted
      > to get the community's input.
      >
      > What would be questions to always ask and questions to steer clear of for
      > authors?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Until Later!
      > C. Hatton Humphrey
      > http://www.eastcoastconservative.com
      >
      > No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of
      > electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

      Best,

      ---Dan
      http://danhughes.net
      http://danhughesbooks.com
      http://treasuremanual.com
      http://slowpitchbook.com
      http://danhughesautographs.com
      http://thetreasurecorner.com
      http://thesoftballcorner.com
      http://radiofun.info

    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
        And finally, several more suggestions here:

        http://jlwylie.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/brainstorm-interesting-author-interview-questions/

        Are you sorry you asked?

        ---Dan

        On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hey folks!
        >
        > We've decided to add additional episodes for our podcast in the form of
        > interviews with authors. When we've done interviews in the past they've
        > been with political candidates and the question base is pretty straight
        > forward. There are some with writers that are also standard, but I wanted
        > to get the community's input.
        >
        > What would be questions to always ask and questions to steer clear of for
        > authors?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Until Later!
        > C. Hatton Humphrey
        > http://www.eastcoastconservative.com
        >
        > No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of
        > electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://treasuremanual.com
        http://slowpitchbook.com
        http://danhughesautographs.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • Andrew Darlow
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
          Hi C. Hatton:

          I've written two books and have been fortunate to have been interviewed by a number of different people, from video podcast hosts to newspaper reporters. I've also interviewed many writers as editor of a photo magazine.

          Here are a few questions that I would almost always ask:

          Is there anything that got left on the "cutting room floor" that you'd like to share with us?
          Where can people find excerpts or sample chapters from the book?
          I would steer clear of these questions: "How much was your advance?"
          Was the book written for a particular audience?
          Can you read a short excerpt from the book and give us some details about it?

          This post has a link to an interview that I recently did for WLOB (Maine):
          http://photopettips.com/2011/11/14/recent-wlob-maine-interview-on-holiday-photo-tips-available-for-download/

          and here is a link to a text-based Q&A interview related to my other book on printing:

          http://www.dpandi.com/features/darlow301/index.html

          All the best and good luck with the show!

          Andrew

          Andrew Darlow
          Editor, The Imaging Buffet
          http://www.imagingbuffet.com
          Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
          An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
          and
          Pet Photography 101:
          Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
          http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

          On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:58 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey wrote:

          > Hey folks!
          >
          > We've decided to add additional episodes for our podcast in the form of
          > interviews with authors. When we've done interviews in the past they've
          > been with political candidates and the question base is pretty straight
          > forward. There are some with writers that are also standard, but I wanted
          > to get the community's input.
          >
          > What would be questions to always ask and questions to steer clear of for
          > authors?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Until Later!
          > C. Hatton Humphrey
          > http://www.eastcoastconservative.com
          >
          > No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of
          > electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

        • tapeleg
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2012
            The best interviews are conversations, so the best thing you can do is listen to the person you are interviewing and follow up with something appropriate.

            This article does a pretty good job of covering the bases, and I recommend it to anyone doing interviews:

            http://colinmarshall.typepad.com/blog/2010/02/what-i-can-tell-you-about-interviewing-after-conducting-editing-and-broadcasting-100-of-them.html

            Good luck!
          • peter jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16, 2012
              Sometimes it helps to have a conceptual framework (model) in hand and mind, to act as an aide-mémoire to jog the memory and provide a foundation for structure; what questions have I asked? What questions may remain?

              In health this is crucial for nursing and medical students.

              Hodges' model can provide such a framework:

              http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/

              indicative content
              http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/quads.htm

              This framework is easy to understand, free and it includes the individual - person-centered perspective, in addition to the group - population.

              The model is generic, situated and applicable universally. You can use it on paper, white/blackboard or as a cognitive tool whilst interviewing.

              I'd be pleased to assist forwarding a paper, be interviewed, provide some advice, feature others thoughts on the model on my blog:

              Welcome to the QUAD:

              http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/

              Best regards,

              Peter Jones