Re: [podcasters] Need tips for interview questions

  • Kevin Bachelder
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
      Almost everyone likes to talk about themselves so I've found that a
      great way to get things rolling is to ask people who they got started
      writing/acting/directing, etc. That usually leads to an interesting
      story or something else that you can then talk about further. From
      there it depends on what your primary topic is.

      As far as topics to stay away from that's something that I'd ask my
      guest before you start recording. Ask them what they also want to
      bring up and they are more likely to roll with whatever topics you
      bring up.

      Good luck,

      Kevin

      -----

      Fan of Science Fiction or Fantasy?
      Then you might enjoy listening to these podcasts...

      Tuning In To Scifi TV (covering all genre shows)
      http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

      Saturday B Movie Reel (covering Syfy channel & other B movies)
      http://www.saturdaybmoviereel.com
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
        Stolen from a web site:

        What inspired you to write your first book?
        Do you have a specific writing style?
        How did you come up with the title?
        Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
        How much of the book is realistic?
        Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
        What books have most influenced your life most?
        If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
        What book are you reading now?
        Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
        What are your current projects?
        Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
        Do you see writing as a career?
        If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your
        latest book?
        Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
        Can you share a little of your current work with us?
        Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
        Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about
        their work?
        Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
        Who designed the covers?
        What was the hardest part of writing your book?
        Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
        Do you have any advice for other writers?
        Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
        What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and
        logistical) in bringing it to life?

        On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hey folks!
        >
        > We've decided to add additional episodes for our podcast in the form of
        > interviews with authors. When we've done interviews in the past they've
        > been with political candidates and the question base is pretty straight
        > forward. There are some with writers that are also standard, but I wanted
        > to get the community's input.
        >
        > What would be questions to always ask and questions to steer clear of for
        > authors?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Until Later!
        > C. Hatton Humphrey
        > http://www.eastcoastconservative.com
        >
        > No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of
        > electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://treasuremanual.com
        http://slowpitchbook.com
        http://danhughesautographs.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • Dan Hughes
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
          And stolen from another web site:

          1) Who are you? What do you do?

          2) What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine?

          3) What are the most important elements of good writing? According to you,
          what tools are must-haves for writers?

          4) What motivates you to write?

          5) Do you ever suffer from writer�s block? If so, what do you do about it?

          6) Do you have any advice for other writers?

          7) What is the message in your book? What are your readers� reactions to it?

          8) Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

          9) What are your current / future projects?

          10) What book(s) / author(s) have influenced your life and writing?

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
            And finally, several more suggestions here:

            http://jlwylie.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/brainstorm-interesting-author-interview-questions/

            Are you sorry you asked?

            ---Dan

            On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey <chumphrey@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hey folks!
            >
            > We've decided to add additional episodes for our podcast in the form of
            > interviews with authors. When we've done interviews in the past they've
            > been with political candidates and the question base is pretty straight
            > forward. There are some with writers that are also standard, but I wanted
            > to get the community's input.
            >
            > What would be questions to always ask and questions to steer clear of for
            > authors?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Until Later!
            > C. Hatton Humphrey
            > http://www.eastcoastconservative.com
            >
            > No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of
            > electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

            Best,

            ---Dan
            http://danhughes.net
            http://danhughesbooks.com
            http://treasuremanual.com
            http://slowpitchbook.com
            http://danhughesautographs.com
            http://thetreasurecorner.com
            http://thesoftballcorner.com
            http://radiofun.info

          • Andrew Darlow
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
              Hi C. Hatton:

              I've written two books and have been fortunate to have been interviewed by a number of different people, from video podcast hosts to newspaper reporters. I've also interviewed many writers as editor of a photo magazine.

              Here are a few questions that I would almost always ask:

              Is there anything that got left on the "cutting room floor" that you'd like to share with us?
              Where can people find excerpts or sample chapters from the book?
              I would steer clear of these questions: "How much was your advance?"
              Was the book written for a particular audience?
              Can you read a short excerpt from the book and give us some details about it?

              This post has a link to an interview that I recently did for WLOB (Maine):
              http://photopettips.com/2011/11/14/recent-wlob-maine-interview-on-holiday-photo-tips-available-for-download/

              and here is a link to a text-based Q&A interview related to my other book on printing:

              http://www.dpandi.com/features/darlow301/index.html

              All the best and good luck with the show!

              Andrew

              Andrew Darlow
              Editor, The Imaging Buffet
              http://www.imagingbuffet.com
              Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
              An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
              and
              Pet Photography 101:
              Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
              http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

              On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:58 AM, C. Hatton Humphrey wrote:

              > Hey folks!
              >
              > We've decided to add additional episodes for our podcast in the form of
              > interviews with authors. When we've done interviews in the past they've
              > been with political candidates and the question base is pretty straight
              > forward. There are some with writers that are also standard, but I wanted
              > to get the community's input.
              >
              > What would be questions to always ask and questions to steer clear of for
              > authors?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Until Later!
              > C. Hatton Humphrey
              > http://www.eastcoastconservative.com
              >
              > No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of
              > electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

            • tapeleg
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 15, 2012
                The best interviews are conversations, so the best thing you can do is listen to the person you are interviewing and follow up with something appropriate.

                This article does a pretty good job of covering the bases, and I recommend it to anyone doing interviews:

                http://colinmarshall.typepad.com/blog/2010/02/what-i-can-tell-you-about-interviewing-after-conducting-editing-and-broadcasting-100-of-them.html

                Good luck!
              • peter jones
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2012
                  Sometimes it helps to have a conceptual framework (model) in hand and mind, to act as an aide-mémoire to jog the memory and provide a foundation for structure; what questions have I asked? What questions may remain?

                  In health this is crucial for nursing and medical students.

                  Hodges' model can provide such a framework:

                  http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/

                  indicative content
                  http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/quads.htm

                  This framework is easy to understand, free and it includes the individual - person-centered perspective, in addition to the group - population.

                  The model is generic, situated and applicable universally. You can use it on paper, white/blackboard or as a cognitive tool whilst interviewing.

                  I'd be pleased to assist forwarding a paper, be interviewed, provide some advice, feature others thoughts on the model on my blog:

                  Welcome to the QUAD:

                  http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/

                  Best regards,

                  Peter Jones