Re: Gear for recording in noisy restaurants

  • Patrick McNa...
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2012
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Nelson <stephenenelson@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I record a podcast in a noisy restaurant. Unfortunately, I can't really switch venues (it's the restaurant across from where my co-host and I work, and there's no time to record anywhere else).
      >
      > I tried, at one point, using the Omnidirectional Powered Stereo Microphone hooked to my Edirol R-09, but there was still too much background sound, so I'm looking into cardioid lavaliers.
      >
      > So here's my plan:
      >
      > * Zoom H4N
      > * 2 Audio-Technica AT831B - Cardioid Lavalier Condenser Microphones
      >
      > The AT831B's should hook into the XLR outputs of the H4N, and the fact that they're XLRs could help me re-use them for other purposes (video, hooking up at home into the mixer, etc.)
      >
      > This is kind of an expensive rig, though. Am I nuts? (About this, I mean.)

      It might be quieter if you recorded behind the restaurant.

      Although I haven't tried it, one thing you could do is to get a couple of drink cups, cut out the bottom and push the mics through. That could block a lot of the surrounding noise. Styrofoam should work best. And it would look as if you're just drinking, not podcasting.