Re: Gear for recording in noisy restaurants

  • tapeleg
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
      The problem with lavalier mics is that as soon as you turn your head, it changes the sound of the mic. Also, they tend to be bass heavy and "chesty" (I love the language of audio). In theater, they use lavalier mics, but put the mic on the actor's forehead to keep it close to the mouth and consistently placed relative to the mouth.

      A shotgun mic was mentioned, and it's a good idea. I use Rode NTG1 mics at times, and love them. They aren't cheap, but they are inexpensive for shotguns, and shorter than most.

      Instead of shotguns, you could try dynamic mics, like a Shure PG58, which is about $60, and comes with a mic cable. Dynamic mics don't have the high end that a cardioid mic (including a shotgun) has, and therefor doesn't have as much background noise potential. The downside is that a dynamic takes a little more oomph from your mic preamps. Your results, mic to mic, may vary.

      The H4n is a good piece of kit, but check out the Tascam DR40, which is a little cheaper, and it's mic preamps sound great (for the price). What it doesn't do that the H4n does is act like a USB audio interface. If that isn't important, it's worth your time to check it out.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Nelson <stephenenelson@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I record a podcast in a noisy restaurant. Unfortunately, I can't really switch venues (it's the restaurant across from where my co-host and I work, and there's no time to record anywhere else).
      >
      > I tried, at one point, using the Omnidirectional Powered Stereo Microphone hooked to my Edirol R-09, but there was still too much background sound, so I'm looking into cardioid lavaliers.
      >
      > So here's my plan:
      >
      > * Zoom H4N
      > * 2 Audio-Technica AT831B - Cardioid Lavalier Condenser Microphones
      >
      > The AT831B's should hook into the XLR outputs of the H4N, and the fact that they're XLRs could help me re-use them for other purposes (video, hooking up at home into the mixer, etc.)
      >
      > This is kind of an expensive rig, though. Am I nuts? (About this, I mean.)

    • Martin McKeay
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2012
        I've used the Shure PG-58 mic with a Zoom H4 (not N) for several years now
        to record interviews at loud security conferences. They do a great job of
        getting the voice of the person talking without much more than background
        noise from everyone else on the conference floor. You have to keep the mic
        fairly close to your mouth and it helps to get 10 seconds or so of 'noise
        floor' so you can do noise removal afterward. I've done dozens of
        interviews with this equipment and no one's ever complained about the sound
        quality. It might be a little hard if you and your co-hosts are actually
        eating, but generally you can deal with it by using the off switch on the
        mic.

        Martin

        Martin McKeay
        CISSP, recovering QSA
        Network Security Blog and Podcast
        http://www.mckeay.net
        http://netsecpodcast.com
        Twitter: @McKeay
        Cell: 707-495-7926

        "mount -t /coffee /proc/awake /dev/brain" returns "mount : cannot find
        filesystem /dev/brain"

        "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will
        be hacked. What's more, you deserve to be hacked." - Richard Clarke

        On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM, tapeleg <tapeleg@...>wrote:

        > The problem with lavalier mics is that as soon as you turn your head, it
        > changes the sound of the mic. Also, they tend to be bass heavy and
        > "chesty" (I love the language of audio). In theater, they use lavalier
        > mics, but put the mic on the actor's forehead to keep it close to the mouth
        > and consistently placed relative to the mouth.
        >
        > A shotgun mic was mentioned, and it's a good idea. I use Rode NTG1 mics
        > at times, and love them. They aren't cheap, but they are inexpensive for
        > shotguns, and shorter than most.
        >
        > Instead of shotguns, you could try dynamic mics, like a Shure PG58, which
        > is about $60, and comes with a mic cable. Dynamic mics don't have the high
        > end that a cardioid mic (including a shotgun) has, and therefor doesn't
        > have as much background noise potential. The downside is that a dynamic
        > takes a little more oomph from your mic preamps. Your results, mic to mic,
        > may vary.
        >
        > The H4n is a good piece of kit, but check out the Tascam DR40, which is a
        > little cheaper, and it's mic preamps sound great (for the price). What it
        > doesn't do that the H4n does is act like a USB audio interface. If that
        > isn't important, it's worth your time to check it out.
        >

        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Nelson <stephenenelson@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello all,
        > >
        > > I record a podcast in a noisy restaurant. Unfortunately, I can't really
        > switch venues (it's the restaurant across from where my co-host and I work,
        > and there's no time to record anywhere else).
        > >
        > > I tried, at one point, using the Omnidirectional Powered Stereo
        > Microphone hooked to my Edirol R-09, but there was still too much
        > background sound, so I'm looking into cardioid lavaliers.
        > >
        > > So here's my plan:
        > >
        > > * Zoom H4N
        > > * 2 Audio-Technica AT831B - Cardioid Lavalier Condenser Microphones
        > >
        > > The AT831B's should hook into the XLR outputs of the H4N, and the fact
        > that they're XLRs could help me re-use them for other purposes (video,
        > hooking up at home into the mixer, etc.)
        > >
        > > This is kind of an expensive rig, though. Am I nuts? (About this, I
        > mean.)

      • Patrick McNa...
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2012
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Nelson <stephenenelson@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I record a podcast in a noisy restaurant. Unfortunately, I can't really switch venues (it's the restaurant across from where my co-host and I work, and there's no time to record anywhere else).
          >
          > I tried, at one point, using the Omnidirectional Powered Stereo Microphone hooked to my Edirol R-09, but there was still too much background sound, so I'm looking into cardioid lavaliers.
          >
          > So here's my plan:
          >
          > * Zoom H4N
          > * 2 Audio-Technica AT831B - Cardioid Lavalier Condenser Microphones
          >
          > The AT831B's should hook into the XLR outputs of the H4N, and the fact that they're XLRs could help me re-use them for other purposes (video, hooking up at home into the mixer, etc.)
          >
          > This is kind of an expensive rig, though. Am I nuts? (About this, I mean.)

          It might be quieter if you recorded behind the restaurant.

          Although I haven't tried it, one thing you could do is to get a couple of drink cups, cut out the bottom and push the mics through. That could block a lot of the surrounding noise. Styrofoam should work best. And it would look as if you're just drinking, not podcasting.