Re: [podcasters] Re: Separation & Long Tail, Inc.

  • Peter Ker
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2005
      Kwe Hello Eric, I'm Low Tech, staying Low Tech and
      happy with the few folks listening in to my Mohawk
      Language Podcast, as long as they can hear what I'm
      saying I'm High Tech enough ;-)

      I get a kick out of this group sometimes with the talk
      of commercial vs non commercial and starting
      Assosciations and Awards shows. Never a dull moment
      here eh?

      I'm rambling on and going off now ;-)

      Skennen Peace.

      http://www.geocities.com/bearclanmohawk
      http://www.cafepress.com/ohkwari

    • mcdtracy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31, 2005
        "Eric Rice" wrote:
        > I never understand the contradictions...
        >'well you [do|don't] need to sound like radio'
        >'big boys taking over' vs 'rise to the top'
        > Engadget=Too slick vs thrown together
        > So which is it?

        Vive le contradictions!!!

        I love the variety of this new media...

        Hearing Dave Winer ramble on about protocol politics as he drives
        through the south was incredibly interesting "radio" (as I drove home
        from work).Dave throws in music by playing the car steroe and we hear
        through his deadphone mic. Audaciously aweful audio but interesting.

        As Adam Curry gets more and more commercial he looses me... then he
        pulls me back in with a soundtour or some honest commentary on raising
        a teenager. "Good Charlotte" show cancelled!
        Incredible radio. There's a real Dad there... just like me.

        There can and never should be a single answer. I'd rather hear
        Eric Rice talk about his world on a 4Kbit dial-up line captured
        via Skype with audio dropouts than the "Jay Leno PODcast". Phony
        doesn't cut it for me.

        We don't need no stinkin' transmitters, or program directors,
        or marketing consultants, or market ratings, or product tie-ins...
        but we'll get them along with all the homegrown, seat-of-your pants
        types. "If you don't like it... skip it."

        Contradict all rules... explode all media assumptions...
        Praise talent.

        Of course... you're mileage may vary.

        McD
      • Andrew Baron
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 31, 2005
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matt May <mattmay@g...> wrote:
          > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:31:49 -0000, Eric Rice <eric@e...> wrote:
          > > I heard a couple of comments since I took over at Engadget. Over
          produced.
          > > Too slick. The
          > > (and I LOVE the irony of this one, no offense, Adam) 'wannabe
          Adam Curry.'

          I think this gets at an issue of being able to identify your audience.
          Because different audiences like different styles.

          Please forgive me me for being so stereotypical and broad in scope,
          but just for the sake of conversation, I would identify these comments
          that you are getting Eric as a problem with style, not quality.

          Not a problem with your style, but just a problem because perhaps
          there is some degree of mismatch in style between you and the audience
          that had been built up already.

          When I was a young musician, anytime anyone told me they didn't like
          my music, I told them to go to hell and I didn't really care or listen
          to them. I was onto my own style that was whatever I thought it was
          and wanted it to be.

          Later, I started composing orchestral pieces for local plays, dance
          and short-films, etc and my relationship to the music really changed.
          Suddenly I had gone to being in complete control of my own random
          vision, to trying to specifically accommodate someone else's vision,
          which obviously, quickly led to being more versatile at different
          styles. I don't see it now as selling out. I enjoy being able to
          approach music in differnt ways.

          Back to the engadget audience in particular. I'll bet they are mostly
          sensitive to Hollywood propaganda, so to speak, so even though you may
          be sincere, like Pavlov's dog, just the sound of production scares
          them off and requires everyone to go investigate. So let 'em. Thats
          who they are. Thats your audience. Perhaps.

          The question I would ask then is, can you alter your style to be a bit
          more relaxed and "less produced sounding", while also increasing the
          quality of the show? This is a monster task, but thats what podcasting
          is all about, I think. Unless of course you merely want an old style
          radio station with internet distribution. Thats the beuaty of
          podcasting too. But not sure thats what the Engagdget's audience wants.

          If you are not willing to change your style to match your new audience
          though (which I suppose is kinda contrary to what THEY want) then
          perhaps the audience will change. Perhaps for the better. Who knows.

          All of that was meant to merely suggest that it's important to know
          your audience. Most of us are building an audience from scratch so its
          easier to pinpoint and identify with who our audience is.

          Everything here is subjective opinions and just food for thought. I
          could likely argue against myself later today.

          Andrew
        • Eric Rice
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 31, 2005
            Any more relaxed and I'd be asleep!

            Although this does bring up some interesting points that I've been mulling over, having
            done a show that's not in production any more, and the female co-host went her own way
            and it Always Comes Up. Over and over.

            There is a place not yet discovered yet, and it has to do with the listener emotional
            attachments. Imagine (heaven forbid), if Dawn and Drew split up. And one of them wanted
            to do their own show. Think of what that sole person would have to hear, deal with,
            experience in attempting to do what he/she loves. It can potentially become a huge strain.

            Blogging has a diminished level of ego invested. You write, and you are judged on your
            words and perhaps, how well you get your point across.

            Audio, and video subsequently, have a higher investment in ego involved. You can be
            criticized for physical characteristics. You might be the smartest mofo on the block, but
            people say, 'your voice makes me want to put nails in my eardrums'.... how do you, as a
            human being and as a content creator, cope with that? Apply the same concept to video.

            Not everyone is thick-skinned. You can't obsess over the endless streams of feedback,
            because You Will Never Ever Ever Please Everyone. No matter if you are long tailing or mass
            mediuming, the same issues apply.

            Just keep doing what you're doing (unless you are governed by someone else's rules) and
            don't let it stress you out.

            And I think that's a point I take to heart personally. I blog, podcast, videoblog. I will
            create as much media as I can, *because* I can, and to quote the notorious videoblogger
            Michael Verdi, 'there ain't shit anyone can do about it.'

            True dat.

            Eric
            http://www.ericrice.com

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Baron" <videoblogyahoo@r...> wrote:

            > The question I would ask then is, can you alter your style to be a bit
            > more relaxed and "less produced sounding", while also increasing the
            > quality of the show? This is a monster task, but thats what podcasting
            > is all about, I think. Unless of course you merely want an old style
            > radio station with internet distribution. Thats the beuaty of
            > podcasting too. But not sure thats what the Engagdget's audience wants.
          • Chris Kalaboukis
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31, 2005
              I podcast therefore I am.

              I made the point a few podcasts ago in my very own podcast - why is
              podcasting different from radio? Is creating a good podcast the same as
              creating good radio?

              Well, first of all podcasters aren't as accountable as radio folks - they
              don't have to worry about being pulled off the air due to ratings. They are
              working in a plentiful medium (internet) as opposed to a scarce medium
              (radio) Even satellite radio is scarcer than podcasting.

              Secondly, if one of the tenets of good radio is that it engages the listener
              and talks about what the listener cares about then podcasting right now is
              most definitely not that - podcasters tend to talk about what *they* are
              passionate about - not what their listeners want to hear. If those match,
              then you have a popular podcast - if they don't - then you won't - but
              unlike radio, you don't have to be worried about getting thrown off the air.

              This is why I think we'll be seeing more coooperation and less competition
              in the podcasting space than in radio.

              On the long tail stuff - the root of the concept is that people liking a
              certain type of "head" may not know that the "tail" exists - unless they are
              told about it - via user suggestions or through some kind fo concept
              clustering. Therefore, people who like head media like Stern will like tail
              media like Dawn & Drew because the content is similar.

              Personally the stuff I like about podcasting is its radical nature - the
              fact that the audio quality varies widely makes no difference - unless of
              course the quality is so poor that you can barely hear it. For those
              podcasters who have good stuff to say, but lack the skills to get in tech in
              gear to make it happen and at least sound half-decent, we should help 'em
              out.

              However, I wouldn't mind if radio shows start podcasting - if there is a
              show that I can't get locally over the airwaves - I can get it via
              podcasting. If you don't like the show - you can always skip or delete it.

              Freedom Of Choice I say!

              thanks...chris
              ---
              chris kalaboukis
              thinkfuture podcast - future / politics / entertainment / whatever
              http://www.thinkfuture.com/podcasts.asp

              wrote:

              > The question I would ask then is, can you alter your style to be a bit
              > more relaxed and "less produced sounding", while also increasing the
              > quality of the show? This is a monster task, but thats what podcasting
              > is all about, I think. Unless of course you merely want an old style
              > radio station with internet distribution. Thats the beuaty of
              > podcasting too. But not sure thats what the Engagdget's audience wants.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

            • Dennis A. Amith
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 31, 2005
                On 3/31/05 12:50 PM, "Andrew Baron" <videoblogyahoo@...> wrote:

                >> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:31:49 -0000, Eric Rice <eric@e...> wrote:
                >>> I heard a couple of comments since I took over at Engadget. Over
                > produced.
                >>> Too slick. The
                >>> (and I LOVE the irony of this one, no offense, Adam) 'wannabe
                > Adam Curry.'

                Hi Eric,

                You are doing a cool job with Engadget but I think with any replacement,
                it's always somewhat of a challenge to take the mantle for something
                successful. I was surprised at first that you took over Engadget because I
                thought Phil's comment of the Engadget podcast still continuing, I thought
                he was in hiatus. But I liken it to news commentators, with a lot of the
                well known ones retiring and new people having to fill the seat, I feel that
                you are doing a good job. Different style but I still enjoy the Engadget
                podcast.

                Keep up the very good work. You, Todd and many of the tech podcasters are
                doing such a positive thing for those of us interested in technology news
                and gossip.

                I will say though that I have been jonesing for a tech videocast since
                TechTV was no more and Yahoo! FinanceVision ended and as much as I love
                hearing it, for the gadgets, I love to visualize it and I hope to see
                someone in the podcasting realm also consider videocasting.

                I am waiting for Kevin Rose and friends "Systm" to come out but interesting
                things that they are doing with "The Broken" (http://thebroken.org/).

                - daa