Live Show ?Hardware help

  • derrick_young_95
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 28, 2012
      We ran a weekly live show for about 18 month or so but the time it took to do the show was starting to get to us so we packed it for a year to get caught up on life. So we are now getting ready to relaunch the show but I am really looking to take the Audio quality and fix a few short comings we had previously.

      Our set up has a 12 channel mixer with 2 microphones plugged in. A telephone is attached to the 3rd line and computer to the 4th line for bumpers, lead in and such.

      So the host of the show is on Mic one. I as the producer am on mic2 and sometimes contribute and add to the on air conversation. guest being being interviewed is on the phone (obviously).

      So what i want to be able to do is to talk through my mic to the host or the guest without it going on air.

      so if the host is talking i can say to the guest on phone, we will be live in 20 seconds. Or if the guest is a flop I can say to the host Wrap things up this is a bust. But I still need to be able to talk on air if needed.

      Currently we have 1 headset attached to the monitor port on the mixer. So the host does not have a head set but I will be adding a 4 channel headset amp to rectify this part.

      Anyway how do i make this happen?
    • derrick_young_95
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2012
        If this is not the right venue for this question or if the traffic on this group has dropped off, I would also appreciate any information on where might be a suitable place to ask this question.

        I have tried 2 local music stores that deal in pro audio and 2 ebay sellers but have yet to get any kind of useful answer

        Derrick

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "derrick_young_95" <derrickyoung95@...> wrote:

        > We ran a weekly live show for about 18 month or so but the time it took to do the show was starting to get to us so we packed it for a year to get caught up on life. So we are now getting ready to relaunch the show but I am really looking to take the Audio quality and fix a few short comings we had previously.
        >
        > Our set up has a 12 channel mixer with 2 microphones plugged in. A telephone is attached to the 3rd line and computer to the 4th line for bumpers, lead in and such.
        >
        > So the host of the show is on Mic one. I as the producer am on mic2 and sometimes contribute and add to the on air conversation. guest being being interviewed is on the phone (obviously).
        >
        > So what i want to be able to do is to talk through my mic to the host or the guest without it going on air.
        >
        > so if the host is talking i can say to the guest on phone, we will be live in 20 seconds. Or if the guest is a flop I can say to the host Wrap things up this is a bust. But I still need to be able to talk on air if needed.
        >
        > Currently we have 1 headset attached to the monitor port on the mixer. So the host does not have a head set but I will be adding a 4 channel headset amp to rectify this part.
        >
        > Anyway how do i make this happen?

      • Dan Hughes
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2012
          Hi Derrick!

          Here are two audio discussion boards that should have some experts who can
          help you with your setup:

          http://homerecording.com/bbs/index.php
          http://www.gearslutz.com/board/

          Good luck, and please let me know if you solve your problems....

          Best,

          ---Dan

          On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM, derrick_young_95
          <derrickyoung95@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > If this is not the right venue for this question or if the traffic on this
          > group has dropped off, I would also appreciate any information on where
          > might be a suitable place to ask this question.
          >
          > I have tried 2 local music stores that deal in pro audio and 2 ebay
          > sellers but have yet to get any kind of useful answer
          >
          > Derrick
          >
          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "derrick_young_95" <derrickyoung95@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > We ran a weekly live show for about 18 month or so but the time it took
          > to do the show was starting to get to us so we packed it for a year to get
          > caught up on life. So we are now getting ready to relaunch the show but I
          > am really looking to take the Audio quality and fix a few short comings we
          > had previously.
          > >
          > > Our set up has a 12 channel mixer with 2 microphones plugged in. A
          > telephone is attached to the 3rd line and computer to the 4th line for
          > bumpers, lead in and such.
          > >
          > > So the host of the show is on Mic one. I as the producer am on mic2 and
          > sometimes contribute and add to the on air conversation. guest being being
          > interviewed is on the phone (obviously).
          > >
          > > So what i want to be able to do is to talk through my mic to the host or
          > the guest without it going on air.
          > >
          > > so if the host is talking i can say to the guest on phone, we will be
          > live in 20 seconds. Or if the guest is a flop I can say to the host Wrap
          > things up this is a bust. But I still need to be able to talk on air if
          > needed.
          > >
          > > Currently we have 1 headset attached to the monitor port on the mixer.
          > So the host does not have a head set but I will be adding a 4 channel
          > headset amp to rectify this part.
          > >
          > > Anyway how do i make this happen?

        • Dave Mansueto
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3 11:12 PM
            Some mixers like Mackies have alternate routing. Like the mute buttons on the 1202 and up actually send the signal to a different set of outputs. So you put the primary left/rights out to your recorder, or the air, and you mute your mic, but bring it back into the monitors (yours and the hosts) by selecting both the main outs and alt 3/4 with the monitor selector. This was a Mackie first feature, that is often copied by other mixer companies.

            The other option is to buy a second mixer, a simple 4 channel cheapie behrenger would do. Then sub mix the monitor output from your primary mixer with your producer mic source and send that output to the headphone distribution amplifier.

            Dave M

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4 5:53 AM
              Thanks so Much Dave. I think i have this figured out with the information
              you have provided. I think I need a combination of both options.

              using a mackie mixer or one with comparable features I can send my mic to
              the monitor when muted. then a small headphone mixer on the ALT outs so if
              i want to say rude comment about guest on phone i would just turn off their
              monitor port. I think spending a little more on the headphone amp/mixer is
              the key. the Mackie HMX-56 looks like a viable option

            • tapeleg
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5 6:04 AM
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Derrick Young <derrickyoung95@...> wrote:

                >... so if
                > i want to say rude comment about guest on phone i would just turn off their
                > monitor port.

                Just my two cents, but never, EVER say something around a microphone you wouldn't say to someone's face. I've seen it happen to too many people, where a switch the wrong way or a crossed wire gets someone in trouble. I'm sure this isn't the only reason you want this setup, but I read that comment, and thought, Uh oh. :)
              • Derrick Young
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5 3:21 PM
                  I said that in jest.

                  On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM, tapeleg <tapeleg@...>wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Derrick Young <derrickyoung95@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > >... so if
                  >
                  > > i want to say rude comment about guest on phone i would just turn off
                  > their
                  > > monitor port.
                  >
                  > Just my two cents, but never, EVER say something around a microphone you
                  > wouldn't say to someone's face. I've seen it happen to too many people,
                  > where a switch the wrong way or a crossed wire gets someone in trouble. I'm
                  > sure this isn't the only reason you want this setup, but I read that
                  > comment, and thought, Uh oh. :)

                • Dave Mansueto
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6 7:06 PM
                    In this circumstance, you could also probably use the aux send bus (usually used for effects) to send a mix that is different then the monitor mix and master output to the guest. This maybe could save you the need of a second mixer and/or monitor mixer. But that mackie solution sure does look nice!

                    davem

                  • Jason
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6 10:44 PM
                      Easy peezy... Yeti blue and abelton

                      Sent from my iPad

                      On Feb 6, 2012, at 7:06 PM, "Dave Mansueto" <tacomancini@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > I am really looking to take the Audio quality and fix a few short comings
                      > > > we had previously.

                      > > > telephone is attached to the 3rd line and computer to the 4th line for
                      > > > bumpers, lead in and such.

                      > > > and sometimes contribute and add to the on air conversation. guest being
                      > > > being interviewed is on the phone (obviously).

                      > > > or the guest without it going on air.

                      > > > live in 20 seconds. Or if the guest is a flop I can say to the host Wrap
                      > > > things up this is a bust. But I still need to be able to talk on air if
                      > > > needed.

                      > > > So the host does not have a head set but I will be adding a 4 channel
                      > > > headset amp to rectify this part.

                      > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
                      > Adorable rescue dog becomes ad sensation
                      > This lovable pup helped shed light on an important cause while making his debut in a Super Bowl ad.

                    • Donald
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 8, 2012
                        Dave,

                        I believe you can achieve the same thing with the Behringer X1204USB
                        using the source to Phone/Ctrl-Room settings

                        Donald L.

                        The Free COO <http://www.spreaker.com/show/the_free_coo>

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mansueto" <tacomancini@...>