Logic or Soundtrack?

  • Stephen Nelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2011
      Hello all...

      Till now, I've done my editing in Soundtrack Pro. I never really loved it, but I had a workflow that worked-- I recorded with Audio Hijack, put the audio in left and right channels, and used the file editor to edit down my podcasts. Then I used the multi-track editor to assemble things.

      I'm starting a new podcast now, and I'm trying out Logic. There are some big advantages. One is that I can set the editor to "Shuffle L", which means that I can edit in the multi-channel timeline, and still keep things synched up, since every time I delete something I can just make sure all of my voice channels are selected in a big slice, and everything will shuffle left. It seems to have better project templating than Soundtrack (or at least better than how I was using Soundtrack), more user-friendly selection features, and seems slightly more stable. (Although it did just crash on me.)

      I do miss some parts of Soundtrack, though. When editing in Soundtrack, I could select a phrase and hit play, and the phrase would loop. This was quite useful in making stealthy vocal edits. If someone says, "I enjoy, uh, I enj-enjoy stammering", I can get a smooth cut in the middle of "enjoy" by selecting from the end of the first "enjoy" ("joy") to the same point in the second one ("en"), and playing it in a loop. If I can hear the word "enjoy", ("-joy, uh, I enj-enjoy") by playing the selection in a loop, then I've got the right selection, and it will probably sound OK if I delete that bit.

      I haven't found a way of doing this easily in Logic's main interface-- I can set up loops, but they're separate from the selection I'd use to delete something. Does anyone know a way of doing this effectively? Finally, has anyone else compared these two for podcasting, and what was the verdict?

      Thanks,

      Stephen

      P.S. Our new podcast, The JackalCast, is about science fiction and fantasy fandom and conventions. Feedback is welcomed. http://jackalcast.com