Re: [podcasters] Re: New Podcast.....

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
      Hi Richard,

      When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
      newsgroups/discussion boards. Listeners discuss the show on the boards
      after they've heard it. Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

      One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
      my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros. So you are
      into the meat of the show immediately. They fly by pretty fast, and they
      are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional. Podcasts that
      go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
      more likely to be filed away without being heard.

      I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
      every other week. That's heartening!

      Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
      technical sense, too. I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
      interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
      poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

      ---Dan

      On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

      > **

      Best,

      ---Dan
      http://danhughes.net
      http://danhughesbooks.com
      http://treasuremanual.com
      http://slowpitchbook.com
      http://danhughesautographs.com
      http://thetreasurecorner.com
      http://thesoftballcorner.com
      http://radiofun.info

    • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
        I have no idea what you all are talking about, you can link your show to i tunes by talkshoe, you can also track the amount of downloads from there has well.  I am on a network z talk radio, and just upload my shows via talkshoe for tracking downloads.  I personally track my live listeners by centova.  All though sometimes its hard if you have people post players on there stations.  Where length of shows is concerned my shows run 2 hours once a week Wednesday in prime time, I usually have 100 to 175 live listeners plus downloads over 500 per week.  You need a chatroom for those who want to get interactive, alot just want to listen and will not come in the chat room.  But it is nice to give them that choice.  If you go live your best combination is Skype and Sam with an xfigo soundcard.  My shows are CD quality, and all I have invested in is a good mic and headset.  Market yourself with a blog or homepage and social networks (facebook, twitter,
        and tumbler).  I have been doing this for almost 3 years.

        Ken aka DK
        http://dkwatercooler.blogspot.com
        Twitter  watercoolerDK
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Double-K/141526438926

        ________________________________
        When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
        newsgroups/discussion boards.  Listeners discuss the show on the boards
        after they've heard it.  Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

        One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
        my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros.  So you are
        into the meat of the show immediately.  They fly by pretty fast, and they
        are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional.  Podcasts that
        go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
        more likely to be filed away without being heard.

        I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
        every other week.  That's heartening!

        Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
        technical sense, too.  I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
        interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
        poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

        ---Dan

        On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

        > **

      • David Jackson
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
          Absolutely. If you're getting into it for the money, that's a bad decision.
          It can be done (I do a podcast about Jillian Michaels becuase she has an
          affiliate program for everything and she's popular), but it is a slow burn.
          The key to podcast promotion is simple. Get to know who your audience is,
          and where they hang out. Go there. Tell them about your podcast. I have
          business cards for my podcast about weight loss. No contact information,
          just has my logo and says "Free Weight Loss Tips" find us in iTunes! and
          then has the website address. I went to the mall before it was open, all
          these people doing laps to stay in shape. I handed everyone a business
          card. Anyone with ear buds in, I handed two. You build your audience one
          listener at a time.

          Dave Jackson
          www.schoolofpodcasting.com

          --
          Dave Jackson

        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
            We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later

            What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different.  They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)

            Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting.  i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video

            Hope this helps :)

            Cheers :D

            Pat Cook
            HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast - http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
            BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
            Englewood, CO

            TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
            FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576

            ________________________________

            When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
            newsgroups/discussion boards.  Listeners discuss the show on the boards
            after they've heard it.  Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

            One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
            my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros.  So you are
            into the meat of the show immediately.  They fly by pretty fast, and they
            are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional.  Podcasts that
            go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
            more likely to be filed away without being heard.

            I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
            every other week.  That's heartening!

            Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
            technical sense, too.  I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
            interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
            poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

            ---Dan

            On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

            > **

          • Michael Sitarzewski
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
              That's quite a workflow!

              Sent from my speedy iPhone 4S.

              On Oct 31, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

              > We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later
              >
              > What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different. They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)
              >
              > Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting. i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video
              >
              > Hope this helps :)
              >
              > Cheers :D
              >
              > Pat Cook
              > HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast - http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
              > BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
              > Englewood, CO
              >
              > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
              > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Pat Cook
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                Not really when you consider that UStream records your show for you & will save it online simply by giving it a title, description, tags, etc & then tapping a SAVE button

                Quite simple really.....

                Cheers :)

              • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                  I am not sure what you consider telephone quality perhaps your confusing things, talkshoe is used only has a link for i tunes and counting the downloads.  If you listen to one of my shows i assure you with skype and sam i achieve cd quality sound.  I also stream via u stream but have no need for their download tools.  Podamatic is also very expensive for the amount of data used in a 128kps 2 hour show.

                • David Jackson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                    Podomatic is the devil. They lead you in with Free and then steal your feed
                    by submitting it to iTunes for you (and have fun redirecting the feed when
                    you eventually move because you figure out Libsyn or blubrry is better). If
                    Blog Talk Radio has good quality option, why does every show I listen (as a
                    downloaded podcast) sound horrible (at 32kps) why would someone choose to
                    publish at such an awful bit rate?

                    Dave Jackson
                    www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                    Dave Jackson