Re: [podcasters] Re: New Podcast.....

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
      From: "Dan Hughes"
      (snip)

      > Listenership is relatively small (usually
      > 100-200 the first couple of days), but the listeners are fans of the
      > subjects I cover, NOT fans of podcasts. I doubt that many of them have
      > ever
      > heard another podcast besides mine.
      (snip)

      How can you tell that they actually "listen"? Other than having them reply
      or comment via e-Mail or Facebook, or some other method .. and having
      *every* listener do that is very unlikely.

      Yes, they can/will/do *download* your podcast, but you have no way of
      knowing (other than above) when they actually "listen" It could be days
      later, or next week, or even longer.

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
        Hi Richard,

        When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
        newsgroups/discussion boards. Listeners discuss the show on the boards
        after they've heard it. Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

        One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
        my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros. So you are
        into the meat of the show immediately. They fly by pretty fast, and they
        are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional. Podcasts that
        go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
        more likely to be filed away without being heard.

        I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
        every other week. That's heartening!

        Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
        technical sense, too. I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
        interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
        poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

        ---Dan

        On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

        > **

        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://treasuremanual.com
        http://slowpitchbook.com
        http://danhughesautographs.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
          I have no idea what you all are talking about, you can link your show to i tunes by talkshoe, you can also track the amount of downloads from there has well.  I am on a network z talk radio, and just upload my shows via talkshoe for tracking downloads.  I personally track my live listeners by centova.  All though sometimes its hard if you have people post players on there stations.  Where length of shows is concerned my shows run 2 hours once a week Wednesday in prime time, I usually have 100 to 175 live listeners plus downloads over 500 per week.  You need a chatroom for those who want to get interactive, alot just want to listen and will not come in the chat room.  But it is nice to give them that choice.  If you go live your best combination is Skype and Sam with an xfigo soundcard.  My shows are CD quality, and all I have invested in is a good mic and headset.  Market yourself with a blog or homepage and social networks (facebook, twitter,
          and tumbler).  I have been doing this for almost 3 years.

          Ken aka DK
          http://dkwatercooler.blogspot.com
          Twitter  watercoolerDK
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Double-K/141526438926

          ________________________________
          When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
          newsgroups/discussion boards.  Listeners discuss the show on the boards
          after they've heard it.  Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

          One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
          my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros.  So you are
          into the meat of the show immediately.  They fly by pretty fast, and they
          are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional.  Podcasts that
          go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
          more likely to be filed away without being heard.

          I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
          every other week.  That's heartening!

          Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
          technical sense, too.  I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
          interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
          poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

          ---Dan

          On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

          > **

        • David Jackson
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
            Absolutely. If you're getting into it for the money, that's a bad decision.
            It can be done (I do a podcast about Jillian Michaels becuase she has an
            affiliate program for everything and she's popular), but it is a slow burn.
            The key to podcast promotion is simple. Get to know who your audience is,
            and where they hang out. Go there. Tell them about your podcast. I have
            business cards for my podcast about weight loss. No contact information,
            just has my logo and says "Free Weight Loss Tips" find us in iTunes! and
            then has the website address. I went to the mall before it was open, all
            these people doing laps to stay in shape. I handed everyone a business
            card. Anyone with ear buds in, I handed two. You build your audience one
            listener at a time.

            Dave Jackson
            www.schoolofpodcasting.com

            --
            Dave Jackson

          • Pat Cook
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
              We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later

              What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different.  They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)

              Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting.  i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video

              Hope this helps :)

              Cheers :D

              Pat Cook
              HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast - http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
              BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
              Englewood, CO

              TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
              FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576

              ________________________________

              When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
              newsgroups/discussion boards.  Listeners discuss the show on the boards
              after they've heard it.  Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

              One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
              my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros.  So you are
              into the meat of the show immediately.  They fly by pretty fast, and they
              are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional.  Podcasts that
              go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
              more likely to be filed away without being heard.

              I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
              every other week.  That's heartening!

              Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
              technical sense, too.  I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
              interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
              poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

              ---Dan

              On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

              > **

            • Michael Sitarzewski
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                That's quite a workflow!

                Sent from my speedy iPhone 4S.

                On Oct 31, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

                > We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later
                >
                > What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different. They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)
                >
                > Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting. i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video
                >
                > Hope this helps :)
                >
                > Cheers :D
                >
                > Pat Cook
                > HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast - http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
                > BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
                > Englewood, CO
                >
                > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Pat Cook
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                  Not really when you consider that UStream records your show for you & will save it online simply by giving it a title, description, tags, etc & then tapping a SAVE button

                  Quite simple really.....

                  Cheers :)

                • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                    I am not sure what you consider telephone quality perhaps your confusing things, talkshoe is used only has a link for i tunes and counting the downloads.  If you listen to one of my shows i assure you with skype and sam i achieve cd quality sound.  I also stream via u stream but have no need for their download tools.  Podamatic is also very expensive for the amount of data used in a 128kps 2 hour show.

                  • David Jackson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                      Podomatic is the devil. They lead you in with Free and then steal your feed
                      by submitting it to iTunes for you (and have fun redirecting the feed when
                      you eventually move because you figure out Libsyn or blubrry is better). If
                      Blog Talk Radio has good quality option, why does every show I listen (as a
                      downloaded podcast) sound horrible (at 32kps) why would someone choose to
                      publish at such an awful bit rate?

                      Dave Jackson
                      www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                      Dave Jackson