Re: New Podcast.....

  • Patrick McNa...
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
      99% of all podcasts make no money at all. A few do, and the rare ones such as TWIT actually make enough to make real money. (But not everyone has their own TV show to promote their podcast with.) I also wonder if any podcast that started in the past couple years makes any money; it tends to be those who were around early (especially 2004/2005) that do the best.

      But I think the focus needs to be on exposure. How do you get people to even find your podcast? If you can get enough of an audience then you may be able to make money. It's the size of the audience that makes the podcast valuable to advertisers. Of course production value helps to draw an audience, but that takes money.

      I would not recommend anyone getting into podcasting today to even consider doing it for income.
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
        I've been doing my podcasts for three years. Never made any money; never
        tried. (Except indirectly,because I sell books I've written, and my
        podcasts demonstrate my knowledge and sense of humor).

        My shows are fairly well-known to fans of the genres I cover (treasure
        hunting and slowpitch softball). Listenership is relatively small (usually
        100-200 the first couple of days), but the listeners are fans of the
        subjects I cover, NOT fans of podcasts. I doubt that many of them have ever
        heard another podcast besides mine.

        Advertising my shows to other podcasters would make no sense because
        podcasters are not my audience. But that's what I see most other
        podcasters doing - posting their publicity on podcasting boards (like this
        one).

        I've put a couple of videos on YouTube, and they have ten times the viewers
        that my audio shows have listeners. And I don't even promote the videos.

        So if you want to make money by putting your info on the internet, I'd say
        do it with videos on YouTube, not with audio-only podcasts.

        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

        On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Patrick McNa... <writerpatrick@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > 99% of all podcasts make no money at all. A few do, and the rare ones such
        > as TWIT actually make enough to make real money. (But not everyone has
        > their own TV show to promote their podcast with.) I also wonder if any
        > podcast that started in the past couple years makes any money; it tends to
        > be those who were around early (especially 2004/2005) that do the best.
        >
        > But I think the focus needs to be on exposure. How do you get people to
        > even find your podcast? If you can get enough of an audience then you may
        > be able to make money. It's the size of the audience that makes the podcast
        > valuable to advertisers. Of course production value helps to draw an
        > audience, but that takes money.
        >
        > I would not recommend anyone getting into podcasting today to even
        > consider doing it for income.
        >

        > Reply to sender<writerpatrick@...?subject=Re%3A%20New%20Podcast%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E>| Reply
        > to group<podcasters@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20New%20Podcast%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E>| Reply
        > 7)
        > Recent Activity:

        > 2

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
          From: "Dan Hughes"
          (snip)

          > Listenership is relatively small (usually
          > 100-200 the first couple of days), but the listeners are fans of the
          > subjects I cover, NOT fans of podcasts. I doubt that many of them have
          > ever
          > heard another podcast besides mine.
          (snip)

          How can you tell that they actually "listen"? Other than having them reply
          or comment via e-Mail or Facebook, or some other method .. and having
          *every* listener do that is very unlikely.

          Yes, they can/will/do *download* your podcast, but you have no way of
          knowing (other than above) when they actually "listen" It could be days
          later, or next week, or even longer.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • Dan Hughes
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
            Hi Richard,

            When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
            newsgroups/discussion boards. Listeners discuss the show on the boards
            after they've heard it. Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

            One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
            my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros. So you are
            into the meat of the show immediately. They fly by pretty fast, and they
            are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional. Podcasts that
            go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
            more likely to be filed away without being heard.

            I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
            every other week. That's heartening!

            Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
            technical sense, too. I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
            interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
            poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

            ---Dan

            On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

            > **

            Best,

            ---Dan
            http://danhughes.net
            http://danhughesbooks.com
            http://treasuremanual.com
            http://slowpitchbook.com
            http://danhughesautographs.com
            http://thetreasurecorner.com
            http://thesoftballcorner.com
            http://radiofun.info

          • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
              I have no idea what you all are talking about, you can link your show to i tunes by talkshoe, you can also track the amount of downloads from there has well.  I am on a network z talk radio, and just upload my shows via talkshoe for tracking downloads.  I personally track my live listeners by centova.  All though sometimes its hard if you have people post players on there stations.  Where length of shows is concerned my shows run 2 hours once a week Wednesday in prime time, I usually have 100 to 175 live listeners plus downloads over 500 per week.  You need a chatroom for those who want to get interactive, alot just want to listen and will not come in the chat room.  But it is nice to give them that choice.  If you go live your best combination is Skype and Sam with an xfigo soundcard.  My shows are CD quality, and all I have invested in is a good mic and headset.  Market yourself with a blog or homepage and social networks (facebook, twitter,
              and tumbler).  I have been doing this for almost 3 years.

              Ken aka DK
              http://dkwatercooler.blogspot.com
              Twitter  watercoolerDK
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Double-K/141526438926

              ________________________________
              When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
              newsgroups/discussion boards.  Listeners discuss the show on the boards
              after they've heard it.  Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

              One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
              my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros.  So you are
              into the meat of the show immediately.  They fly by pretty fast, and they
              are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional.  Podcasts that
              go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
              more likely to be filed away without being heard.

              I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
              every other week.  That's heartening!

              Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
              technical sense, too.  I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
              interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
              poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

              ---Dan

              On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

              > **

            • David Jackson
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
                Absolutely. If you're getting into it for the money, that's a bad decision.
                It can be done (I do a podcast about Jillian Michaels becuase she has an
                affiliate program for everything and she's popular), but it is a slow burn.
                The key to podcast promotion is simple. Get to know who your audience is,
                and where they hang out. Go there. Tell them about your podcast. I have
                business cards for my podcast about weight loss. No contact information,
                just has my logo and says "Free Weight Loss Tips" find us in iTunes! and
                then has the website address. I went to the mall before it was open, all
                these people doing laps to stay in shape. I handed everyone a business
                card. Anyone with ear buds in, I handed two. You build your audience one
                listener at a time.

                Dave Jackson
                www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                --
                Dave Jackson

              • Pat Cook
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                  We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later

                  What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different.  They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)

                  Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting.  i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video

                  Hope this helps :)

                  Cheers :D

                  Pat Cook
                  HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast - http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
                  BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
                  Englewood, CO

                  TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                  FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576

                  ________________________________

                  When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
                  newsgroups/discussion boards.  Listeners discuss the show on the boards
                  after they've heard it.  Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

                  One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
                  my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros.  So you are
                  into the meat of the show immediately.  They fly by pretty fast, and they
                  are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional.  Podcasts that
                  go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
                  more likely to be filed away without being heard.

                  I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
                  every other week.  That's heartening!

                  Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
                  technical sense, too.  I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
                  interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
                  poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

                  ---Dan

                  On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

                  > **

                • Michael Sitarzewski
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                    That's quite a workflow!

                    Sent from my speedy iPhone 4S.

                    On Oct 31, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

                    > We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later
                    >
                    > What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different. They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)
                    >
                    > Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting. i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video
                    >
                    > Hope this helps :)
                    >
                    > Cheers :D
                    >
                    > Pat Cook
                    > HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast - http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
                    > BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
                    > Englewood, CO
                    >
                    > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                    > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Pat Cook
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                      Not really when you consider that UStream records your show for you & will save it online simply by giving it a title, description, tags, etc & then tapping a SAVE button

                      Quite simple really.....

                      Cheers :)

                    • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                        I am not sure what you consider telephone quality perhaps your confusing things, talkshoe is used only has a link for i tunes and counting the downloads.  If you listen to one of my shows i assure you with skype and sam i achieve cd quality sound.  I also stream via u stream but have no need for their download tools.  Podamatic is also very expensive for the amount of data used in a 128kps 2 hour show.

                      • David Jackson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                          Podomatic is the devil. They lead you in with Free and then steal your feed
                          by submitting it to iTunes for you (and have fun redirecting the feed when
                          you eventually move because you figure out Libsyn or blubrry is better). If
                          Blog Talk Radio has good quality option, why does every show I listen (as a
                          downloaded podcast) sound horrible (at 32kps) why would someone choose to
                          publish at such an awful bit rate?

                          Dave Jackson
                          www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                          Dave Jackson