Re: [podcasters] New Podcast.....

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 29, 2011
      Yeah......Keyword is DONATION !!!!!  That means someone GAVE him that money.  He didn't EARN it

      Receiving money by donation IS NOT the same as EARNING it

      JMO.....

      Cheers :D

       Pat Cook
      HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast - http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
      BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
      Englewood, CO
      TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
      FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
        Pat,
        I value you're opinion but your missing something. Go listen to the No
        Agenda Program with Adam Curry and John C. Divorak. They provide a serice
        that you just can't get anywhere (noagendashow.com) they cover news stories
        that the news should be covering instead of Chaz Bono. On their 200th
        episode they recieved $2993.49 from 14 different contributors.
        Its information I value. Consequently, I dontate to them. I provide value
        (money) for value (information). I had someon donate $100 to me last week
        because my Logical Weight Loss podcast motivated her (valuable service) to
        lose weight.

        If people don't find value, they won't donate. With that said,* I'm not a
        huge fan* of donations as a monetization model (which I write about in my
        book at morepodcastmoney.com).

        Are there people making a living off their podcast and quitting their day
        jobs? Yep. Is that the norm? Absolutely not. Would you take $700 this year
        for basically nothing? Would you like to earn money while you sleep? I do.

        My issue with what you said is "*NO ONE* will make huge amounts of $$$ off
        a podcast (Be it audio OR video)." This just isn't true. There are people
        who are making money with their podcast. But the guy who thinks he's going
        to be the Next Howard Stern and decides that "I'm going to be so offensive,
        I'll offend the retarded" (Actual quote, my apoligies for offending
        anyone), and then gets upset becuase he can't find a sponsor is the gut who
        needs his/her head examined.

        People who are making money with podcast earn every penny. Cliff
        Ravenscraftt got lucky. He started a podcast about the TV show lost right
        before the networked launched an offical Lost podcast. When people searched
        for the lost podcast they found Cliff. That's luck. But to KEEP that
        audience is work and takes skill. Conent is king. People won;t listen to
        crap. There are too many really cool choices (spotify anyone?), so the good
        wil lrise to the top, and the bad will podfade before they get to episode
        8. Alan Stewart did the Marketers Podcast out of Australia, his podcast
        rought him so many clients he can't do his podcast anymore.

        If you get a spnosor you better put some things in palce to show your
        sponsor that the traffic is coming from you. You need to prove yoru value.
        There are some big deals like when Dixie sponsored the momycast. That was a
        nice six figure deal. By proving the return on investment, the podcast
        proved its worth, and the company renewed their contract for years.

        Another point is its not always about money. You can get speaking gigs,
        products to review (I love the fitbit that I got to KEEP - $99), promote
        your brand (to the world), sell a more products (because you are seen as an
        expert, and reliable because you publish a show on a predicatble schedule).
        Some people get radio gigs (Emily Morse, Dr. Dave). The reason I wrote the
        book is I got tired or people waiting for a sponsor to cut a check when
        there are so many ways to benefit from your podcast.

        The other thing that will cause a wrinkle is the term "huge $$." When your
        out of work, and someone sends you $100 that is a huge $100.

        Keep in mind, you DO NOT have to make money with your podcast. If you just
        want to make friends, get the word out, reach a gloabl audience, you can.
        It's fun. It's also work. There is no need to try and make money. I have a
        member at my site that does a blues music podcast. When I asked him if he
        had signed up at Amazon.com and Linkshare to promote music with affiliate
        links he had no idea what I was talking about it. He want back through his
        old posts, inserted smoe affiliate links (to items he was linking to in the
        first place) and now his podcast pays for his hosting, and some gas. This
        is better than a poke in the eye. His podcast does better than breaking
        even.

        Does he earn this? Yes he does. He finds great acts, he schedule
        interviews, edits interviews, mixes in music, promotes his podcast, and
        creates a professional sounding show. How many podcasters break a sweat
        creating their show becuase they turn their air conditioning off.
        Podcasters sweat baby. We sweat passion for our topics, and we care for
        each episode likes it a new born baby. When you go to your job, you provide
        a service, they then GIVE you money for that service. When you do a good
        service, they pay you more, or let you keep your job. When you don't - they
        don't. It's all about value for value.

        I think I'm moving this to my blog...

        Dave Jackson
        www.schoolofpodcasting.com

        Dave Jackson

      • Patrick McNa...
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
          99% of all podcasts make no money at all. A few do, and the rare ones such as TWIT actually make enough to make real money. (But not everyone has their own TV show to promote their podcast with.) I also wonder if any podcast that started in the past couple years makes any money; it tends to be those who were around early (especially 2004/2005) that do the best.

          But I think the focus needs to be on exposure. How do you get people to even find your podcast? If you can get enough of an audience then you may be able to make money. It's the size of the audience that makes the podcast valuable to advertisers. Of course production value helps to draw an audience, but that takes money.

          I would not recommend anyone getting into podcasting today to even consider doing it for income.
        • Dan Hughes
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
            I've been doing my podcasts for three years. Never made any money; never
            tried. (Except indirectly,because I sell books I've written, and my
            podcasts demonstrate my knowledge and sense of humor).

            My shows are fairly well-known to fans of the genres I cover (treasure
            hunting and slowpitch softball). Listenership is relatively small (usually
            100-200 the first couple of days), but the listeners are fans of the
            subjects I cover, NOT fans of podcasts. I doubt that many of them have ever
            heard another podcast besides mine.

            Advertising my shows to other podcasters would make no sense because
            podcasters are not my audience. But that's what I see most other
            podcasters doing - posting their publicity on podcasting boards (like this
            one).

            I've put a couple of videos on YouTube, and they have ten times the viewers
            that my audio shows have listeners. And I don't even promote the videos.

            So if you want to make money by putting your info on the internet, I'd say
            do it with videos on YouTube, not with audio-only podcasts.

            Best,

            ---Dan
            http://danhughes.net
            http://thetreasurecorner.com
            http://thesoftballcorner.com
            http://radiofun.info

            On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Patrick McNa... <writerpatrick@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > 99% of all podcasts make no money at all. A few do, and the rare ones such
            > as TWIT actually make enough to make real money. (But not everyone has
            > their own TV show to promote their podcast with.) I also wonder if any
            > podcast that started in the past couple years makes any money; it tends to
            > be those who were around early (especially 2004/2005) that do the best.
            >
            > But I think the focus needs to be on exposure. How do you get people to
            > even find your podcast? If you can get enough of an audience then you may
            > be able to make money. It's the size of the audience that makes the podcast
            > valuable to advertisers. Of course production value helps to draw an
            > audience, but that takes money.
            >
            > I would not recommend anyone getting into podcasting today to even
            > consider doing it for income.
            >

            > Reply to sender<writerpatrick@...?subject=Re%3A%20New%20Podcast%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E>| Reply
            > to group<podcasters@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20New%20Podcast%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E>| Reply
            > 7)
            > Recent Activity:

            > 2

          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
                Hi Richard,

                When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
                newsgroups/discussion boards. Listeners discuss the show on the boards
                after they've heard it. Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

                One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
                my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros. So you are
                into the meat of the show immediately. They fly by pretty fast, and they
                are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional. Podcasts that
                go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
                more likely to be filed away without being heard.

                I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
                every other week. That's heartening!

                Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
                technical sense, too. I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
                interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
                poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

                ---Dan

                On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

                > **

                Best,

                ---Dan
                http://danhughes.net
                http://danhughesbooks.com
                http://treasuremanual.com
                http://slowpitchbook.com
                http://danhughesautographs.com
                http://thetreasurecorner.com
                http://thesoftballcorner.com
                http://radiofun.info

              • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
                  I have no idea what you all are talking about, you can link your show to i tunes by talkshoe, you can also track the amount of downloads from there has well.  I am on a network z talk radio, and just upload my shows via talkshoe for tracking downloads.  I personally track my live listeners by centova.  All though sometimes its hard if you have people post players on there stations.  Where length of shows is concerned my shows run 2 hours once a week Wednesday in prime time, I usually have 100 to 175 live listeners plus downloads over 500 per week.  You need a chatroom for those who want to get interactive, alot just want to listen and will not come in the chat room.  But it is nice to give them that choice.  If you go live your best combination is Skype and Sam with an xfigo soundcard.  My shows are CD quality, and all I have invested in is a good mic and headset.  Market yourself with a blog or homepage and social networks (facebook, twitter,
                  and tumbler).  I have been doing this for almost 3 years.

                  Ken aka DK
                  http://dkwatercooler.blogspot.com
                  Twitter  watercoolerDK
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Double-K/141526438926

                  ________________________________
                  When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
                  newsgroups/discussion boards.  Listeners discuss the show on the boards
                  after they've heard it.  Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

                  One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
                  my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros.  So you are
                  into the meat of the show immediately.  They fly by pretty fast, and they
                  are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional.  Podcasts that
                  go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
                  more likely to be filed away without being heard.

                  I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
                  every other week.  That's heartening!

                  Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
                  technical sense, too.  I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
                  interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
                  poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

                  ---Dan

                  On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

                  > **

                • David Jackson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
                    Absolutely. If you're getting into it for the money, that's a bad decision.
                    It can be done (I do a podcast about Jillian Michaels becuase she has an
                    affiliate program for everything and she's popular), but it is a slow burn.
                    The key to podcast promotion is simple. Get to know who your audience is,
                    and where they hang out. Go there. Tell them about your podcast. I have
                    business cards for my podcast about weight loss. No contact information,
                    just has my logo and says "Free Weight Loss Tips" find us in iTunes! and
                    then has the website address. I went to the mall before it was open, all
                    these people doing laps to stay in shape. I handed everyone a business
                    card. Anyone with ear buds in, I handed two. You build your audience one
                    listener at a time.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                      We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later

                      What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different.  They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)

                      Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting.  i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video

                      Hope this helps :)

                    • Michael Sitarzewski
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                        That's quite a workflow!

                        Sent from my speedy iPhone 4S.

                        On Oct 31, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

                        > We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later
                        >
                        > What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different. They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)
                        >
                        > Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting. i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video
                        >
                        > Hope this helps :)
                        >
                        > Cheers :D
                        >
                        > Pat Cook
                        > HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast - http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
                        > BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
                        > Englewood, CO
                        >
                        > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                        > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Pat Cook
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                          Not really when you consider that UStream records your show for you & will save it online simply by giving it a title, description, tags, etc & then tapping a SAVE button

                          Quite simple really.....

                          Cheers :)

                        • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                            I am not sure what you consider telephone quality perhaps your confusing things, talkshoe is used only has a link for i tunes and counting the downloads.  If you listen to one of my shows i assure you with skype and sam i achieve cd quality sound.  I also stream via u stream but have no need for their download tools.  Podamatic is also very expensive for the amount of data used in a 128kps 2 hour show.

                          • David Jackson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                              Podomatic is the devil. They lead you in with Free and then steal your feed
                              by submitting it to iTunes for you (and have fun redirecting the feed when
                              you eventually move because you figure out Libsyn or blubrry is better). If
                              Blog Talk Radio has good quality option, why does every show I listen (as a
                              downloaded podcast) sound horrible (at 32kps) why would someone choose to
                              publish at such an awful bit rate?

                              Dave Jackson
                              www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                              Dave Jackson