Re: [podcasters] New Podcast.....

  • David Jackson
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 29, 2011
      Cliff Ravenscraft got a 12000 donation. I beg to differ.
      See powerofpodcasting.com

    • Pat Cook
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 29, 2011
        Yeah......Keyword is DONATION !!!!!  That means someone GAVE him that money.  He didn't EARN it

        Receiving money by donation IS NOT the same as EARNING it

        BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
        Englewood, CO
        TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
        FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576

        Cliff Ravenscraft got a 12000 donation. I beg to differ.
        See powerofpodcasting.com
        On Oct 29, 2011 4:31 PM, "Pat Cook" <patsblogs@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I could always use Feedburner & simply mark the iTunes feed as being for
        > OLD episodes when I add the new iTunes feed though
        >
        > I'm not looking to make huge wads of $$$ off of this (Heck, I'd be lucky if
        > I'm a YouTube sensation)
        >
        > Besides, no offense BUT let's face facts - NO ONE will make huge amounts of
        > $$$ off a podcast (Be it audio OR video).  Those who think this NEED THEIR
        > HEADS EXAMINED !!!!!  Those who DO make huge wads of $$$ are both EXTREMELY
        > lucky & eventually become media stars (The Young Turks come to mind here)
        >
        > JMO.....
        >
        > Cheers :D
        >

        > Pat Cook
        > HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast -
        > http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
        > BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://politicalrewrite.blogspot.com/
        >
        > Englewood, CO
        > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
        > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
        >
        > ________________________________

      • David Jackson
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
          Pat,
          I value you're opinion but your missing something. Go listen to the No
          Agenda Program with Adam Curry and John C. Divorak. They provide a serice
          that you just can't get anywhere (noagendashow.com) they cover news stories
          that the news should be covering instead of Chaz Bono. On their 200th
          episode they recieved $2993.49 from 14 different contributors.
          Its information I value. Consequently, I dontate to them. I provide value
          (money) for value (information). I had someon donate $100 to me last week
          because my Logical Weight Loss podcast motivated her (valuable service) to
          lose weight.

          If people don't find value, they won't donate. With that said,* I'm not a
          huge fan* of donations as a monetization model (which I write about in my
          book at morepodcastmoney.com).

          Are there people making a living off their podcast and quitting their day
          jobs? Yep. Is that the norm? Absolutely not. Would you take $700 this year
          for basically nothing? Would you like to earn money while you sleep? I do.

          My issue with what you said is "*NO ONE* will make huge amounts of $$$ off
          a podcast (Be it audio OR video)." This just isn't true. There are people
          who are making money with their podcast. But the guy who thinks he's going
          to be the Next Howard Stern and decides that "I'm going to be so offensive,
          I'll offend the retarded" (Actual quote, my apoligies for offending
          anyone), and then gets upset becuase he can't find a sponsor is the gut who
          needs his/her head examined.

          People who are making money with podcast earn every penny. Cliff
          Ravenscraftt got lucky. He started a podcast about the TV show lost right
          before the networked launched an offical Lost podcast. When people searched
          for the lost podcast they found Cliff. That's luck. But to KEEP that
          audience is work and takes skill. Conent is king. People won;t listen to
          crap. There are too many really cool choices (spotify anyone?), so the good
          wil lrise to the top, and the bad will podfade before they get to episode
          8. Alan Stewart did the Marketers Podcast out of Australia, his podcast
          rought him so many clients he can't do his podcast anymore.

          If you get a spnosor you better put some things in palce to show your
          sponsor that the traffic is coming from you. You need to prove yoru value.
          There are some big deals like when Dixie sponsored the momycast. That was a
          nice six figure deal. By proving the return on investment, the podcast
          proved its worth, and the company renewed their contract for years.

          Another point is its not always about money. You can get speaking gigs,
          products to review (I love the fitbit that I got to KEEP - $99), promote
          your brand (to the world), sell a more products (because you are seen as an
          expert, and reliable because you publish a show on a predicatble schedule).
          Some people get radio gigs (Emily Morse, Dr. Dave). The reason I wrote the
          book is I got tired or people waiting for a sponsor to cut a check when
          there are so many ways to benefit from your podcast.

          The other thing that will cause a wrinkle is the term "huge $$." When your
          out of work, and someone sends you $100 that is a huge $100.

          Keep in mind, you DO NOT have to make money with your podcast. If you just
          want to make friends, get the word out, reach a gloabl audience, you can.
          It's fun. It's also work. There is no need to try and make money. I have a
          member at my site that does a blues music podcast. When I asked him if he
          had signed up at Amazon.com and Linkshare to promote music with affiliate
          links he had no idea what I was talking about it. He want back through his
          old posts, inserted smoe affiliate links (to items he was linking to in the
          first place) and now his podcast pays for his hosting, and some gas. This
          is better than a poke in the eye. His podcast does better than breaking
          even.

          Does he earn this? Yes he does. He finds great acts, he schedule
          interviews, edits interviews, mixes in music, promotes his podcast, and
          creates a professional sounding show. How many podcasters break a sweat
          creating their show becuase they turn their air conditioning off.
          Podcasters sweat baby. We sweat passion for our topics, and we care for
          each episode likes it a new born baby. When you go to your job, you provide
          a service, they then GIVE you money for that service. When you do a good
          service, they pay you more, or let you keep your job. When you don't - they
          don't. It's all about value for value.

          I think I'm moving this to my blog...

          Dave Jackson
          www.schoolofpodcasting.com

          Dave Jackson

        • Patrick McNa...
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
            99% of all podcasts make no money at all. A few do, and the rare ones such as TWIT actually make enough to make real money. (But not everyone has their own TV show to promote their podcast with.) I also wonder if any podcast that started in the past couple years makes any money; it tends to be those who were around early (especially 2004/2005) that do the best.

            But I think the focus needs to be on exposure. How do you get people to even find your podcast? If you can get enough of an audience then you may be able to make money. It's the size of the audience that makes the podcast valuable to advertisers. Of course production value helps to draw an audience, but that takes money.

            I would not recommend anyone getting into podcasting today to even consider doing it for income.
          • Dan Hughes
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
              I've been doing my podcasts for three years. Never made any money; never
              tried. (Except indirectly,because I sell books I've written, and my
              podcasts demonstrate my knowledge and sense of humor).

              My shows are fairly well-known to fans of the genres I cover (treasure
              hunting and slowpitch softball). Listenership is relatively small (usually
              100-200 the first couple of days), but the listeners are fans of the
              subjects I cover, NOT fans of podcasts. I doubt that many of them have ever
              heard another podcast besides mine.

              Advertising my shows to other podcasters would make no sense because
              podcasters are not my audience. But that's what I see most other
              podcasters doing - posting their publicity on podcasting boards (like this
              one).

              I've put a couple of videos on YouTube, and they have ten times the viewers
              that my audio shows have listeners. And I don't even promote the videos.

              So if you want to make money by putting your info on the internet, I'd say
              do it with videos on YouTube, not with audio-only podcasts.

              Best,

              ---Dan
              http://danhughes.net
              http://thetreasurecorner.com
              http://thesoftballcorner.com
              http://radiofun.info

              On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Patrick McNa... <writerpatrick@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > 99% of all podcasts make no money at all. A few do, and the rare ones such
              > as TWIT actually make enough to make real money. (But not everyone has
              > their own TV show to promote their podcast with.) I also wonder if any
              > podcast that started in the past couple years makes any money; it tends to
              > be those who were around early (especially 2004/2005) that do the best.
              >
              > But I think the focus needs to be on exposure. How do you get people to
              > even find your podcast? If you can get enough of an audience then you may
              > be able to make money. It's the size of the audience that makes the podcast
              > valuable to advertisers. Of course production value helps to draw an
              > audience, but that takes money.
              >
              > I would not recommend anyone getting into podcasting today to even
              > consider doing it for income.
              >

              > Reply to sender<writerpatrick@...?subject=Re%3A%20New%20Podcast%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E>| Reply
              > to group<podcasters@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20New%20Podcast%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E>| Reply
              > 7)
              > Recent Activity:

              > 2

            • Richard Amirault
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
                From: "Dan Hughes"
                (snip)

                > Listenership is relatively small (usually
                > 100-200 the first couple of days), but the listeners are fans of the
                > subjects I cover, NOT fans of podcasts. I doubt that many of them have
                > ever
                > heard another podcast besides mine.
                (snip)

                How can you tell that they actually "listen"? Other than having them reply
                or comment via e-Mail or Facebook, or some other method .. and having
                *every* listener do that is very unlikely.

                Yes, they can/will/do *download* your podcast, but you have no way of
                knowing (other than above) when they actually "listen" It could be days
                later, or next week, or even longer.

                Richard Amirault
                Boston, MA, USA
                http://n1jdu.org
                http://bostonfandom.org
              • Dan Hughes
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
                  Hi Richard,

                  When I post a new show, I announce it on the various treasure or softball
                  newsgroups/discussion boards. Listeners discuss the show on the boards
                  after they've heard it. Some of those discussions get pretty elaborate.

                  One thing I forgot to say before - I post a new show every two weeks, and
                  my podcasts are just 3 to 5 minutes long with no canned intros. So you are
                  into the meat of the show immediately. They fly by pretty fast, and they
                  are totally pre-scripted, so the show sounds professional. Podcasts that
                  go a half-hour or more, or that meander along with no direction, are much
                  more likely to be filed away without being heard.

                  I often get emails from listeners asking me to do shows more often than
                  every other week. That's heartening!

                  Also, I was in radio for 40 years, so my shows sound pretty good in the
                  technical sense, too. I've heard too many podcasts that may have been
                  interesting, content-wise, but were pretty much unlistenable because of
                  poor announcing skills, no pre-planning, and/or poor technical quality.

                  ---Dan

                  On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

                  > **

                  Best,

                  ---Dan
                  http://danhughes.net
                  http://danhughesbooks.com
                  http://treasuremanual.com
                  http://slowpitchbook.com
                  http://danhughesautographs.com
                  http://thetreasurecorner.com
                  http://thesoftballcorner.com
                  http://radiofun.info

                • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
                    I have no idea what you all are talking about, you can link your show to i tunes by talkshoe, you can also track the amount of downloads from there has well.  I am on a network z talk radio, and just upload my shows via talkshoe for tracking downloads.  I personally track my live listeners by centova.  All though sometimes its hard if you have people post players on there stations.  Where length of shows is concerned my shows run 2 hours once a week Wednesday in prime time, I usually have 100 to 175 live listeners plus downloads over 500 per week.  You need a chatroom for those who want to get interactive, alot just want to listen and will not come in the chat room.  But it is nice to give them that choice.  If you go live your best combination is Skype and Sam with an xfigo soundcard.  My shows are CD quality, and all I have invested in is a good mic and headset.  Market yourself with a blog or homepage and social networks (facebook, twitter,
                    and tumbler).  I have been doing this for almost 3 years.

                    Ken aka DK
                    http://dkwatercooler.blogspot.com
                    Twitter  watercoolerDK
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Double-K/141526438926

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
                      Absolutely. If you're getting into it for the money, that's a bad decision.
                      It can be done (I do a podcast about Jillian Michaels becuase she has an
                      affiliate program for everything and she's popular), but it is a slow burn.
                      The key to podcast promotion is simple. Get to know who your audience is,
                      and where they hang out. Go there. Tell them about your podcast. I have
                      business cards for my podcast about weight loss. No contact information,
                      just has my logo and says "Free Weight Loss Tips" find us in iTunes! and
                      then has the website address. I went to the mall before it was open, all
                      these people doing laps to stay in shape. I handed everyone a business
                      card. Anyone with ear buds in, I handed two. You build your audience one
                      listener at a time.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                        We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later

                        What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different.  They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)

                        Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting.  i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video

                        Hope this helps :)

                      • Michael Sitarzewski
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                          That's quite a workflow!

                          Sent from my speedy iPhone 4S.

                          On Oct 31, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

                          > We're talking about shows which are PRE-RECORDED (Or in my case, live in video only) & then uploaded for download by others later
                          >
                          > What Talkshoe & BlogTalk Radio do is somewhat different. They let you host the show live (At telephone quality) yet podcast the show at whatever bitrate you set (For example 128K)
                          >
                          > Because I can get on UStream (A live streaming video host) with their smartphone app, I'll be using them for the live presentation & then download the archive later from the site later & upload it to Pod-O-Matic for podcasting. i'll extract the audio to make an audio only version for those who prefer that instead of video
                          >
                          > Hope this helps :)
                          >
                          > Cheers :D
                          >
                          > Pat Cook
                          > HOST - The Political Rewrite Podcast - http://politicalrewritepodcast.blogspot.com/
                          > BLOG - The Political Rewrite - http://thepoliticalrewrite.blogspot.com/
                          > Englewood, CO
                          >
                          > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                          > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                        • Pat Cook
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                            Not really when you consider that UStream records your show for you & will save it online simply by giving it a title, description, tags, etc & then tapping a SAVE button

                            Quite simple really.....

                            Cheers :)

                          • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                              I am not sure what you consider telephone quality perhaps your confusing things, talkshoe is used only has a link for i tunes and counting the downloads.  If you listen to one of my shows i assure you with skype and sam i achieve cd quality sound.  I also stream via u stream but have no need for their download tools.  Podamatic is also very expensive for the amount of data used in a 128kps 2 hour show.

                            • David Jackson
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 31, 2011
                                Podomatic is the devil. They lead you in with Free and then steal your feed
                                by submitting it to iTunes for you (and have fun redirecting the feed when
                                you eventually move because you figure out Libsyn or blubrry is better). If
                                Blog Talk Radio has good quality option, why does every show I listen (as a
                                downloaded podcast) sound horrible (at 32kps) why would someone choose to
                                publish at such an awful bit rate?

                                Dave Jackson
                                www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                                Dave Jackson