Re: [podcasters] Mono sound issue

  • David Jackson
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2011
      Some usb devices don't record in stereo (especially if there is more than
      one input. Check to see if there is a mono button on the usb device.

      Dave

      --
      Dave Jackson

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2011
        It's a presonus audiobox. It is a 300 buck piece of equipment specifically made for audio recording with both mics and instruments. I'm gonna get the instructions out for the audiobox and see if it has a trouble shoot

        -/:/Steven Weatherbuzz\:\-
        (theWeatherbuzz Bizarre | junkheadINC)

      • theweatherbuzz@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2011
          Phantom power?

          On Oct 1, 2011, at 10:03 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:

          > Here's a guess - the button to turn on your phantom power is working on only
          > one channel. Try pushing the button in and out a few times quickly while
          > you're talking into the mic.
          >
          > ---Dan
          >

          > On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Steven Weatherbuzz <theweatherbuzz@...
          >> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Alright, I am running WINDOWS 7 x64, got a presonus audiobox with a
          >> presonus m7 microphone. I tried recording in audacity 1.3 beta, studioONE
          >> Artist, AND AdobeAudition CS5.5 4.0 build 1815, All of which recorded my
          >> VOICE in MONO!!!! HELP!!! I have a manual for ALL 3 programs, non have
          >> helped. It comes out of the left speaker only. It has been tested on studio
          >> headphones AND GIGAware 5.1 speaker systems. Audacity does show a very minor
          >> jump in the right side prior to recording but I have to be speaking VERY
          >> loud for it to bump up the right bar even a little bit. Any ideas?!?
          >>

          > --
          > Best,
          >
          > ---Dan
          > http://danhughes.net
          > http://danhughesbooks.com
          > http://treasuremanual.com
          > http://slowpitchbook.com
          > http://danhughesautographs.com
          > http://thetreasurecorner.com
          > http://thesoftballcorner.com
          > http://radiofun.info

        • Dan Hughes
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2011
            The little black button that says "48v". Has to be pushed in for condenser
            mics, which is what you have.

            ---Dan

          • Steven Weatherbuzz
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2011
              it was.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2011
                I had an edirol U-25 $250 and I had to press the mono button. I hated that
                box. In general I hate usb, that means you recording direct to comptuer
                which means *eventually* you will lose an episode. I was using Audition last
                week and was in a hurry so I plugged in my Blue icicle usb device. Its easy
                to use, BOOM I'm recording. Half way through BAM, computer locks up, and I
                lost everything.

                Dave

                On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 12:06 AM, <theweatherbuzz@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > It's a presonus audiobox. It is a 300 buck piece of equipment specifically
                > made for audio recording with both mics and instruments. I'm gonna get the
                > instructions out for the audiobox and see if it has a trouble shoot
                >
                > -/:/Steven Weatherbuzz\:\-
                > (theWeatherbuzz Bizarre | junkheadINC)
                >

                > On Oct 1, 2011, at 10:56 PM, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Some usb devices don't record in stereo (especially if there is more than
                > > one input. Check to see if there is a mono button on the usb device.
                > >
                > > Dave
                > >
                > > On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Steven Weatherbuzz <
                > > theweatherbuzz@...> wrote:
                > >
                > >> **
                >

                > >> Alright, I am running WINDOWS 7 x64, got a presonus audiobox with a
                > >> presonus m7 microphone. I tried recording in audacity 1.3 beta,
                > studioONE
                > >> Artist, AND AdobeAudition CS5.5 4.0 build 1815, All of which recorded my
                > >> VOICE in MONO!!!! HELP!!! I have a manual for ALL 3 programs, non have
                > >> helped. It comes out of the left speaker only. It has been tested on
                > studio
                > >> headphones AND GIGAware 5.1 speaker systems. Audacity does show a very
                > minor
                > >> jump in the right side prior to recording but I have to be speaking VERY
                > >> loud for it to bump up the right bar even a little bit. Any ideas?!?
                > >>

                > > --
                > > Dave Jackson

                Dave Jackson

              • tapeleg
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2011
                  The problem is not your hardware. You can fix this.

                  The problem is that you are recording your single mic into a STEREO recording track. This means the left track is channel one of your presonus audio interface, and the right track is channel two, hence the silence on the right channel (the bump on the right channel is due to crosstalk, which is not unusual).

                  First, how to fix it in Audacity: You are going to split the audio track you have now into two separate tracks, then make them Mono. I have a tutorial on how to do this here:

                  http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/

                  For the next recordings, set up to record a MONO track. This will record a track that will output both left and right equally. You're recording a single source, so mono is what you want.

                  James Gralian

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2011
                    This sound correct?

                  • theweatherbuzz@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2011
                      I had heard ur podcast about recording on an external device. Makes sense though because it does happen. Just at the moment, I gotta stick with my guns and can't go another route.

                      -/:/Steven Weatherbuzz\:\-
                      (theWeatherbuzz Bizarre | junkheadINC)

                      On Oct 2, 2011, at 6:46 AM, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:

                      > I had an edirol U-25 $250 and I had to press the mono button. I hated that
                      > box. In general I hate usb, that means you recording direct to comptuer
                      > which means *eventually* you will lose an episode. I was using Audition last
                      > week and was in a hurry so I plugged in my Blue icicle usb device. Its easy
                      > to use, BOOM I'm recording. Half way through BAM, computer locks up, and I
                      > lost everything.
                      >
                      > Dave
                      >

                      > On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 12:06 AM, <theweatherbuzz@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> **
                      >>

                      >> It's a presonus audiobox. It is a 300 buck piece of equipment specifically
                      >> made for audio recording with both mics and instruments. I'm gonna get the
                      >> instructions out for the audiobox and see if it has a trouble shoot
                      >>
                      >> -/:/Steven Weatherbuzz\:\-
                      >> (theWeatherbuzz Bizarre | junkheadINC)
                      >>

                      >> On Oct 1, 2011, at 10:56 PM, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Some usb devices don't record in stereo (especially if there is more than
                      >>> one input. Check to see if there is a mono button on the usb device.
                      >>>
                      >>> Dave

                      >> studioONE
                      >> studio
                      >> minor
                      >>>>

                      >>> --
                      >>> Dave Jackson

                      > Dave Jackson

                    • Richard Amirault
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2011
                        From: "Steven Weatherbuzz"

                        > Alright, I am running WINDOWS 7 x64, got a presonus audiobox with a
                        > presonus m7 microphone. I tried recording in audacity 1.3 beta, studioONE
                        > Artist, AND AdobeAudition CS5.5 4.0 build 1815, All of which recorded my
                        > VOICE in MONO!!!! HELP!!!
                        (snip)

                        Why would you expect it to record in stereo? I am not familiar with that
                        equipment. Is the mic a stereo mic? If not than why would you expect it to
                        be recorded in stereo?

                        If you want your voice to be in "both channels" just use your software to
                        either duplicate the one, recorded, channel, and make it the other channel,
                        or remove the blank/empty channel (thus moving the sound from the recorded
                        channel to both sides)

                        Richard Amirault
                        Boston, MA, USA
                        http://n1jdu.org
                        http://bostonfandom.org
                      • theweatherbuzz@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2011
                          It is a stereo microphone, my hardware is good stuff too. It's an interface to be used to record music. It's a software issue I was unaware of. It's been sorted out