Blubrry, Libsyn or Other?

  • JohnK
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2011
      Hey mates!
      I like yahoo for interesting feedback and support and am excited to have discovered and found this group!

      Here's my situation. I've had a blog for over 7 years. I have been podcasting for 2 years. But I only recently (the past 5-6 months) picked up regular podcasting 1-5 days a week). I have my blog linked on feedburner.

      All my podcasts I have been uploading and self-hosting to my shared hosting server (about 40 episodes). I started a libsyn account but didnt' like the idea of transferring all files over to their servers.

      I have been sort of quasi-embedding (in addition to the [audio :] embed code all recent podcasts (past 40 or so) with blubrry. I have this thing where I just need to do do do and make podcasts and upload but have not been doing due diligence with proper statistics tracking and whatnot. I am uncertain if I even have an account with blubrry, although I have powerpress installed and the use the
      enclosure
      audio/mpeg

      Custom field on each post.

      A bit confused.

      What I want is to continue doing podcasts obviously.

      One podcast feed
      in addition to my blog feed
      the podcast feed should validate and I should be able to submit it to itunes.

      Additionally it would be great to see statistics for downloads and 'play count' of each podcast (which may likely be veyr different from blog stats".

      Also, how do I determine how much of my blog stat "visits" are bots and whatnot?

      Basically, I've produced MASSIVE amounts of content and I need to get into the math, quantitative of seeing stats.

      Not approaching any bandwidth limits or anything.

      Uncertain best way of hosting podcast. Currently I just do
      [audio: LINKTOFILE ON MY SHARED HOSTING]
      Time: DURATION
      Download (with link)

      and then there's the blubrry player that pops up at the bottom when I do audio/mpeg in teh custom field.

      Uncertain how to set this up properly, if I should continue blubrry (and fill out appropriate forms and account) or use libsyn. Thanks!

      feeds.

      http://feeds.feedburner.com/johnkoozblog is blog feed.

      http://feeds.feedburner.com/vylpodcast is podcast feed.

      I am sort of uncertain about how the podcast feed is created and why I can't see stats of it on blubrry. I was king to hand-code the .xml so I know about that (and have done that in the past).
    • David Jackson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2011
        Here is my solution:

        1. Use the powerpress plugin, and use the field for "Podcast episode"
        instead of the [audio:]
        2. Use the link in the powerpress plugin for your podcast (feeds tab). If
        you want, throw that through feedburner.
        3. As for Libsyn Vs Blubrry. To get on an even playing field you have to
        look at their 250M plans. Libsyn is $15 and Bulbrry is $20. If you compare
        $20 to $20, Libsyn offers more space and a smart phone app. Blubrry offers
        the ability to upload directly from wordpress on all their plans. Both have
        great service. Both companies were started by podcasters, for podcasters. I
        need to look closer, but I think their stats are pretty even with a slight
        edge to Libsyn. In regards to getting advertising on your show, I hear more
        from the Blubrry camp than Libsyn.

        In the end, you can't go wrong with either one. Both are great companies.

        4. If you want stats you need to move your old episodes. You can't monitor
        what you don't track. Contact both these companies. They can help you move
        files. Both companies have great service.

        5. Lastly, (which is what you're doing) focus. Define your target and go. It
        sounds like you've been all over the place a bit.

        Best of luck.

        Dave Jackson
        www.podcastcoaching.com
        www.schoolofpodcasting.com

        --
        Dave Jackson

      • tapeleg
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19, 2011
          Hi John -

          You have some good questions there, but there is one thing that would help in determining what your solution (or partial solution) may be: What are you using for your blog software? If it's self-hosted wordpress, then the Blubrry plugin may be your answer. If not, well... I'll be of little help to you. :)

          I've been using Blubrry for a few years for stats, but I just get basic stats, which are free. You could add other stats programs, like Statspress (if you have wordpress) and see bots and spiders, as well as feeds. Google Analytics may be helpful to you as well.

          That's pretty much what I have for you right now. Sadly, I have no experience with Libsyn, but people seem to like it. But do they offer anything more than your hosting everything yourself?

          James