Recoreder

  • ZakRhyno
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
      What is a good recorder to be out and about recording interviews?

    • Mike Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
        I have a roland rh09 but now and days you can get away with a recording app and your smart phone.
        Mike J

        On Sep 7, 2011, at 5:22 AM, "ZakRhyno" <zakrhyno@...> wrote:

        > What is a good recorder to be out and about recording interviews?

      • Martin McKeay
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
          Actually, an iPad has a really good mic if you can find a quite
          environment. Otherwise I use a Zoom H4 and a pair of inexpensive mics to
          record in the wild. Meaning at security conferences.

          Martin McKeay
          CISSP, recovering QSA
          Network Security Blog and Podcast
          http://www.mckeay.net
          http://netsecpodcast.com
          Twitter: @McKeay
          Cell: 707-495-7926

          "mount -t /coffee /proc/awake /dev/brain" returns "mount : cannot find
          filesystem /dev/brain"

          "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will
          be hacked. What's more, you deserve to be hacked." - Richard Clarke

          On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:41 AM, Mike Johnson <serviceyourac@...>wrote:

          > I have a roland rh09 but now and days you can get away with a recording app
          > and your smart phone.
          > Mike J
          >

          > On Sep 7, 2011, at 5:22 AM, "ZakRhyno" <zakrhyno@...> wrote:
          >
          > > What is a good recorder to be out and about recording interviews?

        • David Jackson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
            The Zoom H2 has some nice built in microphones, has a line input, and can be
            used as a usb device. I have a Roland R-05. I chose the roland as it has a
            screen I can read.

            Dave Jackson
            www.schoolofpodcasting.com
            www.podcastcoaching.com

            On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:22 AM, ZakRhyno <zakrhyno@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > What is a good recorder to be out and about recording interviews?

            Dave Jackson

          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
              From: "David Jackson"

              > The Zoom H2 has some nice built in microphones, has a line input, and can
              > be
              > used as a usb device. I have a Roland R-05. I chose the roland as it has
              > screen I can read.

              The Zoom H2 has been replace with a newer model, the Zoom H2n
              http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/handheld-audio-recorders/h2n/

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org
            • Richard Amirault
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
                From: "Richard Amirault"

                OR .. the Zoom H1, at half the price, would work as well.
                http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/handheld-audio-recorders/h1/

                Richard Amirault
                Boston, MA, USA
                http://n1jdu.org
                http://bostonfandom.org
              • Dan Hughes
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
                  Are the recordings for reference, or will they be aired? If they will be
                  aired, you might want a recorder that allows you to plug in an external mic,
                  which usually gives you better sound than a built-in mic.

                  I use this setup:

                  http://danhughes.net/podcasting/2micsetup.htm

                  This gives both me and my subject a mic, and I end up with a stereo
                  recording. I can edit out coughs from one track while leaving the other
                  untouched, or raise or lower the volume on one track without affecting the
                  other. Makes for a much more professional-sounding recording than using a
                  single-mic recorder.

                  ---Dan

                  On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:22 AM, ZakRhyno <zakrhyno@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > What is a good recorder to be out and about recording interviews?

                  Best,

                  ---Dan
                  http://danhughes.net
                  http://danhughesbooks.com
                  http://treasuremanual.com
                  http://slowpitchbook.com
                  http://danhughesautographs.com
                  http://thetreasurecorner.com
                  http://thesoftballcorner.com
                  http://radiofun.info

                • Richard Amirault
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
                    From: "Dan Hughes"

                    > Are the recordings for reference, or will they be aired? If they will be
                    > aired, you might want a recorder that allows you to plug in an external
                    > mic,
                    > which usually gives you better sound than a built-in mic.
                    >
                    > This gives both me and my subject a mic, and I end up with a stereo
                    > recording. I can edit out coughs from one track while leaving the other
                    > untouched, or raise or lower the volume on one track without affecting the
                    > other. Makes for a much more professional-sounding recording than using a
                    > single-mic recorder.

                    The Zoom H2, H2n and H1 all have at *least* two mics on-board, and they all
                    have jacks for external mics.

                    Richard Amirault
                    Boston, MA, USA
                    http://n1jdu.org