Re: What's this equipment called?

  • tapeleg
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
      Calvin,

      I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.

      There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound Byte. You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.

      If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will probably be a solid solution.

      The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than a dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.

      Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

      > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
      > know what to call.
      >
      > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
      > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
      > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they play
      > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
      > your mixing board.
      >
      > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
      > them?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Calvin

    • Steve Riekeberg
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
        I believe what you're thinking of is an Instant Replay.

        For what it's worth, the iPad route is probably much more cost effective.

        Hope this helps,

        Steve Riekeberg
        Podcast Perspective
        <http://www.podcastperspective.com>

        On Sep 5, 2011, at 10:30 AM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...>
        wrote:

        Calvin,

        I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine
        replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.

        There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound Byte.
        You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is
        done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.

        If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a
        refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You
        could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for
        more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will
        probably be a solid solution.

        The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a
        MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more
        than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than a
        dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.

        Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

        > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
        > know what to call.
        >
        > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
        > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
        > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
        play
        > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
        on
        > your mixing board.
        >
        > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
        > them?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Calvin

      • Calvin Powers
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
          Thanks all. I have tried soundbyte for windows XP and it is close to what I
          need. I find it to be incredibly buggy and completely non-intuitive in its
          interface. But I have managed to convince it to load up sound files and play
          them on demand when I need them.

          Thanks all for your good advice.

          Calvin

          On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Steve Riekeberg
          <missingintellect@...>wrote:

          > I believe what you're thinking of is an Instant Replay.
          >
          > For what it's worth, the iPad route is probably much more cost effective.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > Steve Riekeberg
          > Podcast Perspective
          > <http://www.podcastperspective.com>
          >

          > On Sep 5, 2011, at 10:30 AM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > Calvin,
          >
          > I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine
          > replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.
          >
          > There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound
          > Byte.
          > You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is
          > done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.
          >
          > If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a
          > refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You
          > could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for
          > more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will
          > probably be a solid solution.
          >
          > The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a
          > MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more
          > than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than
          > dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.
          >
          > Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.
          >
          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
          > > know what to call.
          > >
          > > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
          > anything.
          > > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
          > > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
          > play
          > > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
          > on
          > > your mixing board.
          > >
          > > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
          > > them?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Calvin

        • Steve Sergeant
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
            You're referring to a product that has been copied more recently, but
            was originally introduced by a company called "360 Systems" as part of a
            product line called "DigiCart".

            See [ http://www.360systems.com/products_audio.html ].

            Their current product of this type, "Instant Replay 2" started out as a
            control panel for a separate audio server. Now they've fit the whole
            thing into the panel.

            Here's where you can buy one new: [
            http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DR600 ]

            Typically one loads it up with uncompressed audio files.

            \