Re: [podcasters] Re: splitting stereo to mono?

  • Gwen Orel
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
      what am I doing wrong? when I open an mp3 file in audacity it just plays as gibberish. It doesn't LOOK like gibberish, but it is playing that way.
      On Aug 7, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Gwen Orel wrote:

      > thanks, I'll try that! actually I already have this perfect for Skype as Wiretap Studio records in two separate channels, I can then edit the volume in Wiretpap Studio. Although I suppose if I wanted to actually edit, as in change what's on one or the other, just in parts (silence some sections), I can't do that in Wiretap.
      >
      > THANKS!
      >
      > On Aug 7, 2011, at 8:47 AM, tapeleg wrote:
      >
      >> You can split the stereo file into two mono files with Audacity, then import them into GarageBand on two separate tracks. Here is a tutorial on how to split the audio:
      >>
      >> http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
      >>
      >> Good luck!
      >>
      >> --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> for Gargaeband users: when I record on the phone, the channels can easily be edited, but when I use an external mic I can't seem to figure it out.
      >>>
      >>> I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how to adjust the volume on just the one channel.
      >>>
      >>> I'm sure it's something obvious, can anybody advise?

    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
        Any way to simply mash the two together? As in, just drag-and-drop a bunch
        of files onto a program and have it do the work? Or at least be able to
        select a batch of files and have them done without user intervention?

        I ask because I've got a number of tracks that need to be played back on a
        device that's mono-only. It'd be handy to have a program that converted the
        stereo tracks into mono without having to do any editing.

        -Bill Kearney

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
          OK, in my case it won't open mp4. I downloaded the library to export as mp3 but my mac isn't finding it. and now when I have it play a wav, there's no sound. argh.