Re: [podcasters] splitting stereo to mono?

  • Steve Eley
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
      On Aug 7, 2011, at 1:56 AM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

      > I'm not quite sure-- I found the panning tool and it seems to have both out voices left, but, when I look at it in garagebanc, it's clearly two channels. I can't import into levelator because it's a wma file and levelator doesn't recognize it.

      So convert the file. GarageBand will let you export it to an AIFF file.

      (As for missing manuals: it can be tough to navigate sometimes, but for just searching on keywords or figuring out how to do tasks, the online help isn't bad.)

      Have Fun,
      Steve Eley

    • tapeleg
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
        You can split the stereo file into two mono files with Audacity, then import them into GarageBand on two separate tracks. Here is a tutorial on how to split the audio:

        http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/

        Good luck!

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

        > for Gargaeband users: when I record on the phone, the channels can easily be edited, but when I use an external mic I can't seem to figure it out.
        >
        > I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how to adjust the volume on just the one channel.
        >
        > I'm sure it's something obvious, can anybody advise?

      • Gwen Orel
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
          thanks, I'll try that! actually I already have this perfect for Skype as Wiretap Studio records in two separate channels, I can then edit the volume in Wiretpap Studio. Although I suppose if I wanted to actually edit, as in change what's on one or the other, just in parts (silence some sections), I can't do that in Wiretap.

          THANKS!

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
            what am I doing wrong? when I open an mp3 file in audacity it just plays as gibberish. It doesn't LOOK like gibberish, but it is playing that way.
            On Aug 7, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Gwen Orel wrote:

            > thanks, I'll try that! actually I already have this perfect for Skype as Wiretap Studio records in two separate channels, I can then edit the volume in Wiretpap Studio. Although I suppose if I wanted to actually edit, as in change what's on one or the other, just in parts (silence some sections), I can't do that in Wiretap.
            >
            > THANKS!
            >
            > On Aug 7, 2011, at 8:47 AM, tapeleg wrote:
            >
            >> You can split the stereo file into two mono files with Audacity, then import them into GarageBand on two separate tracks. Here is a tutorial on how to split the audio:
            >>
            >> http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
            >>
            >> Good luck!
            >>
            >> --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
            >>>
            >>> for Gargaeband users: when I record on the phone, the channels can easily be edited, but when I use an external mic I can't seem to figure it out.
            >>>
            >>> I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how to adjust the volume on just the one channel.
            >>>
            >>> I'm sure it's something obvious, can anybody advise?

          • Bill Kearney
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
              Any way to simply mash the two together? As in, just drag-and-drop a bunch
              of files onto a program and have it do the work? Or at least be able to
              select a batch of files and have them done without user intervention?

              I ask because I've got a number of tracks that need to be played back on a
              device that's mono-only. It'd be handy to have a program that converted the
              stereo tracks into mono without having to do any editing.

              -Bill Kearney

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                OK, in my case it won't open mp4. I downloaded the library to export as mp3 but my mac isn't finding it. and now when I have it play a wav, there's no sound. argh.