Re: [podcasters] splitting stereo to mono?

  • Shawn Thorpe
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011
      To clarify:

      You have one stereo track with your voice panned hard left and the
      director's voice panned hard right? Or do you have a stereo recording that
      contains both of your voices across the left/right stereo spectrum?

      --
      -Shawn Thorpe
      http://shawn.mx/

    • Gwen Orel
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011
        I'm not quite sure-- I found the panning tool and it seems to have both out voices left, but, when I look at it in garagebanc, it's clearly two channels. I can't import into levelator because it's a wma file and levelator doesn't recognize it.
        On Aug 7, 2011, at 1:52 AM, Shawn Thorpe wrote:

        > To clarify:
        >
        > You have one stereo track with your voice panned hard left and the
        > director's voice panned hard right? Or do you have a stereo recording that
        > contains both of your voices across the left/right stereo spectrum?
        >
        > On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> for Gargaeband users: when I record on the phone, the channels can easily
        >> be edited, but when I use an external mic I can't seem to figure it out.
        >>
        >> I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's
        >> clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how
        >> to adjust the volume on just the one channel.
        >>
        >> I'm sure it's something obvious, can anybody advise?
        >>

        > --
        > -Shawn Thorpe
        > http://shawn.mx/
        > http://geminidragon.tv/

      • Steve Eley
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
          On Aug 7, 2011, at 1:56 AM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

          > I'm not quite sure-- I found the panning tool and it seems to have both out voices left, but, when I look at it in garagebanc, it's clearly two channels. I can't import into levelator because it's a wma file and levelator doesn't recognize it.

          So convert the file. GarageBand will let you export it to an AIFF file.

          (As for missing manuals: it can be tough to navigate sometimes, but for just searching on keywords or figuring out how to do tasks, the online help isn't bad.)

          Have Fun,
          Steve Eley

        • tapeleg
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
            You can split the stereo file into two mono files with Audacity, then import them into GarageBand on two separate tracks. Here is a tutorial on how to split the audio:

            http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/

            Good luck!

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
              thanks, I'll try that! actually I already have this perfect for Skype as Wiretap Studio records in two separate channels, I can then edit the volume in Wiretpap Studio. Although I suppose if I wanted to actually edit, as in change what's on one or the other, just in parts (silence some sections), I can't do that in Wiretap.

              THANKS!

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                what am I doing wrong? when I open an mp3 file in audacity it just plays as gibberish. It doesn't LOOK like gibberish, but it is playing that way.
                On Aug 7, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Gwen Orel wrote:

                > thanks, I'll try that! actually I already have this perfect for Skype as Wiretap Studio records in two separate channels, I can then edit the volume in Wiretpap Studio. Although I suppose if I wanted to actually edit, as in change what's on one or the other, just in parts (silence some sections), I can't do that in Wiretap.
                >
                > THANKS!
                >
                > On Aug 7, 2011, at 8:47 AM, tapeleg wrote:
                >
                >> You can split the stereo file into two mono files with Audacity, then import them into GarageBand on two separate tracks. Here is a tutorial on how to split the audio:
                >>
                >> http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
                >>
                >> Good luck!
                >>
                >> --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                >>>
                >>> for Gargaeband users: when I record on the phone, the channels can easily be edited, but when I use an external mic I can't seem to figure it out.
                >>>
                >>> I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how to adjust the volume on just the one channel.
                >>>
                >>> I'm sure it's something obvious, can anybody advise?

              • Bill Kearney
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                  Any way to simply mash the two together? As in, just drag-and-drop a bunch
                  of files onto a program and have it do the work? Or at least be able to
                  select a batch of files and have them done without user intervention?

                  I ask because I've got a number of tracks that need to be played back on a
                  device that's mono-only. It'd be handy to have a program that converted the
                  stereo tracks into mono without having to do any editing.

                  -Bill Kearney

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                    OK, in my case it won't open mp4. I downloaded the library to export as mp3 but my mac isn't finding it. and now when I have it play a wav, there's no sound. argh.