splitting stereo to mono?

  • Gwen Orel
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011
      for Gargaeband users: when I record on the phone, the channels can easily be edited, but when I use an external mic I can't seem to figure it out.

      I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how to adjust the volume on just the one channel.

      I'm sure it's something obvious, can anybody advise?
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011
        On Aug 7, 2011, at 1:17 AM, Gwen Orel wrote:

        > I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how to adjust the volume on just the one channel.

        The answer to the direct question is to use the 'panning' control to set the left/right balance until the voices sound roughly even.

        A possibly better answer, though, would be to use compression or an external tool like the Levelator (http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator) to bring the whole interview into balance. I've used the Levelator often for purposes like this -- it's not always the right tool, but when it works, it's great.

        Have Fun,
        Steve Eley

      • Gwen Orel
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011
          I'm sorry to ask a stupid question but what/where is the panning control?

          I miss the days of manuals. :(

          On Aug 7, 2011, at 1:35 AM, Stephen Eley wrote:

          > On Aug 7, 2011, at 1:17 AM, Gwen Orel wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how to adjust the volume on just the one channel.
          > >
          > The answer to the direct question is to use the 'panning' control to set the left/right balance until the voices sound roughly even.
          >
          > A possibly better answer, though, would be to use compression or an external tool like the Levelator (http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator) to bring the whole interview into balance. I've used the Levelator often for purposes like this -- it's not always the right tool, but when it works, it's great.
          >
          > Have Fun,
          > Steve Eley

        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011
            To clarify:

            You have one stereo track with your voice panned hard left and the
            director's voice panned hard right? Or do you have a stereo recording that
            contains both of your voices across the left/right stereo spectrum?

            --
            -Shawn Thorpe
            http://shawn.mx/

          • Gwen Orel
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011
              I'm not quite sure-- I found the panning tool and it seems to have both out voices left, but, when I look at it in garagebanc, it's clearly two channels. I can't import into levelator because it's a wma file and levelator doesn't recognize it.
              On Aug 7, 2011, at 1:52 AM, Shawn Thorpe wrote:

              > To clarify:
              >
              > You have one stereo track with your voice panned hard left and the
              > director's voice panned hard right? Or do you have a stereo recording that
              > contains both of your voices across the left/right stereo spectrum?
              >
              > On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> for Gargaeband users: when I record on the phone, the channels can easily
              >> be edited, but when I use an external mic I can't seem to figure it out.
              >>
              >> I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's
              >> clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how
              >> to adjust the volume on just the one channel.
              >>
              >> I'm sure it's something obvious, can anybody advise?
              >>

              > --
              > -Shawn Thorpe
              > http://shawn.mx/
              > http://geminidragon.tv/

            • Steve Eley
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                On Aug 7, 2011, at 1:56 AM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                > I'm not quite sure-- I found the panning tool and it seems to have both out voices left, but, when I look at it in garagebanc, it's clearly two channels. I can't import into levelator because it's a wma file and levelator doesn't recognize it.

                So convert the file. GarageBand will let you export it to an AIFF file.

                (As for missing manuals: it can be tough to navigate sometimes, but for just searching on keywords or figuring out how to do tasks, the online help isn't bad.)

                Have Fun,
                Steve Eley

              • tapeleg
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                  You can split the stereo file into two mono files with Audacity, then import them into GarageBand on two separate tracks. Here is a tutorial on how to split the audio:

                  http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/

                  Good luck!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                    thanks, I'll try that! actually I already have this perfect for Skype as Wiretap Studio records in two separate channels, I can then edit the volume in Wiretpap Studio. Although I suppose if I wanted to actually edit, as in change what's on one or the other, just in parts (silence some sections), I can't do that in Wiretap.

                    THANKS!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                      what am I doing wrong? when I open an mp3 file in audacity it just plays as gibberish. It doesn't LOOK like gibberish, but it is playing that way.
                      On Aug 7, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Gwen Orel wrote:

                      > thanks, I'll try that! actually I already have this perfect for Skype as Wiretap Studio records in two separate channels, I can then edit the volume in Wiretpap Studio. Although I suppose if I wanted to actually edit, as in change what's on one or the other, just in parts (silence some sections), I can't do that in Wiretap.
                      >
                      > THANKS!
                      >
                      > On Aug 7, 2011, at 8:47 AM, tapeleg wrote:
                      >
                      >> You can split the stereo file into two mono files with Audacity, then import them into GarageBand on two separate tracks. Here is a tutorial on how to split the audio:
                      >>
                      >> http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
                      >>
                      >> Good luck!
                      >>
                      >> --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> for Gargaeband users: when I record on the phone, the channels can easily be edited, but when I use an external mic I can't seem to figure it out.
                      >>>
                      >>> I'm editing an interview I did with a film director, and in gargaeband it's clearly stereo, my voice is much louder than his, but I can't figure out how to adjust the volume on just the one channel.
                      >>>
                      >>> I'm sure it's something obvious, can anybody advise?

                    • Bill Kearney
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                        Any way to simply mash the two together? As in, just drag-and-drop a bunch
                        of files onto a program and have it do the work? Or at least be able to
                        select a batch of files and have them done without user intervention?

                        I ask because I've got a number of tracks that need to be played back on a
                        device that's mono-only. It'd be handy to have a program that converted the
                        stereo tracks into mono without having to do any editing.

                        -Bill Kearney

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 7, 2011
                          OK, in my case it won't open mp4. I downloaded the library to export as mp3 but my mac isn't finding it. and now when I have it play a wav, there's no sound. argh.