Re: [podcasters] Premium Podcast Options

  • David Jackson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
      Most packages allow you to create "snippets" of content, add the MORE field
      and everything after more is protected. The problem is when you attach the
      mp3 file, it gets blocked, or it comes on down, both are wrong. Wishlist
      might be on the right track as each individual gets their own RSS. Digital
      Access Pass will have that in a future release. Showtaxi sure sounds like it
      will work (and take 30%), and Premiumcast.com does it (for $99 a month), my
      client is on a tight budget.

      Dave
      On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Michael Sitarzewski
      <msitarzewski@...>wrote:

      > I'm interested to see what's available too. I think this might be a great
      > topic for the Colorado Podcasters to tackle at some point.
      >
      > Michael Sitarzewski
      > CEO, Callisto.fm, Inc.
      > http://www.callisto.fm
      > Join the podcasting revolution!
      >
      > On Jun 1, 2011, at 9:33 PM, Dave wrote:
      >
      > > I have a client who says premiumcast.com is too steep for his blood.
      > Wants to deliver mp3s (protected content) via RSS. Looked at wishlist, DAP,
      > I understand amember has some sort of work around. Also there is
      > showtaxi.com anybody ever use these?
      > >
      > > Dave Jackson
      > > www.schoolofpodcasting.com

      Dave Jackson

    • Michael Sitarzewski
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
        That seems like a 5% off the top business. It doesn't cost materially more to provide a secure/paid podcast than it does a free one - once the infrastructure is built. Sure, there's a service there that needs to be paid for, but these services are not Apple, nor is the market yet big enough to sustain that kind of pricing (in my opinion).

        We're considering entering the podcast hosting business soon, frankly, and we're looking at the industry to see what the actual pain points are. I know this is definitely one.

        Interesting.

        On Jun 2, 2011, at 5:21 AM, David Jackson wrote:

        > Most packages allow you to create "snippets" of content, add the MORE field
        > and everything after more is protected. The problem is when you attach the
        > mp3 file, it gets blocked, or it comes on down, both are wrong. Wishlist
        > might be on the right track as each individual gets their own RSS. Digital
        > Access Pass will have that in a future release. Showtaxi sure sounds like it
        > will work (and take 30%), and Premiumcast.com does it (for $99 a month), my
        > client is on a tight budget.
        >
        > Dave
        > On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Michael Sitarzewski
        > <msitarzewski@...>wrote:
        >
        > > I'm interested to see what's available too. I think this might be a great
        > > topic for the Colorado Podcasters to tackle at some point.
        > >
        > > Michael Sitarzewski
        > > CEO, Callisto.fm, Inc.
        > > http://www.callisto.fm
        > > Join the podcasting revolution!
        > >
        > > On Jun 1, 2011, at 9:33 PM, Dave wrote:
        > >
        > > > I have a client who says premiumcast.com is too steep for his blood.
        > > Wants to deliver mp3s (protected content) via RSS. Looked at wishlist, DAP,
        > > I understand amember has some sort of work around. Also there is
        > > showtaxi.com anybody ever use these?
        > > >
        > > > Dave Jackson
        > > > www.schoolofpodcasting.com

        > Dave Jackson

      • Calvin Powers
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
          On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Dave <jammindave@...> wrote:

          > I have a client who says premiumcast.com is too steep for his blood. Wants
          > to deliver mp3s (protected content) via RSS. Looked at wishlist, DAP, I
          > understand amember has some sort of work around. Also there is
          > showtaxi.com anybody ever use these?
          >
          > Dave Jackson
          > www.schoolofpodcasting.com

          S2Member claims to be able to protect content in "alternate views" such as
          RSS feeds. You have to explicitly turn it on, but it's easy to find in their
          setup panel. When you turn it on, they say that they intercept all calls to
          the database and filter the results according to the caller's membership
          level.

          S2Member also protects by category, post, page, tag, etc etc. So I figure
          you create a category for the premium content, turn on the alternate view
          protection and use the rss feed for your premium category. But what I can't
          figure is that it must mean they use authenticated RSS although I can't see
          where they explicitly say that in the set up panel. They have a pretty good
          support forum though so you could ask there.

          I haven't actually tried it yet, but that's my plan for when I start
          creating premium podcasts.

          Calvin Powers
          www.doityourselfcitizen.com

        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
            Dave

            We are going to launch CueToo.com in a few weeks, drop me and email and
            I can get him on the Launch. For those that have not been watching we
            are launching a premium media site. You will be able to buy singles,
            subscriptions etc.. If you have premium content and you want it to be
            found amongst other premium content drop me a line privately we have a a
            limited number of pre-launch invitations available..

            Todd..

            On 6/1/2011 5:33 PM, Dave wrote:

            > I have a client who says premiumcast.com is too steep for his blood.
            > Wants to deliver mp3s (protected content) via RSS. Looked at wishlist,
            > DAP, I understand amember has some sort of work around. Also there is
            > showtaxi.com anybody ever use these?
            >
            > Dave Jackson
            > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
            >
            > __._,_.

          • Kenn Crawford
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
              Hi everyone,
              I created a podcast to help writers new to audio learn how to record and
              produce better sounding audiobooks. Episode 1 is live at Podiorookie.com
              and will be available in iTunes shortly.

              Throughout the podcast we'll be covering a lot of topics: Recording and
              editing techniques, microphones and how to use them, EQs, compressors
              and other audio editing tools, the proper use of Sound FX and music
              beds, setting up your recording area for cleaner tracks, narrating
              techniques, tips for writing (or adapting) your story for audio,
              interviews with authors and voice-over artists, getting your name "out
              there" and so much more!

              Pop on over for a visit, have a look-see around the site, and listen to
              episode 1 of PodioRookie and let me know what you think. The debut
              episode is 12 minutes 53 seconds long and there's a lot more to content
              to come!

              If you have any comments, words of advice, please let me know.... I'm
              all ears and at your mercy. :)

              Thanks for taking the time to read my post,

              Kenn
              http://podiorookie.com
            • chrismottes@rocketmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 19, 2012
                Hi there,

                Fantastic that you are focusing on narrative audio tools, you're totally right that most tools are focused on music production, complicating many processes. Take a look at Hindenburg Journalist (hindenburgsystems.com), our new audio production tool made for narration and audio book production, including a lot of podcasting-specific features.

                One I think you'll like is the auto-leveling feature, that sets the levels according to Loudness principles, i.e. perceived volume rather than measured volume. Another one is 1-click podcasting, that updates your RSS feed and prepares and uploads your mastering according to your presets. We have a 30-day trial here hindenburgsystems.com/trial.