headset echo, skype

  • Gwen Orel
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2011
      any mac users out there? since installing new skype other people can't hear me with the built in audio at all.

      I was using a usb logitech headset and the echo/buzz is so bad I'm having to get a new one-- RIGHT NOW.

      any suggestions?
    • Gwen Orel
      Message 2 of 8 , May 27, 2011
        edited to add, I bought a plantronics headset and am having the same issues. However also bought a radio shack mike and that works. it's not ideal, because you hear a big click when it mutes and unmutes, but it's much better.

        a trip to b&h is definitely in my future!

        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2011
          Don't keep buying equipment. Whatever's going on, it sounds like a software or configuration issue. You shouldn't be having echo problems in Skype -- it's supposed to deal with that.

          It's hard to say what's wrong without being in front of your computer. From what I've seen in the past, however, I'd offer this advice: plug your headset in before starting Skype, and then make sure the audio preferences in Skype are set to use the headset for both "Microphone" and "Speakers." Sometimes it'll continue to use the built-in speakers and mic, and you may not always know it right away.

          Have Fun,
          Steve Eley

          On May 27, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Gwen Orel wrote:

          > edited to add, I bought a plantronics headset and am having the same issues. However also bought a radio shack mike and that works. it's not ideal, because you hear a big click when it mutes and unmutes, but it's much better.
          >
          > a trip to b&h is definitely in my future!
          >

          > On May 27, 2011, at 12:44 PM, Gwen Orel wrote:
          >
          >> any mac users out there? since installing new skype other people can't hear me with the built in audio at all.
          >>
          >> I was using a usb logitech headset and the echo/buzz is so bad I'm having to get a new one-- RIGHT NOW.
          >>
          >> any suggestions?

        • Gwen Orel
          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2011
            The standing mic makes it mcuh better.I do have the right things picked in skype preferences and in audio.

            skype 4 is awful. I actually find the audio WORSE when it's skype to skype than when one of us is on a landline. and of course, since it's for podcast, the audio quality really matters.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 27, 2011
              On May 27, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Gwen Orel wrote:

              > skype 4 is awful. I actually find the audio WORSE when it's skype to skype than when one of us is on a landline. and of course, since it's for podcast, the audio quality really matters.

              I agree that the new Skype is a huge step backwards. It's almost universally hated for its terrible interface and reduced reliability. The audio quality shouldn't be _that_ bad, though. That's why I was thinking something else must be wrong. If you want, you can downgrade back to the old version:

              http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/2-8?cm_mmc=PXBL|0700_B6-_-mac-20110401
              (source: http://blogs.skype.com/en/2011/04/an_update_on_skype_for_mac.html )

              Anyway, my main point was that buying a bunch of different headsets was unlikely to solve the problem. If your headset worked fine on old Skype and it works fine on other applications, blaming the headset doesn't make much sense.

              Have Fun,
              Steve Eley
            • Gwen
              Message 6 of 8 , May 27, 2011
                I think I will go back to old skype- I have a better mic now but it doesn't ex

                Sent from my iPhon

                On May 27, 2011, at 4:48 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                > On May 27, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Gwen Orel wrote:
                > >
                > > skype 4 is awful. I actually find the audio WORSE when it's skype to skype than when one of us is on a landline. and of course, since it's for podcast, the audio quality really matters.
                >
                > I agree that the new Skype is a huge step backwards. It's almost universally hated for its terrible interface and reduced reliability. The audio quality shouldn't be _that_ bad, though. That's why I was thinking something else must be wrong. If you want, you can downgrade back to the old version:
                >
                > http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/2-8?cm_mmc=PXBL|0700_B6-_-mac-20110401
                > (source: http://blogs.skype.com/en/2011/04/an_update_on_skype_for_mac.html )
                >
                > Anyway, my main point was that buying a bunch of different headsets was unlikely to solve the problem. If your headset worked fine on old Skype and it works fine on other applications, blaming the headset doesn't make much sense.
                >
                > Have Fun,
                > Steve Eley

              • Gwen
                Message 7 of 8 , May 27, 2011
                  Sorry sent too soon
                  Why skype to skype works so badly

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On May 27, 2011, at 4:48 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                  > On May 27, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Gwen Orel wrote:
                  > >
                  > > skype 4 is awful. I actually find the audio WORSE when it's skype to skype than when one of us is on a landline. and of course, since it's for podcast, the audio quality really matters.
                  >
                  > I agree that the new Skype is a huge step backwards. It's almost universally hated for its terrible interface and reduced reliability. The audio quality shouldn't be _that_ bad, though. That's why I was thinking something else must be wrong. If you want, you can downgrade back to the old version:
                  >
                  > http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/2-8?cm_mmc=PXBL|0700_B6-_-mac-20110401
                  > (source: http://blogs.skype.com/en/2011/04/an_update_on_skype_for_mac.html )
                  >
                  > Anyway, my main point was that buying a bunch of different headsets was unlikely to solve the problem. If your headset worked fine on old Skype and it works fine on other applications, blaming the headset doesn't make much sense.
                  >
                  > Have Fun,
                  > Steve Eley

                • Gwen Orel
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 27, 2011
                    y'all, went back to old skype and guess what? pROBLEM SOLVED! NO MORE HUM. NO WEIRD ECHO.

                    UNreal. I'm glad I have the stnding mike anyway and I do want to get an even better one where you don't hear a click and unclick but it's just too funny. I thought it was the logitech headset, as some posts online suggested it was no longer working with mac. But when the plantronics was no better...

                    yep, it's skype. I was happy with old skype, and will be again! THANKS!