Re: [podcasters] Re: What are all your thoughts regarding Clear Channel's entry on podcasting?

  • Dennis A. Amith
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2005
      On 3/30/05 2:31 PM, "Harold J. Johnson" <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

      > Wow, you just listed all most the dudes I "came of age" with,
      > especially Love Line. (Remember The Poorman? He started Love Line
      > along with Dr. Dru, long before Adam Corolla came along. Poorman
      > isn't remembered for it, though, I don't think--kind of like Dave
      > Winer and podcasting.)
      >
      > Harold J. Johnson
      > http://SomethingthatHappened.com

      I grew up with KROQ 80's and 90's and dig Poorman. I listened to Loveline
      when it was just KROQ but now I think their show is pretty much syndicated
      all over the country. Poorman was awesome and it took a while to get used to
      Adam Carolla but I guess Adam has that raunch/plaboy/loser factor. But it's
      been years since I listened to Loveline but if it was podcasted, I would
      definitely have that show subscribed.

      But dude... I will definitely remember Poorman. Interesting enough, I
      recall an episode of Dawn and Drew and Drew raving about Poorman.

      Quite curious if there are radio industry folks lurking on this e-mail and
      seeing what we're buzzing about in terms of podcasting vs. radio.

      daa
    • Chris Kalaboukis
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30, 2005
        Hi Eric:

        School board meetings - interesting. My wife is the president of the Home &
        School Club at our school and participates in School board meetings. I could
        approach them to try it as an experiment. It's a small school board here in
        San Jose (5 schools) so maybe they'd be up to an experiment.

        Of course my first thought was that it wouldn't make very "gripping"
        podcasting, but the local parents would probably be interested.

        thanks...chris
        ---
        chris kalaboukis
        thinkfuture ETCETERA - future / politics / entertainment / whatever
        http://www.thinkfuture.com/podcasts.asp
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30, 2005
          On 3/30/05 3:30 PM, "Chris Kalaboukis" <ck@...> wrote:

          > Hi Eric:
          >
          > School board meetings - interesting. My wife is the president of the Home &
          > School Club at our school and participates in School board meetings. I could
          > approach them to try it as an experiment. It's a small school board here in
          > San Jose (5 schools) so maybe they'd be up to an experiment.
          >
          > Of course my first thought was that it wouldn't make very "gripping"
          > podcasting, but the local parents would probably be interested.
          >
          > thanks...chris

          I think what you guys are talking about is great. I think city council
          stuff would be interesting, definitely interested in listening to the "No to
          Wal-Mart" campaigns that are sweeping California (and I'm guessing all over
          the Country)

          Here in my area and parts of California are the "No to Wal-Mart" campaigns
          and things are getting quite heavy against the city council.

          I've actually met with my clients in discussing targeting the agricultural
          community to have podcasts. I introduced one major client to the two ag
          podcasts out there but where I currently reside, I get enough flack for
          having a computer and my electronic gizmos at Starbucks (Starbucks here is
          like so different and I get the `you're in the wrong city boy! Think you're
          in Seattle!').

          One thing I'm totally jonesing for are surf report podcasts. I do surfing
          related discussions on my podcasts but I never get into surf reports.
          Talked to a surfing radio show DJ that covers So. Cal. about his feelings of
          podcasting and possibilities of having his past episodes available via
          podcasting and he said he makes his living off advertising for radio and he
          had interest but only if it could add to his income.

          daa
        • Eric Rice
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2005
            San Jose is my hometown and I live in the East Bay now (might be moving back to Santa
            Clara County)... I'd love to help out with any local projects, *especially* in the Valley.

            Anything you guys need, say the word, and I'll see what I can do to help.

            Everyone else! Go get involved in your town!

            ER

          • Michael Ridley
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
              Chris-

              I don't think a national or international podcast necessarily would be
              limited to large sponsors. With the right production tools you could
              make various versions of the final mp3 with local spots inserted for
              various markets. You could have people subscribe to a different RSS
              feed based on their locale. For international or smaller markets that
              you didn't have ad buys for you could run the "national spots" of the
              big brands. I mean, that's how nationally syndicated radio and TV
              content works today. When you watch a network TV show or listen to a
              radio program like Love Line, you get some national spots (Trojan
              condoms or whatever), plus your local car dealership ads.

              The only real downside I can see is that this would obviously require
              more server storage, and would not be as efficient if we move to a bit
              torrent model (since you would have different torrents for each
              version). But hey, if you're making the money on the ads maybe you
              don't care about a little more storage or bandwidth as a podcast
              producer.

              -m

              On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:58:15 -0800, Chris Kalaboukis <ck@...> wrote:

              > My local Trader Joes ad would be of no use on a podcast listened to in
              > Wyoming...
              >
              > thanks...chris
            • Dennis A. Amith
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
                On 3/30/05 12:58 PM, "Chris Kalaboukis" <ck@...> wrote:

                > Hi all:
                >
                > I say mix them in. I wouldn't be surprised if your typical, non-commercial
                > podcasts still rank higher on the rating systems.
                >
                > However, I would suggest that the directories should tag those specific
                > podcasts with a "radio" or "commercial" tag, so you can strip them out of
                > your search if you like.

                This is a good idea. Originally when I posted the message, my intention was
                also to bait radio industry people in posting. Well, at least we know
                Virgin Radio has a presence on this ML. I just want the Clear Channel folks
                to say hi as well :)

                Curious...if Sirius did a podcast of the Howard Stern, would people mind if
                his show was mixed with non-radio produced podcasts. I think he would be #1
                for a long time. Granted for now, I'm sure the radio-produced podcasts
                would love to go tit-for-tat against Adam and Dawn and Drew but if big name
                radio produced podcasts start coming out, I think things would definitely
                change.

                But who knows...anything can happen.

                And to respond to the original post:

                > Of course, the big familiar radio brands will get top billing, and the DIY
                > podcasts (which, in many cases, have more interesting content) will just
                > disappear into some kind of 'amateur' listing.

                Not necessarily, If it was me, I'd give radio brands second billing and the
                non-radio podcasts top billing. The point of podcasting for me is an
                alternative to radio. There are radio shows that I enjoy and listen to but
                for podcasting, podcasting to me is alternative to radio, something that is
                not like radio. I'm not knockin' radio produced podcasts because hell, I
                would be subscribing to them like crazy but I just don't want those type of
                podcasts mixed with non-radio produced podcasts.

                I don't mind seeing the "commercial" or "radio" tag though. I think that's
                a good idea.

                daa
              • Rob Usdin
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1 4:29 AM
                  mind if
                  his show was mixed with non-radio produced podcasts. I think he would be #1
                  for a long time. Granted for now, I'm sure the radio-produced podcasts
                  would love to go tit-for-tat against Adam and Dawn and Drew but if big name
                  radio produced podcasts start coming out, I think things would definitely
                  change. <<<

                  But here's the thing to think about - in any given city - a specific
                  personality MAY very well BE the "Howard Stern" of their region. How many
                  of us are aware of "radio legends" in our particular city or region? I mean
                  you are talking about stations in big cities that definitely have more
                  listeners then any podcast does. If you take one station's morning show -
                  put it on as a podcast - there is a certain built in audience. AND - maybe
                  that audience is tired of the station - but still listens out of habit.
                  They still like the specific personality, but can't stand the music on the
                  station. Built in audience = built in possible downloaders of podcasts of
                  that personality. So I think not just that they would LIKE to go tit for
                  tat against Adam and Dawn and Drew - but that they WILL. They will have
                  locally produced content that may very well be of interest to people in that
                  specific city.

                  >>> Not necessarily, If it was me, I'd give radio brands second billing and
                  the
                  non-radio podcasts top billing. The point of podcasting for me is an
                  alternative to radio. There are radio shows that I enjoy and listen to but
                  for podcasting, podcasting to me is alternative to radio, something that is
                  not like radio. I'm not knockin' radio produced podcasts because hell, I
                  would be subscribing to them like crazy but I just don't want those type of
                  podcasts mixed with non-radio produced podcasts. <<<

                  I think - and I've suggested this before - that the need is to have various
                  "charts" - not just a Top ten of the month, not just a Top 50. So I agree -
                  add that "commercial radio" tag - and then divide it into "overall Top ten",
                  "non-comm Top ten" and "Comm Top ten." The need is for increased ways of
                  looking at the data of who is listening to what podcasts. I'm not seeing
                  that too much - yet.

                  --*Rob