Re: Is iTunes important?

  • tapeleg
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2011
      A friend of mine was doing his podcast on Podbean. He was on iTunes through them, and they screwed up his feed, which screwed up his iTunes feed. I got him moved over to my hosting, and we set him back up on iTunes (with a new feed). The traffic doubled. And this is a podcast about hockey, in fact, one hockey team in particular (can you say niche?). Any podcast can benefit from iTunes. Look at the comedy podcasts listed.

      The easy answer is, yes, it's important. Too important, actually, but that's a rant for another day. The more ways you can make it easy to download your show, the larger your potential audience becomes. iTunes is worth the hassle.

      Again, just my 2 cents. But why not? You get one or two more listeners, at least, by making it easy to download on iTunes.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:

      > I'm wondering how important it is to be on iTunes if your podcast has a
      > non-technical or non-computer geek target audience.
      >
      > I do three podcasts, and I suspect that less than one percent of my
      > listeners have ever heard of iTunes. My topics are treasure hunting
      > old-time radio shows, and playing softball, Perhaps fans of old-time radio
      > might know iTunes (though most of my listeners are senior citizens somewhat
      > fearful of computers), but I doubt that any of my treasure-hunting or
      > softball listeners would be checking out podcasts in iTunes.
      >
      > I post notes on treasure hunting and softball and oldtime radio newsgroups
      > and blogs and discussion boards, and that is how I get my listeners.
      >
      > Thoughts?
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > ---Dan
      > http://danhughes.net
      > http://danhughesbooks.com
      > http://thetreasurecorner.com
      > http://thesoftballcorner.com
      > http://radiofun.info

    • Steve Riekeberg
      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2011
        It's not that geeks use iTunes, it's that geeks are the ones who might
        *not* use
        iTunes. If your show is non-technical, targeting a non geek audience, it's
        all the *more* important to be on iTunes, not less.

        In fairness, certain audiences might listen more by manually downloading or
        through a flash player on the web page.

        Regardless, why would you *not* want to be on iTunes? You want to give
        people the most opportunity to discover your show, to tune in, no matter how
        they do it--and inevitably, some of those at the very least will be through
        iTunes. Not just iTunes--Zune, Miro, Blackberry, etc.

        Steve Riekeberg
        Podcast Perspective
        <http://www.podcastperspective.com>

        On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM, tapeleg
        <tapeleg@...>wrote:

        > A friend of mine was doing his podcast on Podbean. He was on iTunes through
        > them, and they screwed up his feed, which screwed up his iTunes feed. I got
        > him moved over to my hosting, and we set him back up on iTunes (with a new
        > feed). The traffic doubled. And this is a podcast about hockey, in fact, one
        > hockey team in particular (can you say niche?). Any podcast can benefit from
        > iTunes. Look at the comedy podcasts listed.
        >
        > The easy answer is, yes, it's important. Too important, actually, but
        > that's a rant for another day. The more ways you can make it easy to
        > download your show, the larger your potential audience becomes. iTunes is
        > worth the hassle.
        >
        > Again, just my 2 cents. But why not? You get one or two more listeners, at
        > least, by making it easy to download on iTunes.
        >

        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm wondering how important it is to be on iTunes if your podcast has a
        > > non-technical or non-computer geek target audience.
        > >
        > > I do three podcasts, and I suspect that less than one percent of my
        > > listeners have ever heard of iTunes. My topics are treasure hunting
        > > old-time radio shows, and playing softball, Perhaps fans of old-time
        > radio
        > > might know iTunes (though most of my listeners are senior citizens
        > somewhat
        > > fearful of computers), but I doubt that any of my treasure-hunting or
        > > softball listeners would be checking out podcasts in iTunes.
        > >
        > > I post notes on treasure hunting and softball and oldtime radio
        > newsgroups
        > > and blogs and discussion boards, and that is how I get my listeners.
        > >
        > > Thoughts?
        > >
        > > Best,
        > >
        > > ---Dan
        > > http://danhughes.net
        > > http://danhughesbooks.com
        > > http://thetreasurecorner.com
        > > http://thesoftballcorner.com
        > > http://radiofun.info

      • Gwen
        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2011
          My podcast is downloadable from the blog and on iTunes-- one nice thing is iTunes also puts you easier to find on the web. Where else is good to put a podcast? Mine is called new york irish arts, and it's a 40 minute interview show plus tune of the week, usually with 4-5 subjects.

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Gwen
          Message 4 of 12 , May 17, 2011
            Ps my mom is A senior and not afraid of computers, but she gets the podcast in rss...

            Sent from my iPhone

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 12 , May 17, 2011
              My podcast is on college ministry and iTunes accounts for 80% of downloads.

              Crosscampusministry.com

            • Michael Sitarzewski
              Message 6 of 12 , May 17, 2011
                Hey Dan,

                iTunes is the 800lb gorilla in the podcasting space - no matter what any aggregator or host tells you. There are about 200 million iOS devices out there that have direct access to it, and millions and millions more PCs.

                Right now (and I chose those words carefully), iTunes is *the* place to be if you're a podcaster. What comes after that is up for debate, but right now iTunes is the winner. :)

                That said, your job as a podcaster is to get your show in as many places as possible to reach the largest audience, right?

                Put it everywhere! :)

                Michael Sitarzewski
                CEO, Callisto.fm, Inc.
                http://callisto.fm

                On May 17, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Dan Hughes wrote:

                > I'm wondering how important it is to be on iTunes if your podcast has a
                > non-technical or non-computer geek target audience.
                >
                > I do three podcasts, and I suspect that less than one percent of my
                > listeners have ever heard of iTunes. My topics are treasure hunting
                > old-time radio shows, and playing softball, Perhaps fans of old-time radio
                > might know iTunes (though most of my listeners are senior citizens somewhat
                > fearful of computers), but I doubt that any of my treasure-hunting or
                > softball listeners would be checking out podcasts in iTunes.
                >
                > I post notes on treasure hunting and softball and oldtime radio newsgroups
                > and blogs and discussion boards, and that is how I get my listeners.
                >
                > Thoughts?
                >
                > Best,
                >
                > ---Dan
                > http://danhughes.net
                > http://danhughesbooks.com
                > http://thetreasurecorner.com
                > http://thesoftballcorner.com
                > http://radiofun.info

              • Calvin Powers
                Message 7 of 12 , May 17, 2011
                  Well Put Michael.
                  Of course, as a podcast producer, I wouldn't dream of not being registered
                  in callisto.fm as well.
                  :)

                  But seriously. yes iTunes is the 800lb gorilla, but your podcast should be
                  registered everywhere you can.

                  Calvin

                  On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Michael Sitarzewski <msitarzewski@...