Re: What are all your thoughts regarding Clear Channel's entry onpodcasting?

  • Eric Rice
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2005
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Kalaboukis" <ck@y...> wrote:

      > My local Trader Joes ad would be of no use on a podcast listened to in
      > Wyoming...

      Conversely, podcasts with regional appeal like Northwest Noise, could potentially attracts
      some local/regional advertisers/sponsors/underwriters, that is, if Tim so desired.

      I'm working on a project (to kick Clear Channel's nuts a little harder) regarding localized
      traffic podcasts delivered to mobile phones, following the old fashioned model of
      underwriting.

      SF Bay Area Traffic podcasts *could* be underwritten by Trader Joe's, and East SF Bay Area
      traffic podcasts *could* be underwritten by Claim Jumper.

      It's easy to throw a rock and hit Nicole Simon or Mick Stanic in the head (sorry!), but we
      might tend to overlook our immediate communities and neighborhoods.

      City Council meetings? School board meetings? Sounds like podcast material to me.

      ER
    • Dennis A. Amith
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30, 2005
        On 3/30/05 2:31 PM, "Harold J. Johnson" <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

        > Wow, you just listed all most the dudes I "came of age" with,
        > especially Love Line. (Remember The Poorman? He started Love Line
        > along with Dr. Dru, long before Adam Corolla came along. Poorman
        > isn't remembered for it, though, I don't think--kind of like Dave
        > Winer and podcasting.)
        >
        > Harold J. Johnson
        > http://SomethingthatHappened.com

        I grew up with KROQ 80's and 90's and dig Poorman. I listened to Loveline
        when it was just KROQ but now I think their show is pretty much syndicated
        all over the country. Poorman was awesome and it took a while to get used to
        Adam Carolla but I guess Adam has that raunch/plaboy/loser factor. But it's
        been years since I listened to Loveline but if it was podcasted, I would
        definitely have that show subscribed.

        But dude... I will definitely remember Poorman. Interesting enough, I
        recall an episode of Dawn and Drew and Drew raving about Poorman.

        Quite curious if there are radio industry folks lurking on this e-mail and
        seeing what we're buzzing about in terms of podcasting vs. radio.

        daa
      • Chris Kalaboukis
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30, 2005
          Hi Eric:

          School board meetings - interesting. My wife is the president of the Home &
          School Club at our school and participates in School board meetings. I could
          approach them to try it as an experiment. It's a small school board here in
          San Jose (5 schools) so maybe they'd be up to an experiment.

          Of course my first thought was that it wouldn't make very "gripping"
          podcasting, but the local parents would probably be interested.

          thanks...chris
          ---
          chris kalaboukis
          thinkfuture ETCETERA - future / politics / entertainment / whatever
          http://www.thinkfuture.com/podcasts.asp
          > My local Trader Joes ad would be of no use on a podcast listened to in
          > Wyoming...

          Conversely, podcasts with regional appeal like Northwest Noise, could
          potentially attracts
          some local/regional advertisers/sponsors/underwriters, that is, if Tim so
          desired.

          I'm working on a project (to kick Clear Channel's nuts a little harder)
          regarding localized
          traffic podcasts delivered to mobile phones, following the old fashioned
          model of
          underwriting.

          SF Bay Area Traffic podcasts *could* be underwritten by Trader Joe's, and
          East SF Bay Area
          traffic podcasts *could* be underwritten by Claim Jumper.

          It's easy to throw a rock and hit Nicole Simon or Mick Stanic in the head
          (sorry!), but we
          might tend to overlook our immediate communities and neighborhoods.

          City Council meetings? School board meetings? Sounds like podcast material
          to me.

          ER

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

        • Dennis A. Amith
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2005
            On 3/30/05 3:30 PM, "Chris Kalaboukis" <ck@...> wrote:

            > Hi Eric:
            >
            > School board meetings - interesting. My wife is the president of the Home &
            > School Club at our school and participates in School board meetings. I could
            > approach them to try it as an experiment. It's a small school board here in
            > San Jose (5 schools) so maybe they'd be up to an experiment.
            >
            > Of course my first thought was that it wouldn't make very "gripping"
            > podcasting, but the local parents would probably be interested.
            >
            > thanks...chris

            I think what you guys are talking about is great. I think city council
            stuff would be interesting, definitely interested in listening to the "No to
            Wal-Mart" campaigns that are sweeping California (and I'm guessing all over
            the Country)

            Here in my area and parts of California are the "No to Wal-Mart" campaigns
            and things are getting quite heavy against the city council.

            I've actually met with my clients in discussing targeting the agricultural
            community to have podcasts. I introduced one major client to the two ag
            podcasts out there but where I currently reside, I get enough flack for
            having a computer and my electronic gizmos at Starbucks (Starbucks here is
            like so different and I get the `you're in the wrong city boy! Think you're
            in Seattle!').

            One thing I'm totally jonesing for are surf report podcasts. I do surfing
            related discussions on my podcasts but I never get into surf reports.
            Talked to a surfing radio show DJ that covers So. Cal. about his feelings of
            podcasting and possibilities of having his past episodes available via
            podcasting and he said he makes his living off advertising for radio and he
            had interest but only if it could add to his income.

            daa
          • Eric Rice
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30, 2005
              San Jose is my hometown and I live in the East Bay now (might be moving back to Santa
              Clara County)... I'd love to help out with any local projects, *especially* in the Valley.

              Anything you guys need, say the word, and I'll see what I can do to help.

              Everyone else! Go get involved in your town!

              ER

            • Michael Ridley
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
                Chris-

                I don't think a national or international podcast necessarily would be
                limited to large sponsors. With the right production tools you could
                make various versions of the final mp3 with local spots inserted for
                various markets. You could have people subscribe to a different RSS
                feed based on their locale. For international or smaller markets that
                you didn't have ad buys for you could run the "national spots" of the
                big brands. I mean, that's how nationally syndicated radio and TV
                content works today. When you watch a network TV show or listen to a
                radio program like Love Line, you get some national spots (Trojan
                condoms or whatever), plus your local car dealership ads.

                The only real downside I can see is that this would obviously require
                more server storage, and would not be as efficient if we move to a bit
                torrent model (since you would have different torrents for each
                version). But hey, if you're making the money on the ads maybe you
                don't care about a little more storage or bandwidth as a podcast
                producer.

                -m

                On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:58:15 -0800, Chris Kalaboukis <ck@...> wrote:

                > My local Trader Joes ad would be of no use on a podcast listened to in
                > Wyoming...
                >
                > thanks...chris
              • Dennis A. Amith
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
                  On 3/30/05 12:58 PM, "Chris Kalaboukis" <ck@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all:
                  >
                  > I say mix them in. I wouldn't be surprised if your typical, non-commercial
                  > podcasts still rank higher on the rating systems.
                  >
                  > However, I would suggest that the directories should tag those specific
                  > podcasts with a "radio" or "commercial" tag, so you can strip them out of
                  > your search if you like.

                  This is a good idea. Originally when I posted the message, my intention was
                  also to bait radio industry people in posting. Well, at least we know
                  Virgin Radio has a presence on this ML. I just want the Clear Channel folks
                  to say hi as well :)

                  Curious...if Sirius did a podcast of the Howard Stern, would people mind if
                  his show was mixed with non-radio produced podcasts. I think he would be #1
                  for a long time. Granted for now, I'm sure the radio-produced podcasts
                  would love to go tit-for-tat against Adam and Dawn and Drew but if big name
                  radio produced podcasts start coming out, I think things would definitely
                  change.

                  But who knows...anything can happen.

                  And to respond to the original post:

                  > Of course, the big familiar radio brands will get top billing, and the DIY
                  > podcasts (which, in many cases, have more interesting content) will just
                  > disappear into some kind of 'amateur' listing.

                  Not necessarily, If it was me, I'd give radio brands second billing and the
                  non-radio podcasts top billing. The point of podcasting for me is an
                  alternative to radio. There are radio shows that I enjoy and listen to but
                  for podcasting, podcasting to me is alternative to radio, something that is
                  not like radio. I'm not knockin' radio produced podcasts because hell, I
                  would be subscribing to them like crazy but I just don't want those type of
                  podcasts mixed with non-radio produced podcasts.

                  I don't mind seeing the "commercial" or "radio" tag though. I think that's
                  a good idea.

                  daa
                • Rob Usdin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
                    mind if
                    his show was mixed with non-radio produced podcasts. I think he would be #1
                    for a long time. Granted for now, I'm sure the radio-produced podcasts
                    would love to go tit-for-tat against Adam and Dawn and Drew but if big name
                    radio produced podcasts start coming out, I think things would definitely
                    change. <<<

                    But here's the thing to think about - in any given city - a specific
                    personality MAY very well BE the "Howard Stern" of their region. How many
                    of us are aware of "radio legends" in our particular city or region? I mean
                    you are talking about stations in big cities that definitely have more
                    listeners then any podcast does. If you take one station's morning show -
                    put it on as a podcast - there is a certain built in audience. AND - maybe
                    that audience is tired of the station - but still listens out of habit.
                    They still like the specific personality, but can't stand the music on the
                    station. Built in audience = built in possible downloaders of podcasts of
                    that personality. So I think not just that they would LIKE to go tit for
                    tat against Adam and Dawn and Drew - but that they WILL. They will have
                    locally produced content that may very well be of interest to people in that
                    specific city.

                    >>> Not necessarily, If it was me, I'd give radio brands second billing and
                    the
                    non-radio podcasts top billing. The point of podcasting for me is an
                    alternative to radio. There are radio shows that I enjoy and listen to but
                    for podcasting, podcasting to me is alternative to radio, something that is
                    not like radio. I'm not knockin' radio produced podcasts because hell, I
                    would be subscribing to them like crazy but I just don't want those type of
                    podcasts mixed with non-radio produced podcasts. <<<

                    I think - and I've suggested this before - that the need is to have various
                    "charts" - not just a Top ten of the month, not just a Top 50. So I agree -
                    add that "commercial radio" tag - and then divide it into "overall Top ten",
                    "non-comm Top ten" and "Comm Top ten." The need is for increased ways of
                    looking at the data of who is listening to what podcasts. I'm not seeing
                    that too much - yet.

                    --*Rob