RE: [podcasters] Is iTunes important?

  • charleyhays@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2011
      It all really depends on your audience. I looked at my stats last week and Blackberry accounted for 62% of my downloads last month

      Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2011
        Dan,
        For now. Yes. Its not just geeks who use itunes.

        Dave Jackson
        Www.schoolofpodcasting.com
        On May 17, 2011 12:59 PM, "Dan Hughes" <danhughesmail@...> wrote:
        > I'm wondering how important it is to be on iTunes if your podcast has a
        > non-technical or non-computer geek target audience.
        >
        > I do three podcasts, and I suspect that less than one percent of my
        > listeners have ever heard of iTunes. My topics are treasure hunting
        > old-time radio shows, and playing softball, Perhaps fans of old-time radio
        > might know iTunes (though most of my listeners are senior citizens
        somewhat
        > fearful of computers), but I doubt that any of my treasure-hunting or
        > softball listeners would be checking out podcasts in iTunes.
        >
        > I post notes on treasure hunting and softball and oldtime radio newsgroups
        > and blogs and discussion boards, and that is how I get my listeners.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > ---Dan
        > http://danhughes.net
        > http://danhughesbooks.com
        > http://thetreasurecorner.com
        > http://thesoftballcorner.com
        > http://radiofun.info

      • Rick Stringer
        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2011
          85% of my listeners were from iTunes.

          Rick
          ______________________________________
          Parsec Award Winner 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009
          Variant Frequencies Podcast
          http://www.variantfrequencies.com
          The Failed Cities Monologues
          http://www.podiobooks.com/title/the-failed-cities-monologues/
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/VFRick
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/rick.stringer

          On May 17, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Dan Hughes wrote:

          > I'm wondering how important it is to be on iTunes if your podcast has a
          > non-technical or non-computer geek target audience.
          >
          > I do three podcasts, and I suspect that less than one percent of my
          > listeners have ever heard of iTunes. My topics are treasure hunting
          > old-time radio shows, and playing softball, Perhaps fans of old-time radio
          > might know iTunes (though most of my listeners are senior citizens somewhat
          > fearful of computers), but I doubt that any of my treasure-hunting or
          > softball listeners would be checking out podcasts in iTunes.
          >
          > I post notes on treasure hunting and softball and oldtime radio newsgroups
          > and blogs and discussion boards, and that is how I get my listeners.
          >
          > Thoughts?
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > ---Dan
          > http://danhughes.net
          > http://danhughesbooks.com
          > http://thetreasurecorner.com
          > http://thesoftballcorner.com
          > http://radiofun.info

        • tapeleg
          Message 4 of 12 , May 17, 2011
            A friend of mine was doing his podcast on Podbean. He was on iTunes through them, and they screwed up his feed, which screwed up his iTunes feed. I got him moved over to my hosting, and we set him back up on iTunes (with a new feed). The traffic doubled. And this is a podcast about hockey, in fact, one hockey team in particular (can you say niche?). Any podcast can benefit from iTunes. Look at the comedy podcasts listed.

            The easy answer is, yes, it's important. Too important, actually, but that's a rant for another day. The more ways you can make it easy to download your show, the larger your potential audience becomes. iTunes is worth the hassle.

            Again, just my 2 cents. But why not? You get one or two more listeners, at least, by making it easy to download on iTunes.

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:

            > I'm wondering how important it is to be on iTunes if your podcast has a
            > non-technical or non-computer geek target audience.
            >
            > I do three podcasts, and I suspect that less than one percent of my
            > listeners have ever heard of iTunes. My topics are treasure hunting
            > old-time radio shows, and playing softball, Perhaps fans of old-time radio
            > might know iTunes (though most of my listeners are senior citizens somewhat
            > fearful of computers), but I doubt that any of my treasure-hunting or
            > softball listeners would be checking out podcasts in iTunes.
            >
            > I post notes on treasure hunting and softball and oldtime radio newsgroups
            > and blogs and discussion boards, and that is how I get my listeners.
            >
            > Thoughts?
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > ---Dan
            > http://danhughes.net
            > http://danhughesbooks.com
            > http://thetreasurecorner.com
            > http://thesoftballcorner.com
            > http://radiofun.info

          • Steve Riekeberg
            Message 5 of 12 , May 17, 2011
              It's not that geeks use iTunes, it's that geeks are the ones who might
              *not* use
              iTunes. If your show is non-technical, targeting a non geek audience, it's
              all the *more* important to be on iTunes, not less.

              In fairness, certain audiences might listen more by manually downloading or
              through a flash player on the web page.

              Regardless, why would you *not* want to be on iTunes? You want to give
              people the most opportunity to discover your show, to tune in, no matter how
              they do it--and inevitably, some of those at the very least will be through
              iTunes. Not just iTunes--Zune, Miro, Blackberry, etc.

              Steve Riekeberg
              Podcast Perspective
              <http://www.podcastperspective.com>

              On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM, tapeleg
              <tapeleg@...>wrote:

              > A friend of mine was doing his podcast on Podbean. He was on iTunes through
              > them, and they screwed up his feed, which screwed up his iTunes feed. I got
              > him moved over to my hosting, and we set him back up on iTunes (with a new
              > feed). The traffic doubled. And this is a podcast about hockey, in fact, one
              > hockey team in particular (can you say niche?). Any podcast can benefit from
              > iTunes. Look at the comedy podcasts listed.
              >
              > The easy answer is, yes, it's important. Too important, actually, but
              > that's a rant for another day. The more ways you can make it easy to
              > download your show, the larger your potential audience becomes. iTunes is
              > worth the hassle.
              >
              > Again, just my 2 cents. But why not? You get one or two more listeners, at
              > least, by making it easy to download on iTunes.
              >

              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm wondering how important it is to be on iTunes if your podcast has a
              > > non-technical or non-computer geek target audience.
              > >
              > > I do three podcasts, and I suspect that less than one percent of my
              > > listeners have ever heard of iTunes. My topics are treasure hunting
              > > old-time radio shows, and playing softball, Perhaps fans of old-time
              > radio
              > > might know iTunes (though most of my listeners are senior citizens
              > somewhat
              > > fearful of computers), but I doubt that any of my treasure-hunting or
              > > softball listeners would be checking out podcasts in iTunes.
              > >
              > > I post notes on treasure hunting and softball and oldtime radio
              > newsgroups
              > > and blogs and discussion boards, and that is how I get my listeners.
              > >
              > > Thoughts?
              > >
              > > Best,
              > >
              > > ---Dan
              > > http://danhughes.net
              > > http://danhughesbooks.com
              > > http://thetreasurecorner.com
              > > http://thesoftballcorner.com
              > > http://radiofun.info

            • Gwen
              Message 6 of 12 , May 17, 2011
                My podcast is downloadable from the blog and on iTunes-- one nice thing is iTunes also puts you easier to find on the web. Where else is good to put a podcast? Mine is called new york irish arts, and it's a 40 minute interview show plus tune of the week, usually with 4-5 subjects.

                Sent from my iPhone

              • Gwen
                Message 7 of 12 , May 17, 2011
                  Ps my mom is A senior and not afraid of computers, but she gets the podcast in rss...

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 17, 2011
                    My podcast is on college ministry and iTunes accounts for 80% of downloads.

                    Crosscampusministry.com

                  • Michael Sitarzewski
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 17, 2011
                      Hey Dan,

                      iTunes is the 800lb gorilla in the podcasting space - no matter what any aggregator or host tells you. There are about 200 million iOS devices out there that have direct access to it, and millions and millions more PCs.

                      Right now (and I chose those words carefully), iTunes is *the* place to be if you're a podcaster. What comes after that is up for debate, but right now iTunes is the winner. :)

                      That said, your job as a podcaster is to get your show in as many places as possible to reach the largest audience, right?

                      Put it everywhere! :)

                      Michael Sitarzewski
                      CEO, Callisto.fm, Inc.
                      http://callisto.fm

                      On May 17, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Dan Hughes wrote:

                      > I'm wondering how important it is to be on iTunes if your podcast has a
                      > non-technical or non-computer geek target audience.
                      >
                      > I do three podcasts, and I suspect that less than one percent of my
                      > listeners have ever heard of iTunes. My topics are treasure hunting
                      > old-time radio shows, and playing softball, Perhaps fans of old-time radio
                      > might know iTunes (though most of my listeners are senior citizens somewhat
                      > fearful of computers), but I doubt that any of my treasure-hunting or
                      > softball listeners would be checking out podcasts in iTunes.
                      >
                      > I post notes on treasure hunting and softball and oldtime radio newsgroups
                      > and blogs and discussion boards, and that is how I get my listeners.
                      >
                      > Thoughts?
                      >
                      > Best,
                      >
                      > ---Dan
                      > http://danhughes.net
                      > http://danhughesbooks.com
                      > http://thetreasurecorner.com
                      > http://thesoftballcorner.com
                      > http://radiofun.info

                    • Calvin Powers
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 17, 2011
                        Well Put Michael.
                        Of course, as a podcast producer, I wouldn't dream of not being registered
                        in callisto.fm as well.
                        :)

                        But seriously. yes iTunes is the 800lb gorilla, but your podcast should be
                        registered everywhere you can.

                        Calvin

                        On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Michael Sitarzewski <msitarzewski@...