RE: [podcasters] Bluehost?

  • charleyhays@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 22 , May 17, 2011
      The way they price it is based on 1 or 2 years prepaid hosting. At my last renewal it was 6.95 for 1 year prepaid hosting or 5.95 for 2 years prepaid hosting.

      Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

      Message 2 of 22 , May 17, 2011
        I started my first blog on Blogger, and six months later, I changed to a self-hosted WordPress site. I would never go back to Blogger. I'm so much happier now.

        Wherever you host your site, WordPress is so much better to use than blogger. Good luck! :)

      • charleyhays@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 22 , May 17, 2011
          The blogger to wordpress tool is pretty awesome, it transfers everything.

          Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

          I started my first blog on Blogger, and six months later, I changed to a self-hosted WordPress site. I would never go back to Blogger. I'm so much happier now.

          Wherever you host your site, WordPress is so much better to use than blogger. Good luck! :)

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

          > I'm curious too. Right now I'm just using blogger, but want to have my own domain name and am thinking of going to dreamhost...
          > On May 17, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Dan Hughes wrote:
          >
          > > Saw your note about Bluehost and had some questions. I went to their
          > > website and was confused.
          > >
          > > What does "unlimited domain hosting" mean? Surely I can't throw 20
          > > different websites up there for six bucks a month?
          > >
          > > They say, "Regularly $6.95 per month, now just $5.95." Is that for a short
          > > time, or a permanent discount?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > --
          > > Best,
          > >
          > > ---Dan
          > > http://danhughes.net
          > > http://danhughesbooks.com
          > > http://thetreasurecorner.com
          > > http://thesoftballcorner.com
          > > http://radiofun.info

        • Gwen
          Message 4 of 22 , May 17, 2011
            Oh thank you that is good to know. What is the tool? Will my widgets abs things go too? The blog is newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com. Getting the podcast on iTunes xorrectly has been a hassle so that makes me nervous about switching. Did you host yr podcasts on the Bligh youbswitched over? My blog is only 2 months old so I'm torn between wanting to leave it for now and knowing the more I use it the more I tweak it. I'd like to have more ways to organize though...

            Sent from my iPhone

          • charleyhays@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 22 , May 17, 2011
              I'm not sure about widgets, the client sites I have switched over were pretty boring, hence hiring a web designer. I would imagine that any widgets you have can be re created.

              It will transfer posts and comments very easily.

              which feed did you submit to itunes, feedburner or blogger?

              Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

              Oh thank you that is good to know. What is the tool? Will my widgets abs things go too? The blog is newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com. Getting the podcast on iTunes xorrectly has been a hassle so that makes me nervous about switching. Did you host yr podcasts on the Bligh youbswitched over? My blog is only 2 months old so I'm torn between wanting to leave it for now and knowing the more I use it the more I tweak it. I'd like to have more ways to organize though...

              Sent from my iPhone

              On May 17, 2011, at 12:11 PM, "charleyhays@..." <charleyhays@...> wrote:

              > The blogger to wordpress tool is pretty awesome, it transfers everything.
              >
              > Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

            • tapeleg
              Message 6 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                The short answer is no, you can pretty much assume that your widgets are blogger specific, and will not automatically transfer. That said, there doesn't look like anything that can not be recreated easily in WordPress. Widgets are usually system specific, no matter what system you use. But there doesn't seem to be anything to complex, so it should be easy enough.

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                > Oh thank you that is good to know. What is the tool? Will my widgets abs things go too? The blog is newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com. Getting the podcast on iTunes xorrectly has been a hassle so that makes me nervous about switching. Did you host yr podcasts on the Bligh youbswitched over? My blog is only 2 months old so I'm torn between wanting to leave it for now and knowing the more I use it the more I tweak it. I'd like to have more ways to organize though...
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone

              • Gwen
                Message 7 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                  Oh thanks! Did you look at the blog? Will the photos and videos go too?

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On May 17, 2011, at 12:55 PM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...> wrote:

                  > The short answer is no, you can pretty much assume that your widgets are blogger specific, and will not automatically transfer. That said, there doesn't look like anything that can not be recreated easily in WordPress. Widgets are usually system specific, no matter what system you use. But there doesn't seem to be anything to complex, so it should be easy enough.
                  >
                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Oh thank you that is good to know. What is the tool? Will my widgets abs things go too? The blog is newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com. Getting the podcast on iTunes xorrectly has been a hassle so that makes me nervous about switching. Did you host yr podcasts on the Bligh youbswitched over? My blog is only 2 months old so I'm torn between wanting to leave it for now and knowing the more I use it the more I tweak it. I'd like to have more ways to organize though...
                  > >
                  > > Sent from my iPhone

                • tapeleg
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                    That I don't know. If they are linked to from places like flickr and youtube, yes. If not, it depends on how deep the transfer goes. I haven't done that big a transfer, so I'm not sure. When I moved from Blogger to WordPress, I was using Flickr for my photos (no more, though), and so everything was linked to, rather than uploaded.

                    I can say this: if you are eventually going to do it, the sooner you do it, the better. Less stuff to move, less people to redirect to your new site, etc. If you are happy on Blogger, by all means, do what makes you happy. I you need to move, do it. No reason not to.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                    > Oh thanks! Did you look at the blog? Will the photos and videos go too?
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone

                  • Gwen Orel
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                      How did it affect your podcast feed?

                      most of the stuff are links, a very few are uploaded directly from my own computer.

                      Is there a way to do a test transfer without going live?

                      On May 17, 2011, at 2:13 PM, tapeleg wrote:

                      > That I don't know. If they are linked to from places like flickr and youtube, yes. If not, it depends on how deep the transfer goes. I haven't done that big a transfer, so I'm not sure. When I moved from Blogger to WordPress, I was using Flickr for my photos (no more, though), and so everything was linked to, rather than uploaded.
                      >
                      > I can say this: if you are eventually going to do it, the sooner you do it, the better. Less stuff to move, less people to redirect to your new site, etc. If you are happy on Blogger, by all means, do what makes you happy. I you need to move, do it. No reason not to.
                      >
                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Oh thanks! Did you look at the blog? Will the photos and videos go too?
                      > >
                      > > Sent from my iPhone

                    • tapeleg
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                        This was before I started podcasting. If you are using feedburner for your feed, you should be fine, since you will just tell your feedburner feed to look at the podcast feed for your new site. If not, iTunes does have a provision for changing your feed, although I don't know what it is off the top of my head. This may help:

                        http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html

                        As for a test, you could set up a wordpress.com account (it's like blogger in that it's a free service, but uses WordPress to run it), and try it there.

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                          but can you test transfer the blog? how do you get the transfer tool?

                          On May 17, 2011, at 3:22 PM, tapeleg wrote:

                          > This was before I started podcasting. If you are using feedburner for your feed, you should be fine, since you will just tell your feedburner feed to look at the podcast feed for your new site. If not, iTunes does have a provision for changing your feed, although I don't know what it is off the top of my head. This may help:
                          >
                          > http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html
                          >
                          > As for a test, you could set up a wordpress.com account (it's like blogger in that it's a free service, but uses WordPress to run it), and try it there.
                          >
                          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > How did it affect your podcast feed?
                          > >
                          > > most of the stuff are links, a very few are uploaded directly from my own computer.
                          > >
                          > > Is there a way to do a test transfer without going live?

                        • David Jackson
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                            Yes it does. I use host gator. As long as your account doesn't tie up to
                            much processing on the server, you can have as many as you want.

                            Dave Jackson
                            www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                            On May 17, 2011 11:23 AM, "Dan Hughes" <danhughesmail@...> wrote:
                            > Saw your note about Bluehost and had some questions. I went to their
                            > website and was confused.
                            >
                            > What does "unlimited domain hosting" mean? Surely I can't throw 20
                            > different websites up there for six bucks a month?
                            >
                            > They say, "Regularly $6.95 per month, now just $5.95." Is that for a short
                            > time, or a permanent discount?
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            >
                            > --
                            > Best,
                            >
                            > ---Dan
                            > http://danhughes.net
                            > http://danhughesbooks.com
                            > http://thetreasurecorner.com
                            > http://thesoftballcorner.com
                            > http://radiofun.info

                          • Calvin Powers
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                              I dug around the apple forums about this issue and read that you should go
                              to your podcasts page in iTunes and click the "report a concern" button.
                              Then eneter in the form a message saying you are the owner of the podcast
                              and that you need to change the URL of the feed.

                              Calvin

                              On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM, tapeleg
                              <tapeleg@...>wrote:

                              > This was before I started podcasting. If you are using feedburner for your
                              > feed, you should be fine, since you will just tell your feedburner feed to
                              > look at the podcast feed for your new site. If not, iTunes does have a
                              > provision for changing your feed, although I don't know what it is off the
                              > top of my head. This may help:
                              >
                              > http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html
                              >
                              > As for a test, you could set up a wordpress.com account (it's like blogger
                              > in that it's a free service, but uses WordPress to run it), and try it
                              > there.
                              >
                              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > How did it affect your podcast feed?
                              > >
                              > > most of the stuff are links, a very few are uploaded directly from my own
                              > computer.
                              > >
                              > > Is there a way to do a test transfer without going live?

                            • Michael Sitarzewski
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                Someone I know just went through this, and was unable to have it changed.

                                Maybe it's like any other customer service - it just depends on who you get?

                                If you don't like the answer, "call back." :)

                                Michael. :)

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                  I never heard back from apple either, just for the record.
                                  Calvin

                                  On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Michael Sitarzewski <msitarzewski@...

                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                    I'm here to tell you though that while they mean well they are not the most efficient people. One team will fix it and then another will unfix it.

                                    I know whatever I do I don't want to mess around with my feed again-- but my issues were slightly different. I think I can keep the feedburner feed even if I end up switching to wordpress. My issue was that my feedburner feed was the whole blog, and the podcast episodes as a result weren't properly archived by itunes. I created a second feed just for the podcasts, using a blogger tab, and that works like a charm.

                                    It does mean if anyone on itunes goes to the link, they are sent just to the page of podcasts, not the home page, but the tabs are there so if they want to know more they can.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                      Apple has much better things to do than to fix the problems with podcaster's feeds. If they took the time to fix everyone's issues (most of which are self-imposed), they wouldn't have time for much else. I think they could make things a little easier, like making a real setting and set up page for podcast owners, where they could just plug in a new feed (and validate that feed within iTunes), but for something they aren't making any money on, they don't do that poorly with podcasts.