Re: [podcasters] Bluehost?

  • Calvin Powers
    Message 1 of 22 , May 17, 2011
      Dan,

      Actually that's pretty close to accurate as far as I can tell.

      I have one account at blue host and I have the following sites up under a
      single account:
      www.doityourselfcitizen.com
      service.doityourselfcitizen.com
      www.taprootmedia.com
      festivals.taprootmedia.com

      Now, the price just includes hosting. You have to register and pay for the
      domain name yourself. (You can register with bluehost or some other provider
      like Network Solutions.)

      It's a little confusing on how to set it up. When you sign up for an initial
      account, you have to tell them the domain name to associate with the
      account. And then later you can create subdomians within the domain. And you
      can "add on" other domains to the account. So for me, when I registered
      with blue host. I associated doityourselfcitizen.com with the account (I had
      previously bought this name through google last year.) As part of the sign
      up process I created www.doityourselfcitizen.com. Basically this configured
      the servers to associate www.doityourselfcitizenc.com with a directory on
      the server. Once that is done you can install html pages in the directory or
      you can install applications. I installed wordpress into that directory and
      then built my site using wordpress.

      Later, I went into the configuration panel and created the subdomains and
      added on the second domain. But "creating" in this case just means telling
      the bluehost server "when you see a request for
      service.doityourseflcitizen.com, use directory X. When you see a request for
      festivals.taprootmedia.com, use directory y. It's up to you to install the
      files and apps in the directories. Also, you have to go in and configure the
      DNS records to point those names to the IP address of the server you have
      been assigned by bluehost. This involves logging into the company you used
      to register the name and configuring the "A" record for the subdomain you
      are creating. If you register the domain name through blue host, this part
      might be automated.

      So far, I have not found any "gotchas." It's very confusing at first, but
      once you get the hang of it, it's easy and quick to add extra subdomains and
      addon additional domains to your account.

      However, as I said in my original post to the podcasters groups, where you
      can run into trouble is of your site gets too popular. If thousands of
      people start downloading 50Mb files from your bluehost account, it will
      consume too much CPU on the server you have been assigned and in theory,
      they could tell you to stop serving up those files or terminate your
      contract all together. That's why it's preferable to host your actual
      podcast files on libsyn and host the web site on someplace like bluehost.

      That's in theory at least. I suspect that MOST people's podcast is not so
      popular that it would ever cause trouble on the bluehost servers. But I like
      to be an optimist and plan on being super successful. So that's why I'm
      going to host my new podcast (for the do it yourself citizen) on libsyn. :)

      Calvin

      On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...>wrote:

      > Saw your note about Bluehost and had some questions. I went to their
      > website and was confused.
      >
      > What does "unlimited domain hosting" mean? Surely I can't throw 20
      > different websites up there for six bucks a month?
      >
      > They say, "Regularly $6.95 per month, now just $5.95." Is that for a short
      > time, or a permanent discount?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > --
      > Best,
      >
      > ---Dan
      > http://danhughes.net
      > http://danhughesbooks.com
      > http://thetreasurecorner.com
      > http://thesoftballcorner.com
      > http://radiofun.info

    • tapeleg
      Message 2 of 22 , May 17, 2011
        I have been using Bluehost for about 5 years, and I really like their service. They have a good mix of features, and I have very little downtime (hey, computers break, and they break at every hosting service, don't let them tell you otherwise).

        You have to manage your expectations a little. You wouldn't be hosting the New York Times site, or NPR.org there. If you are doing that kind of traffic, you would need more than a $6.95 / month account, but again, that would apply to anywhere you went. There is no magic wand to wave and get boatloads of free stuff for... free. I have known a few people who were unhappy with BH, but mostly because for $6.95 a month, they expected the world. They moved to another host, had the same issues (overwhelming expectations), and were just as unhappy.

        BUT... I host 8 sites under one hosting account with them, and have been EXTREMELY happy. The first domain is free, and other domains after that cost $10 / year (standard stuff). A human being picks up the phone when you call (I believe they are in Utah), and I get very good service, better than most any company out there.

        Hope that helps.

      • charleyhays@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 22 , May 17, 2011
          The way they price it is based on 1 or 2 years prepaid hosting. At my last renewal it was 6.95 for 1 year prepaid hosting or 5.95 for 2 years prepaid hosting.

          Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

          Message 4 of 22 , May 17, 2011
            I started my first blog on Blogger, and six months later, I changed to a self-hosted WordPress site. I would never go back to Blogger. I'm so much happier now.

            Wherever you host your site, WordPress is so much better to use than blogger. Good luck! :)

          • charleyhays@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 22 , May 17, 2011
              The blogger to wordpress tool is pretty awesome, it transfers everything.

              Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

              I started my first blog on Blogger, and six months later, I changed to a self-hosted WordPress site. I would never go back to Blogger. I'm so much happier now.

              Wherever you host your site, WordPress is so much better to use than blogger. Good luck! :)

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

              > I'm curious too. Right now I'm just using blogger, but want to have my own domain name and am thinking of going to dreamhost...
              > On May 17, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Dan Hughes wrote:
              >
              > > Saw your note about Bluehost and had some questions. I went to their
              > > website and was confused.
              > >
              > > What does "unlimited domain hosting" mean? Surely I can't throw 20
              > > different websites up there for six bucks a month?
              > >
              > > They say, "Regularly $6.95 per month, now just $5.95." Is that for a short
              > > time, or a permanent discount?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >
              > > --
              > > Best,
              > >
              > > ---Dan
              > > http://danhughes.net
              > > http://danhughesbooks.com
              > > http://thetreasurecorner.com
              > > http://thesoftballcorner.com
              > > http://radiofun.info

            • Gwen
              Message 6 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                Oh thank you that is good to know. What is the tool? Will my widgets abs things go too? The blog is newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com. Getting the podcast on iTunes xorrectly has been a hassle so that makes me nervous about switching. Did you host yr podcasts on the Bligh youbswitched over? My blog is only 2 months old so I'm torn between wanting to leave it for now and knowing the more I use it the more I tweak it. I'd like to have more ways to organize though...

                Sent from my iPhone

              • charleyhays@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                  I'm not sure about widgets, the client sites I have switched over were pretty boring, hence hiring a web designer. I would imagine that any widgets you have can be re created.

                  It will transfer posts and comments very easily.

                  which feed did you submit to itunes, feedburner or blogger?

                  Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

                  Oh thank you that is good to know. What is the tool? Will my widgets abs things go too? The blog is newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com. Getting the podcast on iTunes xorrectly has been a hassle so that makes me nervous about switching. Did you host yr podcasts on the Bligh youbswitched over? My blog is only 2 months old so I'm torn between wanting to leave it for now and knowing the more I use it the more I tweak it. I'd like to have more ways to organize though...

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On May 17, 2011, at 12:11 PM, "charleyhays@..." <charleyhays@...> wrote:

                  > The blogger to wordpress tool is pretty awesome, it transfers everything.
                  >
                  > Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

                • tapeleg
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                    The short answer is no, you can pretty much assume that your widgets are blogger specific, and will not automatically transfer. That said, there doesn't look like anything that can not be recreated easily in WordPress. Widgets are usually system specific, no matter what system you use. But there doesn't seem to be anything to complex, so it should be easy enough.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                    > Oh thank you that is good to know. What is the tool? Will my widgets abs things go too? The blog is newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com. Getting the podcast on iTunes xorrectly has been a hassle so that makes me nervous about switching. Did you host yr podcasts on the Bligh youbswitched over? My blog is only 2 months old so I'm torn between wanting to leave it for now and knowing the more I use it the more I tweak it. I'd like to have more ways to organize though...
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone

                  • Gwen
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                      Oh thanks! Did you look at the blog? Will the photos and videos go too?

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On May 17, 2011, at 12:55 PM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...> wrote:

                      > The short answer is no, you can pretty much assume that your widgets are blogger specific, and will not automatically transfer. That said, there doesn't look like anything that can not be recreated easily in WordPress. Widgets are usually system specific, no matter what system you use. But there doesn't seem to be anything to complex, so it should be easy enough.
                      >
                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Oh thank you that is good to know. What is the tool? Will my widgets abs things go too? The blog is newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com. Getting the podcast on iTunes xorrectly has been a hassle so that makes me nervous about switching. Did you host yr podcasts on the Bligh youbswitched over? My blog is only 2 months old so I'm torn between wanting to leave it for now and knowing the more I use it the more I tweak it. I'd like to have more ways to organize though...
                      > >
                      > > Sent from my iPhone

                    • tapeleg
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                        That I don't know. If they are linked to from places like flickr and youtube, yes. If not, it depends on how deep the transfer goes. I haven't done that big a transfer, so I'm not sure. When I moved from Blogger to WordPress, I was using Flickr for my photos (no more, though), and so everything was linked to, rather than uploaded.

                        I can say this: if you are eventually going to do it, the sooner you do it, the better. Less stuff to move, less people to redirect to your new site, etc. If you are happy on Blogger, by all means, do what makes you happy. I you need to move, do it. No reason not to.

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                        > Oh thanks! Did you look at the blog? Will the photos and videos go too?
                        >
                        > Sent from my iPhone

                      • Gwen Orel
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                          How did it affect your podcast feed?

                          most of the stuff are links, a very few are uploaded directly from my own computer.

                          Is there a way to do a test transfer without going live?

                          On May 17, 2011, at 2:13 PM, tapeleg wrote:

                          > That I don't know. If they are linked to from places like flickr and youtube, yes. If not, it depends on how deep the transfer goes. I haven't done that big a transfer, so I'm not sure. When I moved from Blogger to WordPress, I was using Flickr for my photos (no more, though), and so everything was linked to, rather than uploaded.
                          >
                          > I can say this: if you are eventually going to do it, the sooner you do it, the better. Less stuff to move, less people to redirect to your new site, etc. If you are happy on Blogger, by all means, do what makes you happy. I you need to move, do it. No reason not to.
                          >
                          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Oh thanks! Did you look at the blog? Will the photos and videos go too?
                          > >
                          > > Sent from my iPhone

                        • tapeleg
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                            This was before I started podcasting. If you are using feedburner for your feed, you should be fine, since you will just tell your feedburner feed to look at the podcast feed for your new site. If not, iTunes does have a provision for changing your feed, although I don't know what it is off the top of my head. This may help:

                            http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html

                            As for a test, you could set up a wordpress.com account (it's like blogger in that it's a free service, but uses WordPress to run it), and try it there.

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                              but can you test transfer the blog? how do you get the transfer tool?

                              On May 17, 2011, at 3:22 PM, tapeleg wrote:

                              > This was before I started podcasting. If you are using feedburner for your feed, you should be fine, since you will just tell your feedburner feed to look at the podcast feed for your new site. If not, iTunes does have a provision for changing your feed, although I don't know what it is off the top of my head. This may help:
                              >
                              > http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html
                              >
                              > As for a test, you could set up a wordpress.com account (it's like blogger in that it's a free service, but uses WordPress to run it), and try it there.
                              >
                              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > How did it affect your podcast feed?
                              > >
                              > > most of the stuff are links, a very few are uploaded directly from my own computer.
                              > >
                              > > Is there a way to do a test transfer without going live?

                            • David Jackson
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                Yes it does. I use host gator. As long as your account doesn't tie up to
                                much processing on the server, you can have as many as you want.

                                Dave Jackson
                                www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                                On May 17, 2011 11:23 AM, "Dan Hughes" <danhughesmail@...> wrote:
                                > Saw your note about Bluehost and had some questions. I went to their
                                > website and was confused.
                                >
                                > What does "unlimited domain hosting" mean? Surely I can't throw 20
                                > different websites up there for six bucks a month?
                                >
                                > They say, "Regularly $6.95 per month, now just $5.95." Is that for a short
                                > time, or a permanent discount?
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                                >
                                > --
                                > Best,
                                >
                                > ---Dan
                                > http://danhughes.net
                                > http://danhughesbooks.com
                                > http://thetreasurecorner.com
                                > http://thesoftballcorner.com
                                > http://radiofun.info

                              • Calvin Powers
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                  I dug around the apple forums about this issue and read that you should go
                                  to your podcasts page in iTunes and click the "report a concern" button.
                                  Then eneter in the form a message saying you are the owner of the podcast
                                  and that you need to change the URL of the feed.

                                  Calvin

                                  On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM, tapeleg
                                  <tapeleg@...>wrote:

                                  > This was before I started podcasting. If you are using feedburner for your
                                  > feed, you should be fine, since you will just tell your feedburner feed to
                                  > look at the podcast feed for your new site. If not, iTunes does have a
                                  > provision for changing your feed, although I don't know what it is off the
                                  > top of my head. This may help:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html
                                  >
                                  > As for a test, you could set up a wordpress.com account (it's like blogger
                                  > in that it's a free service, but uses WordPress to run it), and try it
                                  > there.
                                  >
                                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > How did it affect your podcast feed?
                                  > >
                                  > > most of the stuff are links, a very few are uploaded directly from my own
                                  > computer.
                                  > >
                                  > > Is there a way to do a test transfer without going live?

                                • Michael Sitarzewski
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                    Someone I know just went through this, and was unable to have it changed.

                                    Maybe it's like any other customer service - it just depends on who you get?

                                    If you don't like the answer, "call back." :)

                                    Michael. :)

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                      I never heard back from apple either, just for the record.
                                      Calvin

                                      On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Michael Sitarzewski <msitarzewski@...

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                        I'm here to tell you though that while they mean well they are not the most efficient people. One team will fix it and then another will unfix it.

                                        I know whatever I do I don't want to mess around with my feed again-- but my issues were slightly different. I think I can keep the feedburner feed even if I end up switching to wordpress. My issue was that my feedburner feed was the whole blog, and the podcast episodes as a result weren't properly archived by itunes. I created a second feed just for the podcasts, using a blogger tab, and that works like a charm.

                                        It does mean if anyone on itunes goes to the link, they are sent just to the page of podcasts, not the home page, but the tabs are there so if they want to know more they can.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                                          Apple has much better things to do than to fix the problems with podcaster's feeds. If they took the time to fix everyone's issues (most of which are self-imposed), they wouldn't have time for much else. I think they could make things a little easier, like making a real setting and set up page for podcast owners, where they could just plug in a new feed (and validate that feed within iTunes), but for something they aren't making any money on, they don't do that poorly with podcasts.