Re: Do I Need PowerPress if I'm Using Libsyn?

  • tapeleg
    Message 1 of 9 , May 17, 2011
      Yep, I agree with Michael. Use option 1, and feedburner for your feed. Just having the ability to redirect your feed should the need arise is worth the effort.

      I host with Bluehost, and keep my files there (as well as backups, of course), and have never had a problem with them. I think you would be safer with their hosting than some others, but there is nothing wrong with libsyn either.

    • charleyhays@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 17, 2011
        I use option 1 with flawless results. I do use powerpress for the player and stats only.

        Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

        Message 3 of 9 , May 17, 2011
          Calvin,
          Can you explain why you want to create a page for each episode? You are
          making your life much harder than it needs to be.

          Dave Jackson

        • Calvin Powers
          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2011
            Hmmm, I didn't mean "page" in terms of a wordpress page. I probably should
            have used the word "post". In any case, the plan is to have a post per
            episode for show notes and links to related web sites and such.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2011
              SEO for the show is why you'd do that.

              On May 17, 2011, at 11:02 AM, David Jackson wrote:

> [...]
              > > create individual pages for the eps in wordpress. use the libsyn permanent
              > > URL for the source file, Use the Powerpress embedded player in the age
              > > wordpress rss feed -> feed burner -> feed burner rss feed -> itunes
              > > directory (and other directories)
              > >
              > > Option 2 would probably make more sense if I were planning on hosting the
              > > MP3 files on the wordpress server. But I've read multiple places that you
              > > should not relay on companies like bluehost etc to support your MP3 files
              > > and if the podcsast gets too popular and you use too much bandwidth,
              > they'll
              > > kick you off the service or make you go for a more expensive hosting
              > > package. So that's why I'm planning on libsyn.
              > >
              > > Are there any reasons why option 2 would be an advantage over option 1?
              > Any
              > > other combination that would make more sense?

            • Gwen Orel
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2011
                would you expand on this thought? I've got a book on SEO and am trying to learn but tips are always helpful!

              • Michael Sitarzewski
                Message 7 of 9 , May 17, 2011
                  Sure!

                  Lots of podcasters create a transcription of the show (or use show notes) and post it as a blog entry (more or less), with the flash player for the show at the bottom of the post.

                  This gives Google the opportunity to "see" the show, and index it.

                  Make sense?