Re: [podcasters] Do I Need PowerPress if I'm Using Libsyn?

  • Michael Sitarzewski
    Message 1 of 9 , May 16 3:48 PM
      Option 1 is the winner to me.

      Always, always, always put a layer of abstraction between your host and your directory listings.

      It doesn't matter how reputable the host is, there's always the chance that the feed URL will change. It's not even so much the user inconvenience, it's the way Apple deals with "new feeds."

      My thoughts.

      On May 16, 2011, at 4:02 PM, Calvin Powers wrote:

      > Greetngs,
      >
      > I'm planning a new podcast and am planning on using libsyn for the hosting.
      > I'm trying to figure the right combination of feed generators to use and
      > thought I'd solicit opinions here.
      >
      > The podcast is associated with a blog that will be wordpress based hosted by
      > bluehost. I am planning on creating show pages for each episode with the
      > libsyn flash player to embed the podcast episode into the page. I'll create
      > a category for all episode pages so they can be easily found on the site.
      >
      > I understand the PowerPress plugin can be used to generate the iTunes
      > Compatible RSS feed, but so does libsyn. So which do I use? Also, I'd kinda
      > like to use feedburner because (a) it gives me the flexibility to change the
      > original feed in the future without disrupting the subscribers and (b) I
      > like the features that let people sign up for email notifications and I like
      > the features that automagically tweet notices of new items in the feed.
      >
      > So I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook all this together. Just
      > based on my reading, it seems to me the best option is:
      >
      > 1)
      > libsyn rss feed -> feedburner -> feedburner rss feed -> itunes directory
      > (and other directories
      > create individual pages on the blog using libsyn embedded player. Do not use
      > power press and do not use the Wordpress RSS feed for the category for feed
      > burner or any other use. (If people want to subscribe using that feed I
      > won't block it, but I won't advertise it )
      >
      > But I suppose option 2 is also plausible:
      >
      > 2)
      > create individual pages for the eps in wordpress. use the libsyn permanent
      > URL for the source file, Use the Powerpress embedded player in the age
      > wordpress rss feed -> feed burner -> feed burner rss feed -> itunes
      > directory (and other directories)
      >
      > Option 2 would probably make more sense if I were planning on hosting the
      > MP3 files on the wordpress server. But I've read multiple places that you
      > should not relay on companies like bluehost etc to support your MP3 files
      > and if the podcsast gets too popular and you use too much bandwidth, they'll
      > kick you off the service or make you go for a more expensive hosting
      > package. So that's why I'm planning on libsyn.
      >
      > Are there any reasons why option 2 would be an advantage over option 1? Any
      > other combination that would make more sense?
      >
      > Thanks for your thoughts,
      > Calvin

    • tapeleg
      Message 2 of 9 , May 17 8:12 AM
        Yep, I agree with Michael. Use option 1, and feedburner for your feed. Just having the ability to redirect your feed should the need arise is worth the effort.

        I host with Bluehost, and keep my files there (as well as backups, of course), and have never had a problem with them. I think you would be safer with their hosting than some others, but there is nothing wrong with libsyn either.

      • charleyhays@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 17 9:09 AM
          I use option 1 with flawless results. I do use powerpress for the player and stats only.

          Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

          Message 4 of 9 , May 17 10:02 AM
            Calvin,
            Can you explain why you want to create a page for each episode? You are
            making your life much harder than it needs to be.

            Dave Jackson

          • Calvin Powers
            Message 5 of 9 , May 17 11:12 AM
              Hmmm, I didn't mean "page" in terms of a wordpress page. I probably should
              have used the word "post". In any case, the plan is to have a post per
              episode for show notes and links to related web sites and such.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 17 1:01 PM
                SEO for the show is why you'd do that.

                On May 17, 2011, at 11:02 AM, David Jackson wrote:

> [...]
                > > create individual pages for the eps in wordpress. use the libsyn permanent
                > > URL for the source file, Use the Powerpress embedded player in the age
                > > wordpress rss feed -> feed burner -> feed burner rss feed -> itunes
                > > directory (and other directories)
                > >
                > > Option 2 would probably make more sense if I were planning on hosting the
                > > MP3 files on the wordpress server. But I've read multiple places that you
                > > should not relay on companies like bluehost etc to support your MP3 files
                > > and if the podcsast gets too popular and you use too much bandwidth,
                > they'll
                > > kick you off the service or make you go for a more expensive hosting
                > > package. So that's why I'm planning on libsyn.
                > >
                > > Are there any reasons why option 2 would be an advantage over option 1?
                > Any
                > > other combination that would make more sense?

              • Gwen Orel
                Message 7 of 9 , May 17 1:06 PM
                  would you expand on this thought? I've got a book on SEO and am trying to learn but tips are always helpful!

                • Michael Sitarzewski
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 17 1:09 PM
                    Sure!

                    Lots of podcasters create a transcription of the show (or use show notes) and post it as a blog entry (more or less), with the flash player for the show at the bottom of the post.

                    This gives Google the opportunity to "see" the show, and index it.

                    Make sense?