Re: [podcasters] Aaaah, you know what I mean, you know

  • Gwen Orel
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2011
      I'm not using a mixer, I'm doing all my editing in post. But I think that would work anyway... still I think a lot will go away with a standing mic.

      On May 14, 2011, at 9:52 PM, Dan Hughes wrote:

      > Is your headset mic going directly into your computer, or into a mixing
      > board? If it's going into a mixing board, a quick fix is to turn the volume
      > all the way down before you turn the mic off. Just remember to turn it back
      > up immediately after you turn the mic back on.
      >
      > ---Dan
      >
      > On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
      >

      >> HOW do you get interviewees to knock this off?
      >>
      >> it's not only women. My last interviewee, a man, had TWO irritating
      >> habits-- he ends sentences (if he ends them at all) as if they are
      >> questions, a tic I thought limited to insecure teenage girls, AND literally
      >> every fourth word is Aaaaaaah.
      >>
      >> I did tell him at one point to end his sentences rather than repeating
      >> himself and to watch the aaah, but it just made him nervous.
      >>
      >> Still, it's unlistenable, so I'm having to go in and cut as many of them as
      >> I can-- I notice that these tics are always LOUDER than the rest of the
      >> words too so the AAAH looks like a big old blog.
      >>
      >> anybody have advice?
      >>
      >> I also can't figure out how to avoid the "click" when I turn my own mic on
      >> and off. Anyone? will this go away when I switch from a headset mic to a
      >> standing mic? (haven't made it to b&h yet).
      >>

      > --
      > Best,
      >
      > ---Dan
      > http://danhughes.net
      > http://danhughesbooks.com
      > http://thetreasurecorner.com
      > http://thesoftballcorner.com
      > http://radiofun.info

    • clay.dugger
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16, 2011
        For the mic click, how about turning the mic on BEFORE you boot the computer? If the software isn't running, it won't be recording anything.

        Or, turn on the mic before you start the software.

        I'm, um, afraid that I can't, uhhh, help much with your, mmmm, guests. I am unfortunately one of those that, for some reason, just has to make a noise while I am gathering my thoughts.

        I've gotten to the point in my own podcast where I just leave most of them in.
      • Gwen
        Message 3 of 8 , May 16, 2011
          I am turning the mic on and off so you don't hear a hum.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 16, 2011, at 7:00 PM, "clay.dugger" <clay.dugger@...> wrote:

          > For the mic click, how about turning the mic on BEFORE you boot the computer? If the software isn't running, it won't be recording anything.
          >
          > Or, turn on the mic before you start the software.
          >
          > I'm, um, afraid that I can't, uhhh, help much with your, mmmm, guests. I am unfortunately one of those that, for some reason, just has to make a noise while I am gathering my thoughts.
          >
          > I've gotten to the point in my own podcast where I just leave most of them in.

        • tapeleg
          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2011
            What are you using for editing? Maybe you need to just leave the mic on, and use a downward expander effect / plugin on your track. A downward expander will lower the volume when you aren't talking, and therefor lower the volume of the hum (is the hum coming from the room or the gear?). It works like a gate, only much less harsh.

            If you could let us know what your setup is, from start to finish, including the software you use for editing, that might help. Are you using a USB headset? Plugging into the 1/8" jacks on the computer? USB I/O box?