Re: [podcasters] Aaaah, you know what I mean, you know

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14 6:28 PM
      You don't. You learn to get a lot better at editing out the 'aaahh's and
      the 'ummm's and you learn to recognize the wave form very quickly, but you
      aren't going to get a guest to change their speech patterns in just a few
      minutes. The best you can probably do is to tell them to slow down a
      little, which may eliminate some of the aahs, since that's usually a habit
      we pick up to give ourselves time to think.

      You're not going to change the way the people you interview speak, so learn
      how to edit faster and more precisely. Plan on spending twice the time it
      took to record an interview to edit it for the first year or two. I've been
      doing it for 5 years and I can usually edit in 1.25 to 1.5 times it took to
      record if I'm doing anything more than a cursory attempt to do editing.

      About the click, haven't a clue. That should be a fairly recognizable wave
      form, making them easy to cull. That sounds like a hardware problem, but it
      could also be a 'feature' of your software.

      Martin

      Martin McKeay
      CISSP, QSA
      Network Security Blog and Podcast
      http://www.mckeay.net
      http://netsecpodcast.com
      Twitter: @McKeay
      Cell: 707-495-7926

      "mount -t /coffee /proc/awake /dev/brain" returns "mount : cannot find
      filesystem /dev/brain"

      "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will
      be hacked. What's more, you deserve to be hacked." - Richard Clarke

      On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

      > HOW do you get interviewees to knock this off?
      >
      > it's not only women. My last interviewee, a man, had TWO irritating
      > habits-- he ends sentences (if he ends them at all) as if they are
      > questions, a tic I thought limited to insecure teenage girls, AND literally
      > every fourth word is Aaaaaaah.
      >
      > I did tell him at one point to end his sentences rather than repeating
      > himself and to watch the aaah, but it just made him nervous.
      >
      > Still, it's unlistenable, so I'm having to go in and cut as many of them as
      > I can-- I notice that these tics are always LOUDER than the rest of the
      > words too so the AAAH looks like a big old blog.
      >
      > anybody have advice?
      >
      > I also can't figure out how to avoid the "click" when I turn my own mic on
      > and off. Anyone? will this go away when I switch from a headset mic to a
      > standing mic? (haven't made it to b&h yet).

    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 8 , May 14 6:52 PM
        Is your headset mic going directly into your computer, or into a mixing
        board? If it's going into a mixing board, a quick fix is to turn the volume
        all the way down before you turn the mic off. Just remember to turn it back
        up immediately after you turn the mic back on.

        ---Dan

        --
        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • Gwen Orel
        Message 3 of 8 , May 14 7:08 PM
          Yes, asking them to slow down is a good suggestion, thanks! I realize it's a stalling device, I just wish they'd just take a breath or pause... it's mostly a phoner issue, in person they seem to be ok just pausing. I do spend a lot of time editing but it is seriously an annoying thing. I find people actually don't do this when they're "just' speaking, say if I leave the mic on to go over some business at the end so it has to do with nerves.

          I do tell them to pLEASE END THE SENTENCE. People seem to want to just say what they said again and go on paraphrasing. So far I notice men are worse about this than women.

          i'm pretty sure its hardware, not software.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 14 7:08 PM
            I'm not using a mixer, I'm doing all my editing in post. But I think that would work anyway... still I think a lot will go away with a standing mic.

            On May 14, 2011, at 9:52 PM, Dan Hughes wrote:

            > Is your headset mic going directly into your computer, or into a mixing
            > board? If it's going into a mixing board, a quick fix is to turn the volume
            > all the way down before you turn the mic off. Just remember to turn it back
            > up immediately after you turn the mic back on.
            >
            > ---Dan
            >
            > On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
            >

            >> HOW do you get interviewees to knock this off?
            >>
            >> it's not only women. My last interviewee, a man, had TWO irritating
            >> habits-- he ends sentences (if he ends them at all) as if they are
            >> questions, a tic I thought limited to insecure teenage girls, AND literally
            >> every fourth word is Aaaaaaah.
            >>
            >> I did tell him at one point to end his sentences rather than repeating
            >> himself and to watch the aaah, but it just made him nervous.
            >>
            >> Still, it's unlistenable, so I'm having to go in and cut as many of them as
            >> I can-- I notice that these tics are always LOUDER than the rest of the
            >> words too so the AAAH looks like a big old blog.
            >>
            >> anybody have advice?
            >>
            >> I also can't figure out how to avoid the "click" when I turn my own mic on
            >> and off. Anyone? will this go away when I switch from a headset mic to a
            >> standing mic? (haven't made it to b&h yet).
            >>

            > --
            > Best,
            >
            > ---Dan
            > http://danhughes.net
            > http://danhughesbooks.com
            > http://thetreasurecorner.com
            > http://thesoftballcorner.com
            > http://radiofun.info

          • clay.dugger
            Message 5 of 8 , May 16 4:00 PM
              For the mic click, how about turning the mic on BEFORE you boot the computer? If the software isn't running, it won't be recording anything.

              Or, turn on the mic before you start the software.

              I'm, um, afraid that I can't, uhhh, help much with your, mmmm, guests. I am unfortunately one of those that, for some reason, just has to make a noise while I am gathering my thoughts.

              I've gotten to the point in my own podcast where I just leave most of them in.
            • Gwen
              Message 6 of 8 , May 16 5:21 PM
                I am turning the mic on and off so you don't hear a hum.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On May 16, 2011, at 7:00 PM, "clay.dugger" <clay.dugger@...> wrote:

                > For the mic click, how about turning the mic on BEFORE you boot the computer? If the software isn't running, it won't be recording anything.
                >
                > Or, turn on the mic before you start the software.
                >
                > I'm, um, afraid that I can't, uhhh, help much with your, mmmm, guests. I am unfortunately one of those that, for some reason, just has to make a noise while I am gathering my thoughts.
                >
                > I've gotten to the point in my own podcast where I just leave most of them in.

              • tapeleg
                Message 7 of 8 , May 17 7:53 AM
                  What are you using for editing? Maybe you need to just leave the mic on, and use a downward expander effect / plugin on your track. A downward expander will lower the volume when you aren't talking, and therefor lower the volume of the hum (is the hum coming from the room or the gear?). It works like a gate, only much less harsh.

                  If you could let us know what your setup is, from start to finish, including the software you use for editing, that might help. Are you using a USB headset? Plugging into the 1/8" jacks on the computer? USB I/O box?