equipment: mixer?

  • Gwen Orel
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 25, 2011
      I'm doing my sixth and seventh podcast and really wanting to make the audio better.

      I've been using a logitech headset, an olympus digital recorder, and garageband.

      for different reasons I'm looking at replacing the first two (I may keep the headset as a headset but use an external mic, loads of options there).

      My question: do I need a mixer? and why?

      when I google "podcasting equipment' it comes up in multiple places. What would be the advantages? It seems like it might help with phone recordings, when I have to take a call in (right now it just attaches to my olympus, but then it's one channel).

      anything else?

      THANKS!

      Gwen Orel
      newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com
    • C. Hatton Humphrey
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 25, 2011
        I can only comment on the reason that I just purchased one. I need to be
        able to mix audio from my pc, two microphones and potentially a cellphone.

        Truly there are only a couple of times a year that I need to do this. The
        rest of the time I will only have thePC and one mic.

        Part of the reason I made the investment was to work on the audio quality of
        my show. TalkShoe makes things easy but there can be quality issues there.

        Hatton

      • Gwen Orel
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 25, 2011
          is there some reason you can't just upload the audio from the cellphone and microphone, or are they not recordings?

          right now since i am interview based almost all my recordings are done directly on my computer, a few on my digital recorder (the Olympus which I'm seeking to either get mics for ), but I just upload the audio, edit it and put it all in garage band.

          I apologize if these are stupid questions... since I'm planning a trip to Best Buy or B&H might as well know all I need...

          On Apr 25, 2011, at 11:12 PM, C. Hatton Humphrey wrote:

          > I can only comment on the reason that I just purchased one. I need to be
          > able to mix audio from my pc, two microphones and potentially a cellphone.
          >
          > Truly there are only a couple of times a year that I need to do this. The
          > rest of the time I will only have thePC and one mic.
          >
          > Part of the reason I made the investment was to work on the audio quality of
          > my show. TalkShoe makes things easy but there can be quality issues there.
          >
          > Hatton

        • C. Hatton Humphrey
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 25, 2011
            > is there some reason you can't just upload the audio from the cellphone and microphone, or are they not recordings?
            >
            > right now since i am interview based almost all my recordings are done directly on my computer, a few on my digital recorder (the Olympus which I'm seeking to either get mics for ), but I just upload the audio, edit it and put it all in garage band.
            >
            > I apologize if these are stupid questions... since I'm planning a trip to Best Buy or B&H might as well know all I need...

            They're not stupid questions, we simply have different kinds of shows ;)

            Let me explain - my show is a conversation format between myself and
            my co-host. We record via TalkShoe which allows for us each to call
            in with our own phones (SIP or regular phone) and I control the
            recording. For years I have used my cell to record my voice and then
            used a SIP client with the PC audio as the source for a "mixer".

            Now we're about to do a live event where, for the first time in more
            than 3 years of episodes, we'll be face to face. We simply can't
            record the same way we have in the past. We're going to be in a
            conference room with SecondLife projecting up on a wall and Ken and I
            basically facing each other for the entire show.

            So it's time to invest in the hardware needed to take our show to the
            next level. That means we have to have a mixer to combine the input
            from the various devices to then send back to my PC, and then I'll use
            the SIP client to connect in to TalkShoe. I have to have TalkShoe
            there because that's how other people can participate as we're
            recording and it provides an MP3 stream that we feed in to SecondLife
            for even more participation.

            I'm actually building a cable to interface the cellphone's headset
            jack with the aux send and an input line so that when we get done with
            this live event I can have my co-host call me and I can enhance his
            audio quality some. Other callers can simply dial in to TalkShoe and
            go from there.

            From the sounds of it you've got a recorded show where the only
            interaction with the recorder (computer) is yourself and the person
            you are interviewing. If ever there is a time when you are in the
            same room with the other person, you decide to add another body or you
            want to mix in audio clips real-time from another audio source, you'd
            need a mixer.

            Make sense?

            Hatton
          • Gwen Orel
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 25, 2011
              well I am in the same room with the other person quite often, and I use y digital recorder. In fact on wednesday I'm doing an interview with two other people.

              but I will record it then upload it into my computer. I may invest in external mics, or may not (it seems as though the Zoom recorders are quite a bit larger than my digital)... I would like to have more than one track to work with.

              but I'm still not clear on why that would necessitate a mixer beyond what I do in garage band, where I do put music underneath and do musical changes in between, upload movie trailers, and things like that?
            • Dan Hughes
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 25, 2011
                Gwen, the Zoom recorders have stereo mics build in, and so does your
                Olympus. I don't see how the Zoom would be any better than your Olympus
                (except that the Zoom will record in .wav or MP3, so you don't have to
                convert).

                If you place the Olympus on the table between you and your interviewee, and
                have it turned sideways so one mic in closer to you and the other mic is
                closer to your subject, you will get one channel that is mostly you and the
                other that is mostly your subject.

                I am not familiar with Garage Band, but I'm guessing you can choose between
                a mono and a stereo layout when you put your Olympus recordings into it?

                ---Dan

                On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                > well I am in the same room with the other person quite often, and I use y
                > digital recorder. In fact on wednesday I'm doing an interview with two other
                > people.
                >
                > but I will record it then upload it into my computer. I may invest in
                > external mics, or may not (it seems as though the Zoom recorders are quite a
                > bit larger than my digital)... I would like to have more than one track to
                > work with.
                >
                > but I'm still not clear on why that would necessitate a mixer beyond what I
                > do in garage band, where I do put music underneath and do musical changes in
                > between, upload movie trailers, and things like that?
                >
                > __.

                <http://radiofun.info>

              • Shawn Thorpe
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 25, 2011
                  If your portable recorder does an adequate job of gathering the audio, then
                  there's no need for a mixer, especially if you'll be doing the
                  post-production in Garageband.

                  --
                  -Shawn Thorpe
                  http://shawn.mx/

                • Gwen Orel
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                    It doesn't allow me to choose between layouts that I can figure out-- I just drag the mp3 (I have to covnert to mp3 to import, or at any rate it needs to be in itunes) over.

                    what do you use to edit each channel separately?

                    and do you use mic stands when interviewing?

                    On Apr 26, 2011, at 12:06 AM, Dan Hughes wrote:

                    > Gwen, the Zoom recorders have stereo mics build in, and so does your
                    > Olympus. I don't see how the Zoom would be any better than your Olympus
                    > (except that the Zoom will record in .wav or MP3, so you don't have to
                    > convert).
                    >
                    > If you place the Olympus on the table between you and your interviewee, and
                    > have it turned sideways so one mic in closer to you and the other mic is
                    > closer to your subject, you will get one channel that is mostly you and the
                    > other that is mostly your subject.
                    >
                    > I am not familiar with Garage Band, but I'm guessing you can choose between
                    > a mono and a stereo layout when you put your Olympus recordings into it?
                    >
                    > ---Dan
                    >
                    > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > well I am in the same room with the other person quite often, and I use y
                    > > digital recorder. In fact on wednesday I'm doing an interview with two other
                    > > people.
                    > >
                    > > but I will record it then upload it into my computer. I may invest in
                    > > external mics, or may not (it seems as though the Zoom recorders are quite a
                    > > bit larger than my digital)... I would like to have more than one track to
                    > > work with.
                    > >
                    > > but I'm still not clear on why that would necessitate a mixer beyond what I
                    > > do in garage band, where I do put music underneath and do musical changes in
                    > > between, upload movie trailers, and things like that?
                    > >
                    > > __.
                    > >
                    > <http://radiofun.info>

                  • Dan Hughes
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                      Gwen, see if this helps:

                      http://www.thegaragedoor.com/back/stereo.html

                      ---Dan

                      P.S. As for mic stands, I do recommend them. Just tell your subject not to
                      move around - he/she will have to keep a pretty steady distance from the mic
                      to keep a steady volume.

                      But if you're using the Olympus with built-in mics, just set it on the table
                      between you (turned sideways, like I said before).

                      On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                      > It doesn't allow me to choose between layouts that I can figure out-- I
                      > just drag the mp3 (I have to covnert to mp3 to import, or at any rate it
                      > needs to be in itunes) over.
                      >
                      > what do you use to edit each channel separately?
                      >
                      > and do you use mic stands when interviewing?
                      >
                      > On Apr 26, 2011, at 12:06 AM, Dan Hughes wrote:
                      >
                      > > Gwen, the Zoom recorders have stereo mics build in, and so does your
                      > > Olympus. I don't see how the Zoom would be any better than your Olympus
                      > > (except that the Zoom will record in .wav or MP3, so you don't have to
                      > > convert).
                      > >
                      > > If you place the Olympus on the table between you and your interviewee,
                      > and
                      > > have it turned sideways so one mic in closer to you and the other mic is
                      > > closer to your subject, you will get one channel that is mostly you and
                      > the
                      > > other that is mostly your subject.
                      > >
                      > > I am not familiar with Garage Band, but I'm guessing you can choose
                      > between
                      > > a mono and a stereo layout when you put your Olympus recordings into it?
                      > >
                      > > ---Dan
                      > >
                      > > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > well I am in the same room with the other person quite often, and I use
                      > > > digital recorder. In fact on wednesday I'm doing an interview with two
                      > other
                      > > > people.
                      > > >
                      > > > but I will record it then upload it into my computer. I may invest in
                      > > > external mics, or may not (it seems as though the Zoom recorders are
                      > quite a
                      > > > bit larger than my digital)... I would like to have more than one track
                      > > > work with.
                      > > >
                      > > > but I'm still not clear on why that would necessitate a mixer beyond
                      > what I
                      > > > do in garage band, where I do put music underneath and do musical
                      > changes in
                      > > > between, upload movie trailers, and things like that?
                      > > >
                      > > > __.
                      > > >
                      > > <http://radiofun.info>

                      Best,

                      ---Dan
                      http://danhughes.net
                      http://danhughesbooks.com
                      http://thetreasurecorner.com
                      http://thesoftballcorner.com
                      http://radiofun.info

                    • Gwen Orel
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                        Sorry I feel so dense but now I'm very confused. If I use the Olympus with built in mic won't it just record one input? If I follow your picture and add mics, don't I need stands?

                        I'm using wiretap studio to record skype calls, it appears to let me add effects and normalize each track but not actually EDIT each track separately.

                        Is there a program you use that does allow that?

                      • Dan Hughes
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                          Gwen, your Olympus has two built-in mics which record into two separate
                          channels. They are at the top left and top right - those little square
                          holes are the microphones.

                          Count to ten talking into the left side of the recorder, then count to ten
                          talking into the right side of the recorder, then *use headphones* to listen
                          to what you just recorded. (The recorder has just one speaker, so without
                          headphones it plays back in mono - you have to use headphones to hear the
                          channels separately). Your first track will be mostly in your left ear, and
                          your second track in your right ear.

                          Look at the screen on the recorder when you are recording. You'll see two
                          separate sound files recording; one into the left channel and the other into
                          the right channel.

                          Like I said, I don't know GarageBand, but with most DAWs (Digital Audio
                          Workshop, or sound editing programs) you can see all your channels on the
                          computer screen, stacked from top to bottom, and you can edit each one
                          individually.

                          If you use separate mics like in my photo, you can put them in stands or
                          simply hold them in your hand. Stands are better because when you hold them
                          your hand will make noises on the mic when you move.

                          I don't know wiretap, so I can't help you with that.

                          Where is everybody? Surely someone here can give you some step-by-steps
                          with your particular software.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                            Dan, I think the issue may be not in thr recorder but in the input. the olympus records wma files. Wiretap Studio can't open them. Quicktime can but once I save them as m4v they become just the one track.

                            what program do you use?

                          • Dan Hughes
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                              Gwen, this might solve your problem for thirteen bucks:

                              http://www.easywma.com/

                              You can download a free 15-second demo to be sure it will do what you want
                              it to do.

                              I use Windows and Audition Adobe, and I've never used a Mac so I'm pretty
                              clueless in that area.

                              ---Dan

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                                that link appears not to work...

                                On Apr 26, 2011, at 2:25 PM, Dan Hughes wrote:

                                > Gwen, this might solve your problem for thirteen bucks:
                                >
                                > http://www.easywma.com/
                                >
                                > You can download a free 15-second demo to be sure it will do what you want
                                > it to do.
                                >
                                > I use Windows and Audition Adobe, and I've never used a Mac so I'm pretty
                                > clueless in that area.
                                >
                                > ---Dan
                                >

                                > On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                                >

                                >> Dan, I think the issue may be not in thr recorder but in the input. the
                                >> olympus records wma files. Wiretap Studio can't open them. Quicktime can but
                                >> once I save them as m4v they become just the one track.
                                >>
                                >> what program do you use?
                                >>

                                >> On Apr 26, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Gwen Orel wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> Sorry I feel so dense but now I'm very confused. If I use the Olympus
                                >> with built in mic won't it just record one input? If I follow your picture
                                >> and add mics, don't I need stands?
                                >>>
                                >>> I'm using wiretap studio to record skype calls, it appears to let me add
                                >> effects and normalize each track but not actually EDIT each track
                                >> separately.
                                >>>
                                >>> Is there a program you use that does allow that?

                                >> mic

                                >> table

                                >> it

                                >> Olympus

                                >> interviewee,
                                >> is
                                >> and

                                >> it?

                                >> use
                                >> two

                                >> track

                                > Best,
                                >
                                > ---Dan
                                > http://danhughes.net
                                > http://danhughesbooks.com
                                > http://thetreasurecorner.com
                                > http://thesoftballcorner.com
                                > http://radiofun.info

                              • Dan Hughes
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                                  I just clicked on it again and it worked for me??

                                  ---D

                                  http://www.easywma.com/

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                                    Try typing "easy wma" in Google and you should get directed to the website.

                                    ---D

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                                      that program works but when I open in wiretap it's still showing just one channel... sigh. it's not interpreting two sources.
                                      is it the setting on olympus? I have st sp.

                                    • Gwen Orel
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 26, 2011
                                        also I tried the counting you suggested and listening in headphones and it doesn't work! I see the two mics though. what am I doing wrong? argh.

                                      • Gwen Orel
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 27, 2011
                                          Dan, when I do that both l and r flash at once. You use an Olympus so what am I doing wrong? am I too close to the mic in general? It doesn't seem to really be separating it...

                                        • Dan Hughes
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 28, 2011
                                            Gwen, you can set your Olympus to record in either mono or stereo; yours
                                            must be set for mono. You'll have to check the manual for specific
                                            instructions to do that. I found this on a website:

                                            "The Olympus WS-400S records in .wma format. There are six quality modes,
                                            including three mono and three stereo modes. Using the 1GB of storage space,
                                            you can record a maximum of 272 hours using the lowest quality mono mode.
                                            You can record for just over 17 hours using the highest-quality stereo
                                            mode."

                                            You want to set it to the highest quality stereo mode.

                                            ---Dan