external mics

  • Gwen Orel
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
      when I record a phone conversation, the skype and headset channel are separate so I can add effects, adjust volume on each voice.

      when I use my digital recorder in person, it's one channel.

      is there a mic or something to record a conversation in front of me in two channels?
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
        Zoom H2 and H4 recorders have stereo microphones. They don't get perfect
        separation, but it's quite good.

        --
        Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
        airlock.
      • Gwen Orel
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
          ok thanks!
          I think my digital can record in stereo, does that separate the tracks? how does it know?

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
            By definition, stereo consists of two channels that are saved as one file.

            (more or less, I won't get into the technical matters of "joint stereo" here
            because it would just confuse you)

            Audio editing software can separate the two channels as their own tracks if
            you want to be able to process them separately, though keeping them properly
            synchronized takes a bit of care.

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
              Using wiretap there are separate sources. I can't entirely separate them but I can change volume and add effects in processing. When you use an external mic does it hear 2 sources?

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                Zoom H4's and H2's have separate microphones, so yes, they are separate
                sources. On a H4 you can plug in external mics and have them even more
                separate.

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                  I am using an Olympus digital recorder now. Is there a mic I cld plug into it to get this effect?

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                    If it's not a stereo recorder in the first place, then there's nothing you
                    can do to MAKE it one.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                      My Olympus supposedly has 2 mics and is stereo so don't know what I'm doing wrong...

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                        Not being familiar with that model, I can't help you. There may be a
                        setting you haven't activated. RTM.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                          It records wma files which I have to convert before opening in wiretap and then its just one channel... But it's a stereo recorder! Anyone use qn Olympus 400?

                          Does the zoom record in mp3? For mac?

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Apr 25, 2011, at 2:22 PM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:

                          > Not being familiar with that model, I can't help you. There may be a
                          > setting you haven't activated. RTM.
                          >
                          > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> My Olympus supposedly has 2 mics and is stereo so don't know what I'm doing
                          >> wrong...
                          >>
                          >> Sent from my iPhone
                          >>

                          >> On Apr 25, 2011, at 2:00 PM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Zoom H4's and H2's have separate microphones, so yes, they are separate
                          >>> sources. On a H4 you can plug in external mics and have them even more
                          >>> separate.

                          >> them
                          >>>>

                          >>> --
                          >>> Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
                          >>> airlock.
                          >>> http://www.nobiliserotica.com

                          > Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
                          > airlock.
                          > http://www.nobiliserotica.com

                        • Dan Hughes
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                            Gwen, I have a similar recorder (Olympus WS311-M). It has a stereo mic
                            input, and I can plug a Y-adapter into it and connect a mic to each branch,
                            so I have two mics going into the recorder. They record on separate
                            channels, so you can edit them separately. Here's what it looks like:

                            http://danhughes.net/podcasting/2micsetup.htm

                            Best,

                            ---Dan
                            http://danhughes.net
                            http://danhughesbooks.com
                            http://thetreasurecorner.com
                            http://thesoftballcorner.com
                            http://radiofun.info

                            On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Gwen <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                            > My Olympus supposedly has 2 mics and is stereo so don't know what I'm doing
                            > wrong...
                            >
                            > Sent from my iPhone

                          • Richard Amirault
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                                Thanks-- checked out the picture and that is workable but would stop the recorder from being really portable...

                                are there others like the zoom? has anyone used the Edirol, it seems to be recommended a few places.

                                Also, can I upload the files from the zoom directly to my mac, are they mp3 or wav?

                                On Apr 25, 2011, at 7:59 PM, Richard Amirault wrote:

> [...]

                              • Wayne Joy
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                                  The Zoom saves in mp3 and WAV stored on an SD Card. You can use a SD
                                  Card reader or a USB cable to read the files.

                                  On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                                  > Thanks-- checked out the picture and that is workable but would stop the recorder from being really portable...
                                  >
                                  > are there others like the zoom?  has anyone used the Edirol, it seems to be recommended a few places.
                                  >
                                  > Also, can I upload the files from the zoom directly to my mac, are they mp3 or wav?

                                • Gwen Orel
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 25, 2011
                                    what audio editing software does that? In my wiretap recordings there are two channels but just one track. So I can adjust volume and add effects but not actually edit them separately. I would love to be able to do that.