Sound clips in blog posts vs "Podcasts"

  • Calvin Powers
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2011
      Was thinking about this a few days ago and thought I'd throw the question
      out to this group.

      I'm developing a new blog and podcast devoted to citizen activists. I expect
      to have lots of phone interviews on the podcast and various sound clips in
      the podcast episode. A lot of the content on the podcast will refer back to
      blog posts either directly or via the show notes.

      I was wondering about embedding sound clips in blog posts. I figure it
      should be just as natural to embed audio clips into a blog post as embedding
      a video or picture. The thing is, I don't see this done very often. And I
      was curious if people have seen this sort of thing done on a blog.

      My question in particular is, if I am going to embed a sound clip into a
      blog post, should I just put the clip up or should I put some sort of bumper
      in front of the clip? And if the answer is yes, well then should I treat it
      like an "episode" even if it's one short clip from an interview?

    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2011
        If you're on Blogger.com, you can already embed sound files as enclosures,
        thereby making your blog into a podcast.

        If you don't do that, the content won't part of the RSS feed, and it won't
        be part of the podcast, because a podcast, by definition, is content
        delivered by RSS *enclosure*.

        That's the way we did The Good Parts.

        --
        Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
        airlock.
      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2011
          If you're producing a true Podcast (note the capitalization) that'll be
          delivered via RSS on this site, then I'd suggest just embedding these sound
          clips/interviews onto the blog, as they're just support materials for the
          Podcast. If there's no Podcast being published through the site, and you
          just want to make these sound files podcastable for your subscribers, then
          go ahead and enclose them into the RSS. Also, either way, I don't think
          there's any real reason to add bumpers to these clips. But if you feel
          compelled to do that, I'd suggest adding a quick ID tag at the ends of the
          files, instead of the beginnings.

          On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

          > Was thinking about this a few days ago and thought I'd throw the question
          > out to this group.
          >
          > I'm developing a new blog and podcast devoted to citizen activists. I
          > expect
          > to have lots of phone interviews on the podcast and various sound clips in
          > the podcast episode. A lot of the content on the podcast will refer back to
          > blog posts either directly or via the show notes.
          >
          > I was wondering about embedding sound clips in blog posts. I figure it
          > should be just as natural to embed audio clips into a blog post as
          > embedding
          > a video or picture. The thing is, I don't see this done very often. And I
          > was curious if people have seen this sort of thing done on a blog.
          >
          > My question in particular is, if I am going to embed a sound clip into a
          > blog post, should I just put the clip up or should I put some sort of
          > bumper
          > in front of the clip? And if the answer is yes, well then should I treat it
          > like an "episode" even if it's one short clip from an interview?

          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://shawn.mx/
          http://geminidragon.tv/