Pro audio equipment opinions

  • C. Hatton Humphrey
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 20 7:31 AM
      Looking at two different mixers for my podcast - for "live" events and
      to take the recording quality to the next level. I'm looking at the
      following:

      http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PV6USB/ - Peavey PV6 USB
      http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-MultiMix-6-USB-Mixer-106532344-i1520492.gc
      - Alesis MultiMix 6 USB
      http://www.uniquesquared.com/lexicon-omega-8x4-usb-audio-interface.html
      - Lexicon Omega 8x4

      I originally ordered the Alesis from an eBay store but was told today
      that it's out of stock and discontinued. Guitar Center has them still
      in their warehouse which is why I'm still including it on the list.

      I use TalkShoe for my show and 99.9% of the time am recording from
      home in NY with my co-host recording from his home in FL. We're doing
      a live event in May and need the mixer so we can be in the same room
      and such. My understanding is that any of these mixers can be used to
      bring in the audio from the two mics, the MP3 player and from the USB,
      let us hear the USB but not mix it back to the output and feed to the
      USB into our VoIP connection.

      My budget for this started at $200. I've already purchased two Alesis
      AM1 dynamics for microphones and stands so my available amount left is
      right at the $150 mark. I'm leaning heavily toward the Peavey because
      of the extra XLR jacks and the name, though the Alesis got good
      reviews and has the same number of channels.

      Have any of you worked with this hardware in the past or am I missing
      the boat on some other opportunity? I found the "Technical Pro"
      podcasting kit but the reviews I got included things like
      "unshielded", "loose solder connections" and "picked up a Spanish
      radio station." Not what I wanted to hear!

      Until Later!
      C. Hatton Humphrey
      http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

      No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 20 8:07 AM
        You might want to read this before buying the Peavey:
        http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8753

        I'd go with this one myself:
        http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EURORACK-UB1202-Mixer?sku=631236

        I have a couple of Behringer mixers and they have worked perfectly.

        ---Dan, http://danhughes.net

        --
        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • C. Hatton Humphrey
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 20 8:16 AM
          > You might want to read this before buying the Peavey:
          > http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8753
          >
          > I'd go with this one myself:
          > http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EURORACK-UB1202-Mixer?sku=631236

          Thanks for the heads up on the Peavey! I just found out about the
          Alesis order issue before I posted and haven't had time to read much
          on any of the options I posted.

          On the Behringer, that one doesn't have a direct USB interface so I'd
          need to get an external one, correct? I've found them for $30 or so
          which puts me at the same price point.

          Is there an advantage to using the mixer with the built-in USB
          interface versus one without?

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 20 8:28 AM
            Here's the USB interface I use and it works great:
            http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303313152&sr=8-1

            The mixer without the built-in USB is more versatile, in that you can also
            use it to run a PA system that is not connected to a computer.

            ---Dan

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 20 9:47 AM
              > The mixer without the built-in USB is more versatile, in that you can also
              > use it to run a PA system that is not connected to a computer.

              All of the mixers I've looked at with USB also have a standard MAIN
              output as well... or am I looking at these things wrong? The reason
              I'm asking is because I was pointed to the following Behringer product
              that looks better than the Peavey at this point

              http://www.fullcompass.com/product/404942.html

              Regardless, thanks again for the heads-up on the Peavey! Doing some
              more reading and it seems to be a common problem with that unit.

              Hatton
            • Dan Hughes
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 20 9:55 AM
                My bad - I thought they were USB only.

                The Xenyx you refer to is also a great unit. A bit pricier than the one I
                directed you to. I have both and like them both.

                ---Dan

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 20 9:57 AM
                  > The Xenyx you refer to is also a great unit.  A bit pricier than the one I
                  > directed you to.  I have both and like them both.

                  Thanks for the recommendation, Dan!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 20 10:14 AM
                    On Apr 20, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Dan Hughes wrote:

                    > The mixer without the built-in USB is more versatile, in that you can also
                    > use it to run a PA system that is not connected to a computer.

                    It's not an either/or. I've never heard of a significant audio brand taking the main analog outputs *away* from a mixer just because they added USB or Firewire.

                    Slight tangent: USB interfaces have tended to dominate over Firewire interfaces in recent years because they're so much cheaper -- and they mostly do the job just fine. If you're looking to spend Real Money, however, there are technical reasons why Firewire is better, especially if you have several devices (hard drives, etc.) on the same chain. USB data traffic all competes equally for the line, and it relies on the computer's CPU to handle the networking stuff. Hence, you can get moments of dropped sound sometimes if too much is happening. Firewire uses dedicated network chips (that's also why it's more expensive!) and can reserve part of the bandwidth for the audio stream, so nothing else can get in the way.

                    Does that mean USB sucks? Not really. It's still pretty good. But if you use it, there are steps you can take to reduce the chance of audio glitches. Plug the USB mixer or audio interface _directly_ into one of your computer's USB ports -- not into a hub with your mouse and keyboard and everything else that might want to send data at the same time. And don't save the live audio stream to a USB hard drive. Finally, if you can, shut down any 'background' software on your computer that you don't actually need for recording. This can especially help for older or slower computers.

                    Just a few tips I've picked up. Either way, you're still better off bringing some sort of digital signal into your computer rather than plugging a line into your computer's sound card. So USB mixers are still a good deal.

                    Have Fun,
                    Steve Eley
                  • C. Hatton Humphrey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 20 10:45 AM
                      > Slight tangent: USB interfaces have tended to dominate over Firewire interfaces in
                      > recent years because they're so much cheaper -- and they mostly do the job just
                      > fine. If you're looking to spend Real Money...

                      Unfortunately, my budget is pretty much set below the Firewire price
                      points, but thanks for the information! The good thing is that the
                      only other USB device that's in use is a mouse plugged in elsewhere.

                      My hope/plan was to have something in place to start working with this
                      weekend when I record my next episode. Unfortunately if I want
                      something here by then I'd have to pay much more for shipping and
                      would leave me no room for the bits and pieces that might come up
                      later.

                      Decisions, decisions!

                      Hatton
                    • C. Hatton Humphrey
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 20 2:53 PM
                        > My hope/plan was to have something in place to start working with this
                        > weekend when I record my next episode.  Unfortunately if I want
                        > something here by then I'd have to pay much more for shipping and
                        > would leave me no room for the bits and pieces that might come up
                        > later.
                        >
                        > Decisions, decisions!

                        The choice was made for me, unfortunately - the Alesis is apparently
                        discontinued and even though the guy at Guitar Center said, "they're
                        on the truck" he followed it with, "but not for this week, maybe for
                        next." Any time I hear "maybe" in a question about availability I
                        assume it as a "no"

                        So I went with the Behrenger unit. It was more money than I wanted to
                        spend and a lot more tech than I need but the reviews and the price
                        point I got it at were solid enough for me to be happy with. I didn't
                        shell out the extra $$ to get it here for this weekend's podcast
                        recording but c'est la vie!

                        The biggest lesson I'm taking away from this experience is that even
                        if you have memories of a brand/product line being good, check on how
                        things are now.

                        Thanks for the input everyone!

                        Until Later!
                        C. Hatton Humphrey
                        http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

                        No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
                      • Richard Amirault
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 20 4:27 PM
                          From: "C. Hatton Humphrey"

                          > All of the mixers I've looked at with USB also have a standard MAIN
                          > output as well... or am I looking at these things wrong? The reason
                          > I'm asking is because I was pointed to the following Behringer product
                          > that looks better than the Peavey at this point
                          >
                          > http://www.fullcompass.com/product/404942.html

                          > So I went with the Behrenger unit. It was more money than I wanted to
                          > spend and a lot more tech than I need but the reviews and the price
                          > point I got it at were solid enough for me to be happy with.

                          WHICH Behringer? That url does not (for me) exist .. nor does that product
                          number bring anything up. What is the model of the mixer?

                          Richard Amirault
                          Boston, MA, USA
                          http://n1jdu.org
                          http://bostonfandom.org
                        • C. Hatton Humphrey
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 20 4:44 PM

                            > > So I went with the Behrenger unit. It was more money than I wanted to
                            > > spend and a lot more tech than I need but the reviews and the price
                            > > point I got it at were solid enough for me to be happy with.
                            >
                            > WHICH Behringer? That url does not (for me) exist .. nor does that product
                            > number bring anything up. What is the model of the mixer?

                            Sorry, guess I bought the last one!

                            Behringer XENYX 1204USB USB Mixer

                            The one I bought was a return which meant they had to charge less for it.

                            Hatton

                          • David Smith
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 24 2:40 PM
                              It was 20 Apr 2011, when C. Hatton Humphrey commented:

                              > > Slight tangent: USB interfaces have tended to dominate over Firewire
                              > > interfaces in recent years because they're so much cheaper -- and they
                              > > mostly do the job just fine. If you're looking to spend Real Money...
                              >
                              > Unfortunately, my budget is pretty much set below the Firewire price
                              > points, but thanks for the information! The good thing is that the
                              > only other USB device that's in use is a mouse plugged in elsewhere.
                              >
                              > My hope/plan was to have something in place to start working with this
                              > weekend when I record my next episode. Unfortunately if I want something
                              > here by then I'd have to pay much more for shipping and would leave me no
                              > room for the bits and pieces that might come up later.
                              >
                              > Decisions, decisions!

                              Another factor not always an issue. I bought Behringer's "Podcast Studio"
                              kit, Firewire edition, which uses the FCA 202 ADA interface. Worked a
                              treat with my 32-bit Dell, but when that failed and I got the brand-new
                              Asus, specifically getting a Firewire port -- that's 64-bit Win 7 (at the
                              moment), and Behringer doesn't provide 64-bit drivers. I now have the UCA
                              202 USB version. Some differences in connectors, the USB box doesn't
                              allow for a power brick, and the USB is "fighting" for room on the USB bus
                              with other stuff.

                              Would prefer to be able to use the Firewire, still have it, but I'm stuck
                              there.

                              Griz

                              --

                              grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com