Re: Hey there, newbie looking for advice! Newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com

  • Patrick McNa...
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 15 6:38 AM
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

      > Hi there, I know these questions get asked over and over, and I did search through the messages and on google but still can't find exactly the answers so please don't hate me for asking what are probably easy questions.

      > I couldn't figure out how to get OurMedia to work last week (It didn't say you need an archive.org account, which I now have), so I uploaded the file to my idisk. It's there as file sharing-- but when I saved the podcast (made in garageband) as aac, which allows me to have chapter headings, mobileme changed it into a .mov file, so subscribing to the feed allowed you to download it but not play it. I exported it again as an mp3 and now it works.
      >
      > So, here are my questions:
      >
      > 1. When I upload a larger file (larger than 10mb) to OurMedia, even if I select "audio" in Spinxpress or do it directly at OurMedia, it turns into a text/xml file. Why is that, and how can I stop it?

      Don't bother with OurMedia. You don't need it. Just upload the files directly to Archive.org. I've been doing a couple free podcasts for a while and using archive.org to host. OurMedia just complicates things.

      > 2. I know, I've been told, file sharing the podcast is wrong, but now if I put a link to a page that hosts the media, won't the user who clicks on it have to then find where to download it from on the page? it's not all that obvious in Archive. with the file sharing a dialogue window pops up immediately. This isn't an issue for Itunes subscribers of course, but I want to make the podcast also downloadable for anybody visiting the page.

      You can post a direct link to the MP3 file in your blog after it's uploaded.

      > 3. My feed puts all the latest blog entries in the dscription of the episode, so it has text about a ticket giveaway to a concert and the full text of the post describing the podcast-- NOT what I wanted to appear (and not I think what WOULD appear if I could use the aac).
      >
      > Is there a way using blogger and Feedburner to avoid this? I want the description info just to have what's in the podcast. (yes I may eventually use Wordpress but Blogger was so quick to set up and I want people to get used to it before I eseentially redesign it).

      So are you talking about podcast and non-podcast postings being posted? Probably the easiest way is to set up a separate blog for the podcast from your text blog.

      > 4. Everyone recommends Libsyn for hosting media, but I would need the $15 version at least since when I fixed this podcast it was 44mb (for some reason one track had gone silent). I would rather not spend money on that AND on a webhost, and I do intend to register a domain with dreamhost or someone else. Dreamhost says it has unlimited bandwidth. Why can't I just use them? I just don't understand why I need both a webhost AND a media host. Is the media host cleaner for those embedded links? And if I go to Libsyn, do I have to kill the feedburner feed?
      >
      > I work as a freelance writer so I want to keep costs to a minimum, at least for now. I know despite the advice I can use my idisk for the next episode or two but I also know that's not a long-term solution.

      You may not need paid hosting at all. As long as the show can be listed as Creative Commons you're fine sticking with archive.org. However, if you're looking to produce a paid show or want full control of the files then you'd need hosting.