What are all your thoughts regarding Clear Channel's entry on podcasting?

  • Dennis A. Amith
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30 12:33 PM
      As an iPod user, I think it's cool to hear concerts and clips from the
      Morning shows.

      Since podcasting, I haven't really had the need to listen to Imus, Bob and
      Tom or Kevin and Bean in the morning or Love Line and Coast to Coast at
      night. With the occassional listen to ESPN radio at night for sports scores
      podcasting is what I have been listening to.

      But my thoughts as radio-based podcasts become more readily available, I'd
      like to see podcastalley separate the professional radio podcasts from
      podcasts on the rankings.

      I don't mind professional radio having podcasts because I enjoy Leo
      Laporte's KFI show, I started listening a little to the Virgin Radio
      podcasts and more than likely will check out the Clear Channel ones as well.
      But I enjoy listening to the non-commercial radio podcasts and listen to
      those a lot more.

      As for Clear Channel Radio's new Internet head has commented, "The whole
      goal here is to create a stronger relationship with the listener and the
      advertiser," said Evan Harrison, Clear Channel Radio's new Internet head."

      I'm curious how much advertising would be included in the Clear Channel
      podcasts?

      - daa
    • Michael Ridley
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30 12:39 PM
        I think there is possibly a market for these kinds of radio
        programs-as-podcasts. I don't much care for morning radio programs in
        general, but that's a personal preference and obviously I am in a
        minority since they are very widely produced. I would subscribe to a
        Love Line podcast today. With commercials. I don't care. Plus, I'm
        on the east coast so the fact that it would be "tape delayed" would be
        the norm for me anyway and not that big of a deal.

        As for the short sampler podcasts of the most obnoxious moments from
        morning radio...I can't see that being popular. But again, I'm not
        the target demographic.

        -m
        http://www.secretelite.com/michael

        On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:33:48 -0800, Dennis A. Amith
        <nt2099@...> wrote:

        > As an iPod user, I think it's cool to hear concerts and clips from the
        > Morning shows.
        >
        > Since podcasting, I haven't really had the need to listen to Imus, Bob and
        > Tom or Kevin and Bean in the morning or Love Line and Coast to Coast at
        > night. With the occassional listen to ESPN radio at night for sports scores
        > podcasting is what I have been listening to.
        >
        > But my thoughts as radio-based podcasts become more readily available, I'd
        > like to see podcastalley separate the professional radio podcasts from
        > podcasts on the rankings.
        >
        > I don't mind professional radio having podcasts because I enjoy Leo
        > Laporte's KFI show, I started listening a little to the Virgin Radio
        > podcasts and more than likely will check out the Clear Channel ones as well.
        > But I enjoy listening to the non-commercial radio podcasts and listen to
        > those a lot more.
        >
        > As for Clear Channel Radio's new Internet head has commented, "The whole
        > goal here is to create a stronger relationship with the listener and the
        > advertiser," said Evan Harrison, Clear Channel Radio's new Internet head."
        >
        > I'm curious how much advertising would be included in the Clear Channel
        > podcasts?
        >
        > - daa
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dennis A. Amith
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30 12:53 PM
          On 3/30/05 12:39 PM, "Michael Ridley" <michaelridley@...> wrote:

          > general, but that's a personal preference and obviously I am in a
          > minority since they are very widely produced. I would subscribe to a
          > Love Line podcast today. With commercials. I don't care. Plus, I'm

          When I think about it...Love Line with Adam and Dr. Drew would be a great
          radio/commercial podcast to download and wouldn't mind the commercials as
          well, even though most of them are the Trojan condom commercials (which you
          can never grow tired of listening to no matter how many times you've heard
          it).

          Daa
          --
          METRO MEDIA COMPLEX: Podcast Edition
          www.nt2099.com/MMC/

          J!-ENT RADIO: Podcast Edition
          www.nt2099.com/J-ENT/podcast/
        • Chris Kalaboukis
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30 12:58 PM
            Hi all:

            I say mix them in. I wouldn't be surprised if your typical, non-commercial
            podcasts still rank higher on the rating systems.

            However, I would suggest that the directories should tag those specific
            podcasts with a "radio" or "commercial" tag, so you can strip them out of
            your search if you like.

            I wonder if this will have the effect of the FCC trying to step into and
            regulate the podcast world, or step back and out of trying to regulate the
            radio world. Think about uncensored versions of radio shows being podcast.
            Big ratings.

            On the CC jump in - these guys are very smart. All they are doing is
            re-purposing their content for another medium. Same thing Disneys been
            making money off of for years...On the ad front - remember that since
            podcasting has no regional boundaries, only big national or even
            international brands would be there. Coke, McDonalds, Nike etc...

            My local Trader Joes ad would be of no use on a podcast listened to in
            Wyoming...

            thanks...chris
            ---
            chris kalaboukis
            thinkfuture ETCETERA - future / politics / entertainment / whatever
            http://www.thinkfuture.com/podcasts.asp
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Harold J. Johnson
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30 2:31 PM
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis A. Amith" <nt2099@s...> wrote:
              > As an iPod user, I think it's cool to hear concerts and clips from the
              > Morning shows.
              >
              > Since podcasting, I haven't really had the need to listen to Imus,
              Bob and
              > Tom or Kevin and Bean in the morning or Love Line and Coast to Coast at
              > night.

              Wow, you just listed all most the dudes I "came of age" with,
              especially Love Line. (Remember The Poorman? He started Love Line
              along with Dr. Dru, long before Adam Corolla came along. Poorman
              isn't remembered for it, though, I don't think--kind of like Dave
              Winer and podcasting.)

              Harold J. Johnson
              http://SomethingthatHappened.com
            • Eric Rice
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 30 3:11 PM
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Kalaboukis" <ck@y...> wrote:

                > My local Trader Joes ad would be of no use on a podcast listened to in
                > Wyoming...

                Conversely, podcasts with regional appeal like Northwest Noise, could potentially attracts
                some local/regional advertisers/sponsors/underwriters, that is, if Tim so desired.

                I'm working on a project (to kick Clear Channel's nuts a little harder) regarding localized
                traffic podcasts delivered to mobile phones, following the old fashioned model of
                underwriting.

                SF Bay Area Traffic podcasts *could* be underwritten by Trader Joe's, and East SF Bay Area
                traffic podcasts *could* be underwritten by Claim Jumper.

                It's easy to throw a rock and hit Nicole Simon or Mick Stanic in the head (sorry!), but we
                might tend to overlook our immediate communities and neighborhoods.

                City Council meetings? School board meetings? Sounds like podcast material to me.

                ER
              • Dennis A. Amith
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 30 3:14 PM
                  On 3/30/05 2:31 PM, "Harold J. Johnson" <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                  > Wow, you just listed all most the dudes I "came of age" with,
                  > especially Love Line. (Remember The Poorman? He started Love Line
                  > along with Dr. Dru, long before Adam Corolla came along. Poorman
                  > isn't remembered for it, though, I don't think--kind of like Dave
                  > Winer and podcasting.)
                  >
                  > Harold J. Johnson
                  > http://SomethingthatHappened.com

                  I grew up with KROQ 80's and 90's and dig Poorman. I listened to Loveline
                  when it was just KROQ but now I think their show is pretty much syndicated
                  all over the country. Poorman was awesome and it took a while to get used to
                  Adam Carolla but I guess Adam has that raunch/plaboy/loser factor. But it's
                  been years since I listened to Loveline but if it was podcasted, I would
                  definitely have that show subscribed.

                  But dude... I will definitely remember Poorman. Interesting enough, I
                  recall an episode of Dawn and Drew and Drew raving about Poorman.

                  Quite curious if there are radio industry folks lurking on this e-mail and
                  seeing what we're buzzing about in terms of podcasting vs. radio.

                  daa
                • Chris Kalaboukis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 30 3:30 PM
                    Hi Eric:

                    School board meetings - interesting. My wife is the president of the Home &
                    School Club at our school and participates in School board meetings. I could
                    approach them to try it as an experiment. It's a small school board here in
                    San Jose (5 schools) so maybe they'd be up to an experiment.

                    Of course my first thought was that it wouldn't make very "gripping"
                    podcasting, but the local parents would probably be interested.

                    thanks...chris
                    ---

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 30 4:10 PM
                      On 3/30/05 3:30 PM, "Chris Kalaboukis" <ck@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Eric:
                      >
                      > School board meetings - interesting. My wife is the president of the Home &
                      > School Club at our school and participates in School board meetings. I could
                      > approach them to try it as an experiment. It's a small school board here in
                      > San Jose (5 schools) so maybe they'd be up to an experiment.
                      >
                      > Of course my first thought was that it wouldn't make very "gripping"
                      > podcasting, but the local parents would probably be interested.
                      >
                      > thanks...chris

                      I think what you guys are talking about is great. I think city council
                      stuff would be interesting, definitely interested in listening to the "No to
                      Wal-Mart" campaigns that are sweeping California (and I'm guessing all over
                      the Country)

                      Here in my area and parts of California are the "No to Wal-Mart" campaigns
                      and things are getting quite heavy against the city council.

                      I've actually met with my clients in discussing targeting the agricultural
                      community to have podcasts. I introduced one major client to the two ag
                      podcasts out there but where I currently reside, I get enough flack for
                      having a computer and my electronic gizmos at Starbucks (Starbucks here is
                      like so different and I get the `you're in the wrong city boy! Think you're
                      in Seattle!').

                      One thing I'm totally jonesing for are surf report podcasts. I do surfing
                      related discussions on my podcasts but I never get into surf reports.
                      Talked to a surfing radio show DJ that covers So. Cal. about his feelings of
                      podcasting and possibilities of having his past episodes available via
                      podcasting and he said he makes his living off advertising for radio and he
                      had interest but only if it could add to his income.

                      daa
                    • Eric Rice
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 30 6:03 PM
                        San Jose is my hometown and I live in the East Bay now (might be moving back to Santa
                        Clara County)... I'd love to help out with any local projects, *especially* in the Valley.

                        Anything you guys need, say the word, and I'll see what I can do to help.

                        Everyone else! Go get involved in your town!

                        ER

                      • Michael Ridley
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 31 6:00 AM
                          Chris-

                          I don't think a national or international podcast necessarily would be
                          limited to large sponsors. With the right production tools you could
                          make various versions of the final mp3 with local spots inserted for
                          various markets. You could have people subscribe to a different RSS
                          feed based on their locale. For international or smaller markets that
                          you didn't have ad buys for you could run the "national spots" of the
                          big brands. I mean, that's how nationally syndicated radio and TV
                          content works today. When you watch a network TV show or listen to a
                          radio program like Love Line, you get some national spots (Trojan
                          condoms or whatever), plus your local car dealership ads.

                          The only real downside I can see is that this would obviously require
                          more server storage, and would not be as efficient if we move to a bit
                          torrent model (since you would have different torrents for each
                          version). But hey, if you're making the money on the ads maybe you
                          don't care about a little more storage or bandwidth as a podcast
                          producer.

                          -m

                          On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:58:15 -0800, Chris Kalaboukis <ck@...> wrote:

                          > My local Trader Joes ad would be of no use on a podcast listened to in
                          > Wyoming...
                          >
                          > thanks...chris
                        • Dennis A. Amith
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 31 5:08 PM
                            On 3/30/05 12:58 PM, "Chris Kalaboukis" <ck@...> wrote:

                            > Hi all:
                            >
                            > I say mix them in. I wouldn't be surprised if your typical, non-commercial
                            > podcasts still rank higher on the rating systems.
                            >
                            > However, I would suggest that the directories should tag those specific
                            > podcasts with a "radio" or "commercial" tag, so you can strip them out of
                            > your search if you like.

                            This is a good idea. Originally when I posted the message, my intention was
                            also to bait radio industry people in posting. Well, at least we know
                            Virgin Radio has a presence on this ML. I just want the Clear Channel folks
                            to say hi as well :)

                            Curious...if Sirius did a podcast of the Howard Stern, would people mind if
                            his show was mixed with non-radio produced podcasts. I think he would be #1
                            for a long time. Granted for now, I'm sure the radio-produced podcasts
                            would love to go tit-for-tat against Adam and Dawn and Drew but if big name
                            radio produced podcasts start coming out, I think things would definitely
                            change.

                            But who knows...anything can happen.

                            And to respond to the original post:

                            > Of course, the big familiar radio brands will get top billing, and the DIY
                            > podcasts (which, in many cases, have more interesting content) will just
                            > disappear into some kind of 'amateur' listing.

                            Not necessarily, If it was me, I'd give radio brands second billing and the
                            non-radio podcasts top billing. The point of podcasting for me is an
                            alternative to radio. There are radio shows that I enjoy and listen to but
                            for podcasting, podcasting to me is alternative to radio, something that is
                            not like radio. I'm not knockin' radio produced podcasts because hell, I
                            would be subscribing to them like crazy but I just don't want those type of
                            podcasts mixed with non-radio produced podcasts.

                            I don't mind seeing the "commercial" or "radio" tag though. I think that's
                            a good idea.

                            daa
                          • Rob Usdin
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
                              mind if
                              his show was mixed with non-radio produced podcasts. I think he would be #1
                              for a long time. Granted for now, I'm sure the radio-produced podcasts
                              would love to go tit-for-tat against Adam and Dawn and Drew but if big name
                              radio produced podcasts start coming out, I think things would definitely
                              change. <<<

                              But here's the thing to think about - in any given city - a specific
                              personality MAY very well BE the "Howard Stern" of their region. How many
                              of us are aware of "radio legends" in our particular city or region? I mean
                              you are talking about stations in big cities that definitely have more
                              listeners then any podcast does. If you take one station's morning show -
                              put it on as a podcast - there is a certain built in audience. AND - maybe
                              that audience is tired of the station - but still listens out of habit.
                              They still like the specific personality, but can't stand the music on the
                              station. Built in audience = built in possible downloaders of podcasts of
                              that personality. So I think not just that they would LIKE to go tit for
                              tat against Adam and Dawn and Drew - but that they WILL. They will have
                              locally produced content that may very well be of interest to people in that
                              specific city.

                              >>> Not necessarily, If it was me, I'd give radio brands second billing and
                              the
                              non-radio podcasts top billing. The point of podcasting for me is an
                              alternative to radio. There are radio shows that I enjoy and listen to but
                              for podcasting, podcasting to me is alternative to radio, something that is
                              not like radio. I'm not knockin' radio produced podcasts because hell, I
                              would be subscribing to them like crazy but I just don't want those type of
                              podcasts mixed with non-radio produced podcasts. <<<

                              I think - and I've suggested this before - that the need is to have various
                              "charts" - not just a Top ten of the month, not just a Top 50. So I agree -
                              add that "commercial radio" tag - and then divide it into "overall Top ten",
                              "non-comm Top ten" and "Comm Top ten." The need is for increased ways of
                              looking at the data of who is listening to what podcasts. I'm not seeing
                              that too much - yet.

                              --*Rob