why did first episode disappear from itunes?

  • Gwen Orel
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
      so I uploaded my fourth episode of New York Irish Arts this morning and itunes picked it up-- but it's saying there are a total of 3 episodes. what happened to the first one? How can I make sure this doesn't happen again?

      http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-podcast/id427167887?i=92879609

      is the link.

      Help!

      Gwen
    • David Jackson
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
        My guess is in your wordpress you have it to show 3 episodes. So it shows
        the last three. Undersetting go to reading and see what the number is for
        Syndication feeds show the ___ items most recent

        Dave Jackson
        www.schoolofpodcasting.com
        www.podcastmechanic.com

        --
        Dave Jackson

      • Gwen Orel
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
          I'm not using wordpress, I'm using blogger. Any ideas on where it would be in blogger? I'm using feedburner as my feed.

          On Apr 8, 2011, at 2:33 PM, David Jackson wrote:

          > My guess is in your wordpress you have it to show 3 episodes. So it shows
          > the last three. Undersetting go to reading and see what the number is for
          > Syndication feeds show the ___ items most recent
          >
          > Dave Jackson
          > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
          > www.podcastmechanic.com
          >
          > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
          >

          >> so I uploaded my fourth episode of New York Irish Arts this morning and
          >> itunes picked it up-- but it's saying there are a total of 3 episodes. what
          >> happened to the first one? How can I make sure this doesn't happen again?
          >>

          >> http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-podcast/id427167887?i=92879609
          >>
          >> is the link.
          >>
          >> Help!
          >>
          >> Gwen
          >>

          > --
          > Dave Jackson

        • Gwen Orel
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
            I'm checking my setting in blogger and there's nothing I can find about 3 or any number. :(

            I couldn't find anything in feedburner either.

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
              What is your blogger feed? Lets make sure the source is ok.

              On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

              > I'm not using wordpress, I'm using blogger. Any ideas on where it would be
              > in blogger? I'm using feedburner as my feed.
              >

              > On Apr 8, 2011, at 2:33 PM, David Jackson wrote:
              >
              > > My guess is in your wordpress you have it to show 3 episodes. So it shows
              > > the last three. Undersetting go to reading and see what the number is for
              > > Syndication feeds show the ___ items most recent
              > >
              > > Dave Jackson
              > > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
              > > www.podcastmechanic.com
              > >
              > > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
              > >

              > >> so I uploaded my fourth episode of New York Irish Arts this morning and
              > >> itunes picked it up-- but it's saying there are a total of 3 episodes.
              > what
              > >> happened to the first one? How can I make sure this doesn't happen
              > again?
              > >>

              > http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-podcast/id427167887?i=92879609
              > >>
              > >> is the link.
              > >>
              > >> Help!
              > >>
              > >> Gwen
              > >>

              > > --
              > > Dave Jackson

              Dave Jackson

            • Gwen Orel
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                Thanks so much it's driving me nuts. the first episode had Michael Flatley and though the audio was iffy it was a good show.

                http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

                is the original feed.

                Feedburner is:

                http://feeds.feedburner.com/ blogspot/qHqwC

                I posted 4 things this morning and the rss is working and the latest podcast very early this morning went up. the only issue seems to be the weird deleting of the first episode and saying on itunes that only 3 exist. :(

                On Apr 8, 2011, at 2:48 PM, David Jackson wrote:

                > What is your blogger feed? Lets make sure the source is ok.
                >
                > Dave Jackson
                > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                >
                > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                >

                >> I'm not using wordpress, I'm using blogger. Any ideas on where it would be
                >> in blogger? I'm using feedburner as my feed.
                >>

                >> On Apr 8, 2011, at 2:33 PM, David Jackson wrote:
                >>
                >>> My guess is in your wordpress you have it to show 3 episodes. So it shows
                >>> the last three. Undersetting go to reading and see what the number is for
                >>> Syndication feeds show the ___ items most recent
                >>>
                >>> Dave Jackson
                >>> www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                >>> www.podcastmechanic.com

                >> what
                >> again?
                >>>>

                >> http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-podcast/id427167887?i=92879609

                >>> --
                >>> Dave Jackson

                > Dave Jackson

              • Douglas E. Welch
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                  In Blogger, under Settings, Formatting, there is a setting that shows how
                  many posts or days to include on the front page. IIRC, this is what dictates
                  what appears in the ATOM feed that Feedburner is using to create the podcast
                  feed. So, if the first show doesn't appear on the front page, it might not
                  appear in the RSS feed. I have mine set to show 30 posts on the front page
                  and I believe I did this to keep several posts available in the feed.

                  That said, remember your RSS is only supposed to be a current feed of your
                  last several shows, not an archive of every podcast. In fact, if your RSS
                  file gets large than about 256k, some feed readers and services may have
                  issues using it.
                  *
                  *
                  *DEW*
                  *
                  *
                  *--*
                  *Douglas E. Welch*
                  *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
                  Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...

                  Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com

                  On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks so much it's driving me nuts. the first episode had Michael Flatley
                  > and though the audio was iffy it was a good show.
                  >
                  > http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
                  >
                  > is the original feed.
                  >
                  > Feedburner is:
                  >
                  > http://feeds.feedburner.com/ blogspot/qHqwC
                  >
                  > I posted 4 things this morning and the rss is working and the latest
                  > podcast very early this morning went up. the only issue seems to be the
                  > weird deleting of the first episode and saying on itunes that only 3 exist.
                  > :(
                  >

                  > On Apr 8, 2011, at 2:48 PM, David Jackson wrote:
                  >
                  > > What is your blogger feed? Lets make sure the source is ok.
                  > >
                  > > Dave Jackson
                  > > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                  > >
                  > > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > >> I'm not using wordpress, I'm using blogger. Any ideas on where it would
                  > be
                  > >> in blogger? I'm using feedburner as my feed.

                  > shows
                  > for

                  > and
                  > >> what
                  > >> again?
                  > >>>>

                  > http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-podcast/id427167887?i=92879609

                  > > Dave Jackson

                • Gwen Orel
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                    well, it doesn't appear on the front page-- but neither do the second or third. the feed sends everything into people's mailboxes, but the podcast of course is separate and only the podcast goes to itunes. still, I'll try changing it and see if it helps.

                  • Gwen Orel
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                      also, I don't need an archive of every podcast, but it's weekly and 3 is just NOT enough to even be current.

                    • Gwen Orel
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                        changed it, didn't fix anything yet. :(

                        On Apr 8, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Douglas E. Welch wrote:

                        > In Blogger, under Settings, Formatting, there is a setting that shows how
                        > many posts or days to include on the front page. IIRC, this is what dictates
                        > what appears in the ATOM feed that Feedburner is using to create the podcast
                        > feed. So, if the first show doesn't appear on the front page, it might not
                        > appear in the RSS feed. I have mine set to show 30 posts on the front page
                        > and I believe I did this to keep several posts available in the feed.
                        >
                        > That said, remember your RSS is only supposed to be a current feed of your
                        > last several shows, not an archive of every podcast. In fact, if your RSS
                        > file gets large than about 256k, some feed readers and services may have
                        > issues using it.
                        > *
                        > *
                        > *DEW*
                        > *
                        > *
                        > *--*
                        > *Douglas E. Welch*
                        > *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
                        > Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...
                        >
                        > Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com
                        >

                        > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> Thanks so much it's driving me nuts. the first episode had Michael Flatley
                        >> and though the audio was iffy it was a good show.
                        >>
                        >> http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
                        >>
                        >> is the original feed.
                        >>
                        >> Feedburner is:
                        >>
                        >> http://feeds.feedburner.com/ blogspot/qHqwC
                        >>
                        >> I posted 4 things this morning and the rss is working and the latest
                        >> podcast very early this morning went up. the only issue seems to be the
                        >> weird deleting of the first episode and saying on itunes that only 3 exist.
                        >> :(
                        >>

                        >> On Apr 8, 2011, at 2:48 PM, David Jackson wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> What is your blogger feed? Lets make sure the source is ok.
                        >>>
                        >>> Dave Jackson
                        >>> www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                        >> be

                        >> shows
                        >> for

                        >> and
                        >>>>>>

                        >> http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-podcast/id427167887?i=92879609

                        >>> --
                        >>> Dave Jackson

                      • Douglas E. Welch
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                          You probably would need to Ping and/or resync the feed to have it pick up
                          any new settings. It will do it on its own, eventually, though.
                          *
                          *
                          *DEW*
                          *
                          *
                          *--*

                          Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com

                          On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                          > changed it, didn't fix anything yet. :(
                          >

                          > On Apr 8, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Douglas E. Welch wrote:
                          >
                          > > In Blogger, under Settings, Formatting, there is a setting that shows how
                          > > many posts or days to include on the front page. IIRC, this is what
                          > dictates
                          > > what appears in the ATOM feed that Feedburner is using to create the
                          > podcast
                          > > feed. So, if the first show doesn't appear on the front page, it might
                          > not
                          > > appear in the RSS feed. I have mine set to show 30 posts on the front
                          > page
                          > > and I believe I did this to keep several posts available in the feed.
                          > >
                          > > That said, remember your RSS is only supposed to be a current feed of
                          > your
                          > > last several shows, not an archive of every podcast. In fact, if your RSS
                          > > file gets large than about 256k, some feed readers and services may have
                          > > issues using it.
                          > > *
                          > > *
                          > > *DEW*
                          > > *
                          > > *
                          > > *--*
                          > > *Douglas E. Welch*
                          > > *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
                          > > Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...
                          > >
                          > > Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com
                          > >

                          > > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > >> Thanks so much it's driving me nuts. the first episode had Michael
                          > Flatley
                          > >> and though the audio was iffy it was a good show.
                          > >>
                          > >> http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
                          > >>
                          > >> is the original feed.
                          > >>
                          > >> Feedburner is:
                          > >>
                          > >> http://feeds.feedburner.com/ blogspot/qHqwC
                          > >>
                          > >> I posted 4 things this morning and the rss is working and the latest
                          > >> podcast very early this morning went up. the only issue seems to be the
                          > >> weird deleting of the first episode and saying on itunes that only 3
                          > exist.
                          > >> :(

                          > would
                          > >> be

                          > >> shows
                          > >> for

                          > >> and
                          > episodes.
                          > >>>>>>

                          > http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-podcast/id427167887?i=92879609

                        • Douglas E. Welch
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                            Which show isn't appearing in the podcast feed, specifically?

                            Is it this one?

                            I Was Blind, and Now I See... maybe. Review of MOLLY SWEENEY at Irish
                            Rep<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/blogspot/qHqwC/~3/Eg3aPNp4IM8/i-was-blind-and-now-i-see-maybe-review.html>

                            If so, I can see in the Feedburner feed that it isn't seeing an enclosure
                            for that post, although the audio player in the post will play the audio.

                            If this IS the one that is missing, you need to include a direct link to the
                            MP3 somewhere in the post so that Feedburner can pick it up. Having the
                            audio player link alone will not suffice.

                            Let me know if this isn't the podcast episode that is missing and I will
                            look deeper into the issue.

                            *
                            *
                            *DEW*
                            *
                            *
                            *--*

                            Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com

                            On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                            > changed it, didn't fix anything yet. :(
                            >

                            > On Apr 8, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Douglas E. Welch wrote:
                            >
                            > > In Blogger, under Settings, Formatting, there is a setting that shows how
                            > > many posts or days to include on the front page. IIRC, this is what
                            > dictates
                            > > what appears in the ATOM feed that Feedburner is using to create the
                            > podcast
                            > > feed. So, if the first show doesn't appear on the front page, it might
                            > not
                            > > appear in the RSS feed. I have mine set to show 30 posts on the front
                            > page
                            > > and I believe I did this to keep several posts available in the feed.
                            > >
                            > > That said, remember your RSS is only supposed to be a current feed of
                            > your
                            > > last several shows, not an archive of every podcast. In fact, if your RSS
                            > > file gets large than about 256k, some feed readers and services may have
                            > > issues using it.
                            > > *
                            > > *
                            > > *DEW*
                            > > *
                            > > *
                            > > *--*
                            > > *Douglas E. Welch*
                            > > *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
                            > > Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...
                            > >
                            > > Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com
                            > >

                            > > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > >> Thanks so much it's driving me nuts. the first episode had Michael
                            > Flatley
                            > >> and though the audio was iffy it was a good show.
                            > >>
                            > >> http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
                            > >>
                            > >> is the original feed.
                            > >>
                            > >> Feedburner is:
                            > >>
                            > >> http://feeds.feedburner.com/ blogspot/qHqwC
                            > >>
                            > >> I posted 4 things this morning and the rss is working and the latest
                            > >> podcast very early this morning went up. the only issue seems to be the
                            > >> weird deleting of the first episode and saying on itunes that only 3
                            > exist.
                            > >> :(

                            > would
                            > >> be

                            > >> shows
                            > >> for

                            > >> and
                            > episodes.
                            > >>>>>>

                            > http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-podcast/id427167887?i=92879609

                          • Gwen Orel
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                              Nope. that one's still up on itunes.

                              It's the first one. Which itunes was seeing just fine until I posted the most recent one this morning.
                              it's no longer seeing THIS one:

                              http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-york-irish-arts-premiere-podcast.html

                              all four podcast posts do have an enclosure link.

                            • Gwen Orel
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                                I got this reply on an apple forum:

                                *The 'Premiere Podcast' episode which is the earliest in the page you linked to is not present in the feed: so obviously iTunes cannot show it. Its date is March 18th: there are no entries that *early in the feed, leading me back to my original conclusion. I haven't counted the episodes, but there are a lot, and probably you've reached the limit at which Blogspot removes older *episodes from the feed - it would be counting all the episodes, of course, not just those with media. You will need to query this with Blogspot.

                                If this is the case, how do I work around? i want an rss so people can see the blog posts, but want the podcast episodes to stay on itunes, and there are only one of them a week. do I need 2 feeds?

                                It is a little suspicious since the post was there until I posted the new one...

                                by the way, you're describing a review tht happens to have audio. I don't want that to have an enclosure, it isn't a podcast. all four podcasts can be seen by clicking on the podcast tab on the blog. :)

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                                  sorry misread, the one you mention isn't a podcast.

                                • Douglas E. Welch
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                                    No easy solution to this one, I don't think. You could create a podcast
                                    specific feed using the LABEL feature of Blogger's RSS feed i.e.

                                    http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/Podcast

                                    and feed that to Feedburner, or a second Feedburner feed but I think that
                                    just complicates things for you.

                                    In this case, I think the 4 podcasts are far enough apart (by date or number
                                    of posts) and the the first one is rolling out of the RSS before you would
                                    like. That said, all podcasts will eventually roll out of the feed so it is
                                    something that will continue to occur.
                                    *
                                    *
                                    *DEW*
                                    *
                                    *
                                    *--*

                                    Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com

                                    On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                                    > sorry misread, the one you mention isn't a podcast.
                                    >
                                    > On Apr 8, 2011, at 4:49 PM, Gwen Orel wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Nope. that one's still up on itunes.
                                    > >
                                    > > It's the first one. Which itunes was seeing just fine until I posted the
                                    > most recent one this morning.
                                    > > it's no longer seeing THIS one:
                                    > >

                                    > http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-york-irish-arts-premiere-podcast.html
                                    > >
                                    > > all four podcast posts do have an enclosure link.
                                    > >
                                    > > On Apr 8, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Douglas E. Welch wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > Which show isn't appearing in the podcast feed, specifically?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Is it this one?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I Was Blind, and Now I See... maybe. Review of MOLLY SWEENEY at Irish
                                    > > > Rep<
                                    > http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/blogspot/qHqwC/~3/Eg3aPNp4IM8/i-was-blind-and-now-i-see-maybe-review.html
                                    > >

                                    > > > If so, I can see in the Feedburner feed that it isn't seeing an
                                    > enclosure
                                    > > > for that post, although the audio player in the post will play the
                                    > audio.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > If this IS the one that is missing, you need to include a direct link
                                    > to the
                                    > > > MP3 somewhere in the post so that Feedburner can pick it up. Having the
                                    > > > audio player link alone will not suffice.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Let me know if this isn't the podcast episode that is missing and I
                                    > will
                                    > > > look deeper into the issue.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > *
                                    > > > *
                                    > > > *DEW*
                                    > > > *
                                    > > > *
                                    > > > *--*
                                    > > > *Douglas E. Welch*
                                    > > > *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
                                    > > > Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com

                                    > how
                                    > might

                                    > RSS
                                    > have

                                    > the

                                    > it
                                    > number is

                                    > morning
                                    > happen
                                    > > >>>>>>>>

                                    > http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-podcast/id427167887?i=92879609

                                  • Gwen
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 8, 2011
                                      Oy. If I host using dreamhost would it make any difference? How do people do this??? I want there to be at least a mo the worth of episodes on itinerant I want people to be able to download older ones.... Help!!! Don't even know how to create a second feed- it doesn't look as though bloggers set up for that....& what would it do to the current iTunes feed if I did?

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                    • Gwen Orel
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 9, 2011
                                        if i created a separate feed just for itunes, would the first continue to work?

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 9, 2011
                                          Yes. Create a new Feedburner feed that points to the "label" feed and name
                                          it slightly differently. Although you may be better off to just keep with
                                          you have and deal with not having an entire month available. You might be
                                          making it much more complicated for yourself. Sort of "Beyond here be
                                          dragons..." sort of effect.
                                          *
                                          *
                                          *DEW*