Where do find music?

  • ZakRhyno
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
      I have not really been able to find a podcast website that a person can
      download music that they can play on their podcast, any suggests?

    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
        Just do Google searches for PODSAFE MUSIC and POD FREE MUSIC and you'll get
        a bunch of sites.

        ---Dan

        On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:32 PM, ZakRhyno <zakrhyno@...> wrote:

        > I have not really been able to find a podcast website that a person can
        > download music that they can play on their podcast, any suggests?

        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • ZakRhyno
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
          Try and got many sites that say hey give us money then you can have access
          which there are to many and I don't get the idea that it a good one to do
          that. Ideas?

          Just do Google searches for PODSAFE MUSIC and POD FREE MUSIC and you'll get
          a bunch of sites.

          ---Dan

          On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:32 PM, ZakRhyno <zakrhyno@...> wrote:

          > I have not really been able to find a podcast website that a person
          > can download music that they can play on their podcast, any suggests?

          Best,

          ---Dan
          http://danhughes.net
          http://danhughesbooks.com
          http://thetreasurecorner.com
          http://thesoftballcorner.com
          http://radiofun.info

        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
            From: "ZakRhyno"

            > Try and got many sites that say hey give us money then you can have access
            > which there are to many and I don't get the idea that it a good one to do
            > that. Ideas?

            There are two, seperate, conditions / situations where money is involved.

            First, to pay the author of the song (for his hard work in creating the
            music)
            Second, to get access to the song itself.

            You can purchase a song from (say) iTunes, or Amazon ... and that allows you
            to play in on your mp3 player .. but it does NOT allow you to play it on
            your podcast (what is called a "public performance")

            There are people who create music and are willing to forgo a seperate
            royalty payment. Instead they charge a bit more when they sell the song and
            that extra money is enough for them. "Royalty Free" does not mean free to
            purchase.

            There are other folks who, for various reasons .. like they want to get the
            exposure, will create music and not charge royalty and, in addition,
            actually give the song away for free as well. However the number of folks
            who do this are not very many. Also the quality and types of music are
            limited.

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • David Byrd
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
              I have been using Mevio's Music Alley (formerly known as Podsafe Music
              Network) for most of my podcasting career. The music is truly free, and the
              only term of use is that you give credit to the artist(s), tell your
              listeners where you got the music, and inform the artist(s) after you have
              used it. The user interface is easy to use, you can listen to the song in
              its entirety, and you can do derivative works, etc., as long as you don't
              sell it.

              Check it out: musicalley.com

              David Byrd- Host of "That Blue Jeans Guy" Podcast

              http://thatbluejeansguy.com

              thatbluejeansguy@...

              Listener Line: 989-372-1489 (1GUY)

            • charleyhays@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                I have always had great luck on myspace. Musicians are still very active there. Its searchable by genre,and I have never had an indie artist tell me no once I told them who I was and explained my intentions.

                Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                  I use CyberPR and have had access to a number of excellent artists through their service. Most of the songs are high quality, original music from up and coming artists. Through the CyberPR site, I can get interviews with the artists, station IDs, and other things I haven't tried yet. I think they are one of the best sources for podsafe music. The site is http://arielpublicity.com

                  Regards,
                  Ed Morgan
                  Host, The Parrot Hut podcast
                  http://www.parrothut.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                    I strongly disagree with Richard's statement below as a music podcaster for
                    the last 2 years & knowing others that have been podcasting music for 4-6
                    years. To answer the original poster, there's lots of great stuff out there.

                    There are many websites that have great quality music where music
                    podcasters, internet radio and radio in general can access music from so
                    they can play tracks rather than requiring a CD. Some of the artists are
                    even well known quote unquote commercially. Then there are agencies such as
                    Ariel Publicity that have already been mentioned as well.

                    Websites include the already mentioned Music Alley aka Podsafe Music
                    Network, Jamendo, AirPlay Direct, Radio Submit, Music Submit, IODA Promonet

                    Agencies include (but are not limited to) Ariel Publicity, Deuce Management
                    & Promotion, Manilla PR & many others who inbox me on a regular basis.

                    I am also a member of the Association of Music Podcasting with over 50
                    member shows across the world.

                    The majority of the music that I play on my music show I have either
                    downloaded for free with agreement with the music providers listed above or
                    the artists themselves directly give me a CD or an MP3 and allow me to play
                    their tracks.

                    On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

                    > -
                    >
                    > There are people who create music and are willing to forgo a seperate
                    > royalty payment. Instead they charge a bit more when they sell the song and
                    >
                    > that extra money is enough for them. "Royalty Free" does not mean free to
                    > purchase.
                    >
                    > There are other folks who, for various reasons .. like they want to get the
                    >
                    > exposure, will create music and not charge royalty and, in addition,
                    > actually give the song away for free as well. However the number of folks
                    > who do this are not very many. Also the quality and types of music are
                    > limited.
                    >
                    > Richard Amirault
                    > Boston, MA, USA
                    > http://n1jdu.org
                    > http://bostonfandom.org

                    Erk, Sydney (Australia)
                    Channel Erk podcasts
                    Insomnia Radio: Australia

                    Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo, Blast From The Past,
                    Insomnia Radio: Australia. Producer: Judy's Blast FM. Find all podcasts on
                    Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

                    Author: A Moment In Time (debut novel)

                    http://www.channelerk.com
                    http://australia.insomniaradio.net
                    http://www.amomentintimenovel.com

                    erkpod@...

                    Skype: erkpod
                    Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
                    Twitter: @erkfm & @iraustralia (music)
                    Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
                    Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

                    A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
                    http://musicpodcasting.org

                  • Calvin Powers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2, 2011
                      Ariel Publicity is a PR service that specializes in getting podsafe
                      promotional music to people. It's not hard to sign up with them to receive
                      music through them.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 2, 2011
                        What kind of music do you like to use on your podcast?

                        Mike J

                        On Apr 2, 2011, at 10:03 AM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                        > Ariel Publicity is a PR service that specializes in getting podsafe
                        > promotional music to people. It's not hard to sign up with them to receive
                        > music through them.
                        >
                        > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM, ZakRhyno <zakrhyno@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I have not really been able to find a podcast website that a person can
                        > > download music that they can play on their podcast, any suggests?

                      • Zak Rhyno
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 3, 2011
                          For now I'm looking and listening trying to see what fits.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 3, 2011
                            Thank you for the detail reply, for sure a good tons of resources for me to
                            look at. Thank you again.