Volume level

  • marcbelanger16
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2011
      Hello,

      Can some nice person please tell me what volume level I should release ny podcast at?

      And, just to push my luck, how could I tell what that volume level is in Audacity? The left side of the track bar has gradients and down from 0 to .5 to 1.0 I don't know what that means.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Marc
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2011
        Your podcast should be normalized to -0.0 Db, and in addition should be
        adjusted to keep that level fairly uniformly across the episode. People
        often listen in adverse environments (doing chores, exercising, etc.) and
        you may be competing with background noise. If it's too loud, they can turn
        it down, but if you send it out with levels too low, there's a limit to how
        high they can amplify it.

        --
        Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
        airlock.
      • tapeleg
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2011
          Not trying to pimp my own stuff, but I put out a short tutorial on levels and normalizing on my podcasting site, Pod Geek.

          http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/normalize-your-worries-away/

          I hope that helps.

          The only way to really tell what the level of the audio is to keep an eye on the meters at the top of the screen. As the file plays, it will show up there.