Re: [podcasters] Online space purchasing

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26, 2011
      On 3/24/2011 8:15 PM, Ben Reed wrote:

      > Hey everyone,
      >
      > I got a question, I'm using Word Press to launch an audio drama I'm
      > developing
      > and I'm not sure how much space I should buy, it's got 5 GB at about $
      > 25 I
      > believe, and 15 GB at about $ 49.99. My question is how much do I need
      > (What
      > factors affect the amount of space I should buy)? Or is there some
      > other hosting
      > that you would suggest? I'm a little lost since everyone seems to use a
      > different host!
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ben
      > Writer / Audio, Video editor / Darker Projects Contributer

      If STORAGE is your only concern, then a podcast host (Even a freebie one
      like Mevio or BlipTV) would solve that problem. If the concern is
      BANDWIDTH, then that would depend on a number of factors (Popularity
      being one of them).

      Take my Old Time Radio & Classic TV soap opera podcasts as examples. I
      know they aren't going to appeal to a wide audience BUT I know the Old
      Time Radio & Classic TV communities LOVE them. Because they are so
      niche by today's standards, they don't consume a lot of bandwitth. As
      such, I can get away with using a freebie host for them whereas I might
      not if I had a podsafe music podcast or a show like No Agenda Radio.

      Bottom line - POPULARITY = BANDWIDTH!!!!! The more popular your podcast
      - THE MORE BANDWIDTH IT WILL CONSUME!!!!! Storage has nothing to do
      with it.

      Hope this helps.....

      Cheers :D

      --
      Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
      *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*

    • Ben Reed
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 27, 2011
        Wow, bluehost looks incredible. Are they actually reliable? I'm trying to find
        something thats not a scam or anything.

        www.twitter.com/valkeriecic

        www.youtube.com/valkeriecic

        www.darkerprojects.com
        www.theeventcast.com

        www.theleviathanchronicles.com

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 29, 2011
          I find them very reliable. No, they are not a scam. I have had my sites hosted with them for over 4 years. Downtime is minimal (servers go down at every hosting company). I like the service, and the support is solid.

          Not much more to say about them. They are good. That's about it. :)

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Reed <benpatrickr@...> wrote:

          > Wow, bluehost looks incredible. Are they actually reliable? I'm trying to find
          > something thats not a scam or anything.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Ben
          > Writer / Audio, Video editor / Darker Projects Contributer
          >
          > www.twitter.com/valkeriecic
          >
          > www.youtube.com/valkeriecic
          >
          > www.darkerprojects.com
          > www.theeventcast.com
          >
          > www.theleviathanchronicles.com

        • Patrick McNa...
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 15, 2011
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

            > Hi there, I know these questions get asked over and over, and I did search through the messages and on google but still can't find exactly the answers so please don't hate me for asking what are probably easy questions.

            > I couldn't figure out how to get OurMedia to work last week (It didn't say you need an archive.org account, which I now have), so I uploaded the file to my idisk. It's there as file sharing-- but when I saved the podcast (made in garageband) as aac, which allows me to have chapter headings, mobileme changed it into a .mov file, so subscribing to the feed allowed you to download it but not play it. I exported it again as an mp3 and now it works.
            >
            > So, here are my questions:
            >
            > 1. When I upload a larger file (larger than 10mb) to OurMedia, even if I select "audio" in Spinxpress or do it directly at OurMedia, it turns into a text/xml file. Why is that, and how can I stop it?

            Don't bother with OurMedia. You don't need it. Just upload the files directly to Archive.org. I've been doing a couple free podcasts for a while and using archive.org to host. OurMedia just complicates things.

            > 2. I know, I've been told, file sharing the podcast is wrong, but now if I put a link to a page that hosts the media, won't the user who clicks on it have to then find where to download it from on the page? it's not all that obvious in Archive. with the file sharing a dialogue window pops up immediately. This isn't an issue for Itunes subscribers of course, but I want to make the podcast also downloadable for anybody visiting the page.

            You can post a direct link to the MP3 file in your blog after it's uploaded.

            > 3. My feed puts all the latest blog entries in the dscription of the episode, so it has text about a ticket giveaway to a concert and the full text of the post describing the podcast-- NOT what I wanted to appear (and not I think what WOULD appear if I could use the aac).
            >
            > Is there a way using blogger and Feedburner to avoid this? I want the description info just to have what's in the podcast. (yes I may eventually use Wordpress but Blogger was so quick to set up and I want people to get used to it before I eseentially redesign it).

            So are you talking about podcast and non-podcast postings being posted? Probably the easiest way is to set up a separate blog for the podcast from your text blog.

            > 4. Everyone recommends Libsyn for hosting media, but I would need the $15 version at least since when I fixed this podcast it was 44mb (for some reason one track had gone silent). I would rather not spend money on that AND on a webhost, and I do intend to register a domain with dreamhost or someone else. Dreamhost says it has unlimited bandwidth. Why can't I just use them? I just don't understand why I need both a webhost AND a media host. Is the media host cleaner for those embedded links? And if I go to Libsyn, do I have to kill the feedburner feed?
            >
            > I work as a freelance writer so I want to keep costs to a minimum, at least for now. I know despite the advice I can use my idisk for the next episode or two but I also know that's not a long-term solution.

            You may not need paid hosting at all. As long as the show can be listed as Creative Commons you're fine sticking with archive.org. However, if you're looking to produce a paid show or want full control of the files then you'd need hosting.