Playing Clips While Recording, Questions?

  • zakrhyno
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 26, 2011
      So far I got the basic idea of how to podcast and how to record. The main issue I would like to do is play bummers, intros, outros and music fading out or in. Now my questions is what software can I run on Windows 7 that will do this for me? I'm not trying to buy hardware to as a mixer is a good idea but my goal is keep it all on my computer. I not sure if I'm making any sense but I thought I put it out here for someone to answer.
      Thanks
    • Pat Cook
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 26, 2011
        On 3/26/2011 12:44 PM, zakrhyno wrote:

        > So far I got the basic idea of how to podcast and how to record. The
        > main issue I would like to do is play bummers, intros, outros and
        > music fading out or in. Now my questions is what software can I run on
        > Windows 7 that will do this for me? I'm not trying to buy hardware to
        > as a mixer is a good idea but my goal is keep it all on my computer. I
        > not sure if I'm making any sense but I thought I put it out here for
        > someone to answer.
        > Thanks

        The plain & simple fact of the matter is we'll all have to eventually
        move our music, bumpers, intros, outros, sweepers & other associated
        stuff OFF of the computer & onto hardware mixers (Especially should
        hardware mixers become advanced enough where they can hold a HARD DRIVE
        or be plugged into one if they don't have this capability already) as
        this would not only look & sound more professional, but would also make
        management MUCH MUCH easier too :D

        This is why MANY podcasters have already made the transition

        Just my opinion.....

        Cheers :D

        --
        Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
        *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*

      • ZakRhyno
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 26, 2011
          Why is that? This is 2011 and everything is going the way of computer, why
          have something as a mixer, extra equipment while everything is going the way
          of being more simple. You state faces but don't say why. I have seen some
          software out there but it don't work with Windows 7 or Vista. Also a person
          can have more than one computer to do thing with and not just sue use a main
          system. I was asking for suggests as if the community have heard anything
          as there are over 2000 members. So the odds someone had to seen nothing is
          well low. Also I would have to disagree with you and say that having
          everything on you system is MUCH more easy.

          > So far I got the basic idea of how to podcast and how to record. The
          > main issue I would like to do is play bummers, intros, outros and
          > music fading out or in. Now my questions is what software can I run on
          > Windows 7 that will do this for me? I'm not trying to buy hardware to
          > as a mixer is a good idea but my goal is keep it all on my computer. I
          > not sure if I'm making any sense but I thought I put it out here for
          > someone to answer.
          > Thanks

          The plain & simple fact of the matter is we'll all have to eventually
          move our music, bumpers, intros, outros, sweepers & other associated
          stuff OFF of the computer & onto hardware mixers (Especially should
          hardware mixers become advanced enough where they can hold a HARD DRIVE
          or be plugged into one if they don't have this capability already) as
          this would not only look & sound more professional, but would also make
          management MUCH MUCH easier too :D

          This is why MANY podcasters have already made the transition

          Just my opinion.....

          Cheers :D

          --
          Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
          *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*
          *Audio Podcast <http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/>*
          *Video Podcast <http://tlwctv.mevio.com/>*
          *BACK TO THE FUTURE CLASSIC TV SOAP OPERA PODCAST
          <http://backtothefuturetvclassicsoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
          *BACK TO THE FUTURE RADIO SOAP OPERA PODCAST
          <http://backtothefutureradiosoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
          Englewood, CO

          _____

          No virus found in this message.

        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 26, 2011
            Because computers alone just don't have the capabilities of producing
            professional quality audio and video that studio equipment does. There
            are just some things that computers just can't do (At least not easily)

            Take transitioning between audio clips for example. Computers don't
            have the fade in & fade out capabilities that studio equipment does.
            Ditto with video clips.

            True software helps BUT that's all it does - HELPS! The rest of it is
            dependent on the computer

            In short, you can't rely on software to do EVERYTHING. You'll learn
            that as you go along

            Cheers :D

            --
            *TLWC Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*
            *TLWC Audio Podcast <http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/>*
            *TLWC Video Podcast <http://tlwctv.mevio.com/>*

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 26, 2011
              Maybe true but I like to go in that direction. Can you help in a way then
              not having a mixer?

              --
              Pat Cook
              Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
              *TLWC Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*
              *TLWC Audio Podcast <http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/>*
              *TLWC Video Podcast <http://tlwctv.mevio.com/>*
              *BACK TO THE FUTURE CLASSIC TV SOAP OPERA PODCAST
              <http://backtothefuturetvclassicsoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
              *BACK TO THE FUTURE RADIO SOAP OPERA PODCAST
              <http://backtothefutureradiosoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
              Englewood, CO

            • Calvin Powers
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011
                I think it's very easy to produce a podcast completely on the computer as
                long as it's not a live podcast. In other words, you assemble all your show
                elements together on the computer and then mix them into a single MP3 file
                using Audacity.

                I've been doing my Taproot
                Radio<http://www.taprootradio.com/search/label/podcast>podcast like
                that for several years. I record the interviews at the radio
                station and capture them to my portable recorder. I record my intro and
                outro talk sets either at home or in my car (has good acoustics). I have my
                promo spots and theme music in MP3 files. Then Imix them all together in
                audacity to create the final show.

                So that approach is definitely doable completely in software. All you'd need
                is a USB microphone and you're set.

                Having said that, I also have to say that I have never found a USB based
                microphone that I really truly liked. I've used several that are OK, but
                I've always had trouble with hum and other noise.

                If you are talking about trying to do a "live to tape" show where youare
                talking and mixing all the show elements in real time. It gets tougher to do
                this completely in the computer. I've tried this a couple of times with
                limited success. The type of software you are looking for is "cart
                software," which lets you load up various files and associate them with
                groups of buttons on a window. They play when you press the button. This
                lets you cue your intro and outro music bumpers, etc. But all that has to be
                coordinated with something to record your voice and other live elements like
                phone calls. I'm not going to say it can't be done. But I've never seen a
                software package that can manage all the elements of producing a live to
                tape podcast show.

                Calvin

              • Michael Sitarzewski
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011
                  If you're on a Mac, you should download this app and try it. http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/

                  It's meant for live streaming a radio show, but it has an "archive" feature that can be used for creating a podcast too. :)

                  It's not free, but it does everything you've mentioned, including a sound board and nabbing audio from Skype for interviews.

                  Michael. :)
                  http://callisto.fm

                • Pat Cook
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011
                    On 3/27/2011 7:29 AM, Calvin Powers wrote:

                    > I think it's very easy to produce a podcast completely on the computer as
                    > long as it's not a live podcast. In other words, you assemble all your
                    > show
                    > elements together on the computer and then mix them into a single MP3 file
                    > using Audacity.

                    But if you do your show LIVE & then podcast the archive as I do, then
                    you want either a mixer OR a soundblaster with "What U Hear" (Look for
                    this because that's what it's called!) functionality.

                    Cheers :D

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011
                      Huh? I'm just looking for a way to be done on computer 100% cause it can be
                      done. Were trying to get away from the mixer. Ideas?

                      On 3/27/2011 7:29 AM, Calvin Powers wrote:

                      > I think it's very easy to produce a podcast completely on the computer as
                      > long as it's not a live podcast. In other words, you assemble all your
                      > show
                      > elements together on the computer and then mix them into a single MP3 file
                      > using Audacity.

                      But if you do your show LIVE & then podcast the archive as I do, then
                      you want either a mixer OR a soundblaster with "What U Hear" (Look for
                      this because that's what it's called!) functionality.

                      Cheers :D

                      --
                      Pat Cook
                      Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
                      *TLWC Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*
                      *TLWC Audio Podcast <http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/>*
                      *TLWC Video Podcast <http://tlwctv.mevio.com/>*
                      *BACK TO THE FUTURE CLASSIC TV SOAP OPERA PODCAST
                      <http://backtothefuturetvclassicsoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
                      *BACK TO THE FUTURE RADIO SOAP OPERA PODCAST
                      <http://backtothefutureradiosoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
                      Englewood, CO

                    • David Smith
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 24 2:20 PM
                        It was 27 Mar 2011, when Pat Cook commented:

                        > On 3/27/2011 7:29 AM, Calvin Powers wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I think it's very easy to produce a podcast completely on the computer as
                        > > long as it's not a live podcast. In other words, you assemble all your
                        > > show elements together on the computer and then mix them into a single
                        > > MP3 file using Audacity.
                        > >
                        > But if you do your show LIVE & then podcast the archive as I do, then you
                        > want either a mixer OR a soundblaster with "What U Hear" (Look for this
                        > because that's what it's called!) functionality.
                        >
                        > Cheers :D

                        I've had fair if not perfect luck using SAM Broadcaster, software that's
                        intended for live streaming of various types, but also has built-in
                        capability to record the stream to MP3 at the same time -- mostly for
                        archival purposes, but workable for podcasts. Since it is made for live
                        streaming, it has good tools for adding sounds and whatnot on-the-fly, all
                        of which will show up in the MP3.

                        SAM Broadcaster costs $299 US. I got it for DJing on Second Life as well
                        as useful practice for my hoped-for next career in radio, so I felt it was
                        worthwhile. Might be worth a look.

                        http://www.spacialaudio.com/?page=sam-broadcaster&tab=tab-sam-broadcaster-
                        overview

                        Good night, and good luck.